Sad News for Maine Lobster Lovers

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2017, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read that Waterman's Beach lobster in So. Thomaston, Maine closed Sept 4, 2016 after many wonderful years in business. This was one of our favorite places for picnic table dining by the water. It's also a place I usually recommended to visitors planning a trip to Maine.

We're scheduled for a July visit to mid-coast Maine. There are other great lobster shacks but this one was kind of special. One day, just driving around, we noticed a little hand painted sign and followed it to Waterman's.
Old May 26th, 2017, 01:02 PM

I guess too many people made McLoon's their new favorite?

Old May 26th, 2017, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Although McLoon's became our new favorite, we visit more than one place when we vacation in Maine. And we don't overlook the fried clam places either.
Old May 26th, 2017, 03:42 PM

In sadder news for lovers of Maine lobster, China has tripled its annual order for lobster this year, so prices should be nice and high all season long. Record highs, probably.
Old May 26th, 2017, 04:33 PM

The past seasons of cheap lobster are over. I read they are cutting back the legal catch this year to adjust pricing and give a shock to supply.
Old May 26th, 2017, 04:38 PM

But hey, we had a good run the past few years!
Old May 27th, 2017, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

The sisters-in-law simply wanted to retire after 30 years and the lobster shack is on property the family has owned for 150 years. Their husbands get back from lobstering at 12:30 but they were working until 8 or 9 pm. They want to enjoy Maine summers again.

Here's the article about Waterman's closing:
http://www.pressherald.com/2016/08/1...r-good-sept-4/
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 07:58 AM

Will be visiting Maine again this year at the end of Sept., and planned to eat at Waterman's. So sad. Can someone please recommend lobster shacks that will be open at that time ? We will be traveling the coast from Bar Harbor to Portland. We try to do this about every other year. Looks like 2 year old research may be outdated. A lot of the shacks are closed at that time. Where is McLoon's? I don't recall it in my previous research. Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

McLoon's is in South Thomaston and seems to stay open later than the others. Their website says Sept - Oct closed on Wednesdays. I know we have eaten there in late September. Weather is usually still nice. South Thomaston isn't very far from Waterman's. Some shacks are open weekends only after Labor Day. This July we're staying in the Damariscotta area. Mascongus Bay lobster might be open.
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 11:54 AM

Thanks dfrost. You are very helpful on this site. I gather from your handle you are from NH. I'm going in late September in order to catch some changing leaves in the mountains, then head over to the coast for some lobster. Although it won't make much difference to me, I hope someone who's been to a lobster shack will report on the prices. A couple of years ago, a lobster roll was about $20.
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 01:32 PM

Most of Maine is still in tourist mode until after foliage season, so there should be enough lobsters to go around, especially along the coast. All of the seaside towns

In general, prices have gone up for seafood, clam rolls, now around $16.95 in Kittery these days, fish and chips around 18.00 or so. (We pay $19.00 for fish and chips in York, but really, it's two huge pieces of fish, enough for 2 meals) at York River Landing.

We usually pay around $7-8 dollar a pound in summer for lobster.

Here's a bit of trivia: many, many years ago, lobsters in Maine were enormous, 15-20 pounders were not uncommon. And prisoners in Maine were fed them so regularly, that they complained about having to eat lobster every day! And they were so plentiful, they were used as fertilizer.

Times have changed.
Old Jun 24th, 2017, 12:42 AM
Original Poster

jeterray, that's a little pricey for a lobster roll. The Beach Plum (local multi-location restaurant) show 6 oz roll for $17.99 but higher for their larger rolls. I'm sure a lot of places have $20+ rolls and you don't want to get a MacDonald's or D'Angelo lobster roll (the flavor is different if vacuum packed lobster instead of fresh picked). I would check to see if the Bite Into ME food truck is still at the Fort Williams Park in South Portland when you visit in late September. Then walk over to a bench overlooking Casco Bay. Great view.

For quite a few years we avoided the Tamarack in Laconia NH. It used to be a great lobster roll even if they admitted to using some langostino as filler but then ownership changed and maybe they started using too much langostino so we stopped visiting. But last year we were wandering around and the seafood drive-in we had wanted to try in Guilford was already closed for the season. The Tamarack was still open and we were desperate. It was a rainy day so we ate in the car and they were trying to close early but it was a pretty good lobster roll for an inland place.

I don't know when the menu pix from Ken's Place in Scarborough ME (just south of Portland) was taken, but the price shows as $12.99 and the lobster roll comes with French fries. It's one of those big, order at the counter type of places but we like that kind of place. Ken's also serves fried clams both ways which is what I've ordered. Ken's is also seasonal so I would check hours open in late September.

Supermarket lobster is running $6.99/lb here in NH. Last weekend I got a 1 1/4 lb lobster which they steam for you, and brought it home to make our own lobster rolls. It was just enough for two big sandwiches (toasted Pepperidge Farm potato rolls). Cost was just under $11.

I think prices are higher in Kittery and York area than further north.
Old Jun 28th, 2017, 07:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I missed this when first posted. Major bummer on Waterman's. For us, it was one of our favorites. We missed it last trip because we went down to Port Clyde's first and a car accident closed the road so we got stuck in Port Clyde for hours and Waterman's was closed by the time we could get to it. I also loved their pies too esp the raspberry.
Old Jun 30th, 2017, 02:09 PM

I just saw this thread. Not sure if I've ever been to Waterman's but it's always a bit sad when a longtime favorite goes out of business.
I've always enjoyed McLoon's, which was quite close to the two Spruce Head cottages I rented in recent years.

Calabria, the proprietor of a B&B where I stayed last year told me that story about the lobsters. He said they were called the "cockroaches of the ocean"!

Yes, times have changed.