Trains from Stockholm to Copenhagen

Old Jul 11th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trains from Stockholm to Copenhagen

My husband and want to travel from Stockholm to Copenhagen and wondering if a train is a good way to go. We enjoyed trains in Italy, Spain, and England. Please give my any helpful hints about traveling by train on this route. Thank you .
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 03:03 PM

Yes -it's about 5 hours or so by train - flying would not be much faster if any.

check https://www.seat61.com/sj2000.htm for all you need to know. Other sights I like for general info on trains in Scandinavia and Europe (like 1st vs 2nd class) - www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

Train also lets you see the Swedish countryside en route -flying does too but from a far different vantage point.
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 12:09 AM

I would fly, Swedish Rail is not always reliable. 5 hours is a big chunk out of a day and flying is definitely quicker, even taking into account getting to/from airports and check in times.
You will miss out on looking at the countryside though and the crossing of the Øresund bridge. Depending when in October and if the weather is nice, the trees do look wonderful in their autumn foliage.
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 01:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've taken this very trip by rail. Other than the bridge which was notable, what I saw in the countryside were a LOT of fir and similar trees. Of course, I took the trip in November so your "countryside" experience may turn out to be more memorable than mine was.
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 05:32 AM

How much time can you save by flying- airports have delays too and you have to be there an hour or so before flight - have to get to airport, etc.

And what do you come to Europe for -to see airports and tarmacs or the lay of the land- OK not the most dramatically scenic of scenes but still you see Sweden and go thru its cities, etc.
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input and suggestions. We only have 2 nights in Copenhagen and that was the only reason I would consider flying, but I hate the waiting and just the unpleasantness that usually comes along with it before and after you get off of the plane.
I have checked out all the sites listed for trains and will go from there. I need to wait a few days to book as we are still more than 90 days out.
I live in Costa Rica now if anyone ever has any questions about this beautiful country.
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 08:12 AM

Going over the Oresound Bridge/Tunnel in a train is awesome - yeh the rest of the scenery may be rather blah as dukey1 says but the bridge-tunnel superb.
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 11:49 PM

The 0710 flight gets you to Copenhagen at 0825, it takes 20mins or so to get from Copenhagen airport to the city centre. The high speed train leaving at 0621 gets to Copenhagen central station at 1132. I'm not sure what unpleasantness you are referring to, but flying in Scandinavia is not like flying in the US where there is always some sort of delay or problem.

> You don't have to wait until 90 days before travel and I would not suggest that you wait. I would recommend you book seat reservations as well as the ticket. The website you need for booking the rail tickets is this:

https://www.sj.se/en/home.html#/
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 06:15 AM

Yes flying seems a lot faster all in all -yet I still like to see the lay of the land from trains -that's in part why I travel but everyone is different and with such short time in Copenhagen flying makes sense in this case.

The ultimate time saver however would be to take the Stockholm-Malmo night train -with couchettes to sleep in - and arrive in Copenhagen about 8 am.
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I booked the X2000 train today on
https://www.sj.se/en/home.html#/