Help with Outerwear for Ireland in March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2017, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Ireland next March for 10 days traveling around the island. Obviously I am planning on rain during at least a portion of the time we are there and, as we will be visiting the coast, a lot of wind. So, I'm thinking a hooded trench would be my best option. However, would it be advisable to go with one that is waterproof over water-resistant? I am looking at London Fog (and similiar) trenches and they don't seem to be waterproof but rather more water-resistant. For the record, I don't plan on doing any formal hiking. This would be more for wearing around towns, sightseeing, and getting out and about.
Old Jun 3rd, 2017, 12:34 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I have my own favorite which is waterproof, love it but no hood. Instead, I prefer a vented umbrella, one with a space that allows the wind to go through so doesn't turn inside out. Mine is compact so fits in my bag and has a button to open it. I wouldn't get the cheapest version as the point is for it to be as resistant to the elements as possible. I've walked for miles with it in the UK and find it works for me. Then I have a hat & scarf to wear if warmth is needed.
Old Jun 3rd, 2017, 12:45 PM

Light Waterproof and comfortable. March is a diverse month, hardly ever the same. I'm a 6' 2" male and honestly believe women with umbrellas should be Banned!! or at least need a license.
Old Jun 3rd, 2017, 01:22 PM

I seem to rarely pass anyone where I go, Tony. You're likely safe, from me anyway.
Old Jun 3rd, 2017, 03:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a waterproof jacket that I can layer a fleece or sweater under. I need to find that umbrella.
Old Jun 3rd, 2017, 04:15 PM

We have traveled around the world with Gortex rain jackets and pants. Pair the jacket with a fleece vest and you are good to go. Gortex is the only material we've found that is waterproof and that is a necessity when it's a downpour. Also, remember waterproof shoes.
Old Jun 3rd, 2017, 05:36 PM

Gore Tex is a trademark name for waterproof fabric. It is good but no longer the only great watetproof fabric available. LL Bean, Lands End and Eddie Bauer have a very good selection of waterproof rain gear. Also a bit more pricey is Patagonia, North Face etc. I have even worn a North Face jacket that was only water resistant but it was great.As good as my Gore Tex jacket. I would advise going with waterproof in case you get caught in a downpour but, honestly, the latest fabrics all provide excellent protection.
Old Jun 4th, 2017, 04:24 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We were there in March too and wore lined trench coats, no hoods.
Old Jun 4th, 2017, 06:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
My wife has used one of these on our last few trips:
http://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/womens/oute...stream-trench/

It's outdoorsy looking but still has a nice style, waterproof, lightweight, compresses down to a tiny size, perfect for travel. Right now on a great sale at REI, so now she has two colors!

There are quite a few similar products by Marmot, Mountain Hardware, Patagonia, Columbia, etc. in the outdoor type of stores.

My experience is that several light layers are better than one heavy layer.
Old Jun 4th, 2017, 06:50 AM

Let's hear it for layers!
Old Jun 4th, 2017, 05:01 PM

For Ireland in March, my choice would be a long Barbour waterproof jacket and hat.
Old Jun 4th, 2017, 05:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
laverendrye, that would be mine also if I could afford it. I have a Jack Wolfskin and love it mostly for the hidden pockets but it does keep the wind and rain out. Hoping you have sunny weather.

I broke down and bought a hat last trip there. My head and ears were so cold. They have a good selection.