Search

Banff/Yoho/Kootenay/Jasper Travelers Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2017, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banff/Yoho/Kootenay/Jasper Travelers Advice Please

Hello all,
We're traveling for the first time to the world famous Banff area. I did quite some research online. Our current 4-Day plan includes: Lake Minnewanka (Boat Rental); Banff Gondola; Johnston Canyon; Lake Louise Gondola; Lake Louise: Morraine Lake; Bow Lake; Payto Lake; Takakaw Falls; Wapta Falls; Natural Bridge; Emerald Lake; Marble Canyon; Paint Pots; Sinclair Canyon; Numa Falls; Icefields Parkway; Ice Explorer-Glacier Skywalk; Athabasca Falls; Jasper Skytram; Meligne Lake Cruise; Meligne Canyon (first two bridges); Pyramid Lake & Island.
Now, I have a few questions which the area-familiar travelers can help:
1) Wapta Falls will cost an extra hour drive plus the 1.5 hour round trip trail. Is it well worth it?

2) Are all three rides, Banff Gondola, Lake Louise Gondola and Jasper Skytram, equally important and unique? OK to cut Jasper Skytram for time gain on a full day, or well worth the effort to try and make it work?

3) Since the Ice Explorer-Skywalk is a few hour experience, is it absolutely a must see?

4) Time will not really allow more than 30 mins on Maligne Canyon trail. Can we feel comfortable the first two bridges fairly cover this site and experience, or rather just cut altogether?

Last but not least, any other real car accessible (or real short trail) must-sees missing in our itinerary? Also, any helpful tips on the above attractions?

Please be so kind and share your wisdom with us. We truly appreciate your kindness and we thank you so much in advance!
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 04:31 AM

That's far too much to attempt in 4 days; you will need to make some choices here. IME your agenda would take at least a week. Plus, if you're going this summer, there will be crowds due to the 150th anniversary.

First, Jasper, Ice Explorer-Glacier Skywalk,the Icefields Parkway and anything up around Jasper: Plan for a day to drive the Icefields Parkway. Yes, you can drive it without stopping in perhaps 4 hours from Banff to Jasper, but why? It's one of the most beautiful roads in the world, I think. You certainly can't drive to Jasper and back, or see anything there, in that period of time. If you do go to Jasper, plan 2 nights if not 3.

I'd skip the Ice Explorer-Skywalk, personally. For the Maligne Canyon trail - it's beautiful. Even if you can only go down 15 minutes (and it will be uphill going back), I'd do it. Lake Minnewanka is worth a drive around, you'll likely get to see big horn sheep.

Have you obtained lodging? Your itinerary will need to revolve around where you can get lodging (Jasper will be the most challenging).
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sludick. I understand our time in the parks are tight. We'll try the best, accordingly. I will work some items around to give the Icefields Parkway more time.
Maligne Canyon is in plan.
"Lake Minnewanka is worth a drive around" - You mean by boat, or access and viewpoints by car?
Speaking of big horn sheep wildlife in the area, do we have to worry about bears?
Thanks again for your help!
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 08:22 AM

Just a drive around Lake Minnewanka. There are often bighorn sheep hanging around where there is a rocky cliff on one side of the lake (maybe even walking around by the lake), mostly in the early morning.

Bears - anywhere you will be, bears are a possibility. There will be signs at trailheads where bears have been spotted instructing you to hike in groups of 5 or more. Make noise, practice good bear safety. Here is a link to good instruction:

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/mtn/ou...s-bears-people

Last time we were there (last fall), there were also signs warning of wolves. Apparently there had been some incidents of wolves coming into campgrounds and getting into people's food, etc. As far as I know, they had not attacked any people. Again, just be aware and follow instructions.
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 08:23 AM

Drive by car, I mean. Sorry.
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 09:49 AM

The trails around Moraine Lake are the only place with a group size restriction (and one other place sometimes?). There it's a group of at least four adults.

You can't drive around Minnewanka - details on the Minnewanka Loop drive were provided in answer to this same query on another forum.

Lake Minnewanka has had a number of bear warnings/closures. As long as you don't cross closures, you'll be fine. Just keep your heads up, stay well back from any bears and if you picnic, abide by the rules on disposing of waste/food.

The wolves were never aggressive towards humans. They were simply after food/food waste that people were repeatedly leaving out/unattended in violation of regulation. Not an issue now because the stupidity of those humans caused the wolves to be euthanized.
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Kgsneds! Helpful and reassuring information!
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 10:56 AM

Here's a loop about Lake Minnewanka and a few other places you may be interested in:

http://banffandbeyond.com/scenic-dri...national-park/

kgsneds - sad, sad news about the wolves. People either just don't think or sometimes seem to be so self-occupied that they just don't care.
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 12:13 PM

Regarding Wapta Falls, it's a pleasant hike and the falls are interesting, but given the time you have available, if you do go to Yoho NP, you should opt instead to visit Takakaw Falls which are really quite spectacular.
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

TY Laverndrye! Will do
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 08:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
One of the more disappointing stops was Maligne Canyon. The views into the Canyon are third rate at best.

Some of the better known falls along the road from Banff to Jasper do not offer very good views. In some cases they have viewing stands that actually block partial views.

Takakaw Falls in Yoho is excellent.

I would definitely add a few stops.

Mistaya Canyon at KM 71. A 5-10 minute walk from the parking lot and definitely worth the time. Great views.

Tangle Falls at KM 134. This is a beautiful roadside waterfall. You can park on the west side of the road and be careful crossing. This waterfall is best seen in the afternoon when the sun isn't in your eyes.

Angel Glacier about 15 miles below the town of Jasper. This is a spectacular glacier that you'll remember the rest of your life.

Take 93 south of the town of Jasper and go onto 93A. You may have to ask for directions. From the parking lot it's a mostly level 2/3 mile walk. You will be on one side of the valley and the glacier will be on the west side. Edit Cavel Lake is in the middle. Absolutely spectacular views. Definitely go in the morning before the sun goes to the west side and is in your eyes.
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 11:04 AM

This summer a permit is required to drive on the Edith Cavell Road (93A). The permits are only issued 8-10am and likely will be gone the first day they are issued (up two days in advance of the date). They are also for four specific times, so you may not get a morning time if you are late in the game getting a permit. So to make that work, you either need to be in Jasper for a couple of days or do one of the guided hikes.

I think the point at Maligne Canyon is that it's an incredibly narrow slot canyon. At points it's very narrow at the to, but drops WAY down. Best views are from the various bridges. If you're limited in terms of time, start at the cafeteria/gift shop and walk down from there. That's the deepest part of the canyon.
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 02:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
kgsneds,

So what you're saying is that they managed to ruin one of the truly spectacular sights.

TOO BAD!!!

I'm glad I got to go there twice!!!!

I wonder if you could get passes online? I would call to find out.
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 10:24 AM

It's not ruined by any means. In fact, it's probably better because the permit system means fewer people and cars on the road and on the trails. And, in any case, the Cavell Meadows trail has yet to open this summer because of a bear in the area.

The permit system is (as far as we know) for this summer only. The parking area was heavily damaged several years ago by debris from a massive serac fall that caused a tidal wave of water/ice/silt. It badly needed repairs/redo - you can't do construction in the winter and there was no way to do it in the summer with cars parked everywhere. Poor timing to do it during such a busy summer, but presumably it took a while to secure the funds & get bids from contractors, and things were finalized before the decision to make park passes free.

Passes are not available online or by phone. They are only available in person at the Jasper Parks Canada Centre between 8 and 10am.
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 11:00 AM

For question #2, I can't comment on Jasper, but I do recommend that when you go to Lake Louise, you take the chair rather than the gondola to have a different riding experience from Banff.

At Banff, you'll get to climb all the stairs for different views. At Lake Louise, you can join a guided hike at the top.

Both are lovely!