Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Romantic Couples trip in Maine ( Bar Harbor maybe)

Old May 13th, 2017, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a mid 30's couple with very busy lives and three small children that want to take a anniversary trip to Maine in Mid October. (without kids).

We will fly out of Little Rock ( or Memphis ) what ever is cheapest into the town closest we were visiting. I was thinking Bar Harbor but could be persuaded to go elsewhere.

I know it will be colder than we are used to in the South ( looks like around 58 as high in the day on average).

I would love to hike a bit in Acadia NP, see the ocean, walk around cute little coastal shops, eat some traditional Maine fare etc.

Would like recommendations on bed and breakfasts, things to do in the area, etc.

We will rent a car. Plan on flying in on a Wednesday afternoon and leaving Sunday. m
Old May 13th, 2017, 11:26 PM

I can recommend The Shore Path Cottage, terrific B&B.

United has flights Memphis to Bangor (closest major airport to Bar harbor) with change of planes in Newark.
Old May 14th, 2017, 01:15 AM

I'm not crazy about Bar Harbor mid-October but I'm not a big Bar Harbor fan. Mostly it's the mid-October idea because in the northeast we can have a beautiful start to October and then it can get dark and rainy. If there is foliage that late, Yankee Magazine has declared Camden one of the prettiest places for foliage. It also has shops and Mt. Battie. We usually aim for mid-coast. I think I would fly into Portland. Mid-coast locations would be an easy day trip if you stayed in Portland or you could stay someplace where lodging could be cancelled if weather was bad. There would be more to see and do in Portland area if weather turned bad.
Old May 18th, 2017, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for both replies. I know nothing about the area and have always wanted to go so will look into both recommendations. Thanks so much.
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

We will be flying into Portland on Wednesday and will be there Wednesday afternoon until about Sunday mid morning. One day ( maybe Thursday) we are driving to Amherst MA 1) because I absolutely love Emily Dickinson and seeing her home is on my bucket list and 2) I'm interested in Amherst College and have always wanted to visit the grounds. I realize that is a 3 hour trip each way but I think we will do it. Then on Friday maybe stay around Portland- do a Lobster cruise? and on Saturday head up towards Freeport to shop at LL Bean, drive the coast and just hang out around town.

We are hoping for the tail end of some fall color and great weather!
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 10:41 PM

Much as I enjoy Bar Harbor/Acadia, you can find several towns in Maine where you can see the ocean, sample local fare, and experience little coastal shops, so you have options. Examples would include Ogunquit, The Kennebunks, The Yorks, Rockland, Camden, and Boothbay Harbor, all further south than Bar Harbor. Only Camden has coastal mountains otherwise, though, and no place else has the extensive trails and parkland for hiking.

dfrostnh is right about the weather you could experience that time of year, though the further south you are the lower your chance of experiencing colder weather.
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 10:55 PM

rachellynn99, just read your most recent post. Portland and Freeport are excellent destinations, the former for (relatively) urban options, the latter for shopping. If you plan to explore the coast, Ogunquit, The Kennebunks, and The Yorks are close by Portland and good choices.

Liked the Dickinson House a lot, and Amherst College has a pleasant little art museum on the grounds. There's also the National Yiddish Book Center at nearby Hampshire College if that's of interest. There's actually a lot to see in the Pioneer Valley area (Historic Deerfield, Mt. Holyoke College Art Museum, various Northampton attractions especially the Smith College Art Museum), though you likely won't have time for them.
Old Sep 29th, 2017, 12:47 AM

If you want to make a long day of it, I think you could also visit Fruitlands where the Alcotts attempted a utopian community with some other like minded people. The bad part about the 3 hour drive is it's mostly on boring and busy interstate. Beware of rush hour traffic. You will also be going thru beautiful Portsmouth NH but there is only so much you can do in a day.

If you wanted a more scenic drive but it will add at least 30-45 minutes to your drive, you could return via north on I91 to Brattleboro VT then over to Keene then Concord NH then east to connect with I95. Google Maps will tell you to take Rt 101 which is probably a good idea since you would be after dark. But, if you spend all the daylight hours in the Amherst area, best to go back the way you came. Get an early start and have an adventure.

You can check the foliage color maps so if north of Portland color is dwindling, you can see if south to Portsmouth is better. If you like a meal with a cooking demonstration, Stonewall Kitchens in Kittery is fun. They call it a school but there is no hands on. I think the Casco Bay cruise to see the lights (sunset run) would be more romantic than the lobster cruise. Dress warm. Keep in mind Freeport shopping is aimed at out of state shoppers. The Old Port Area of Portland has some fun shops. You can do a search on Chowhound to see what restaurants are recommended. If you like ice cream, don't miss MDI ice cream (Mount Desert Island) since you aren't going to Bar Harbor.
Old Sep 29th, 2017, 06:15 AM

Some Portland, ME restaurant suggestions I've enjoyed: Fore Street (fine dining), Duckfat (a lunch style place offering fries cooked in guess what?), Becky's Diner (just what it sounds like), Otto (pizza), Flatbread Company (flatbread style pizza), Nosh (gourmet sandwiches). Two Lights Lobster Shack (if still open) reportedly is good, but haven't been.
Old Sep 29th, 2017, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful thank you both again for popping back in with more suggestions. We do plan on getting up very early and heading towards Amherst so we can spend the entire day there and then head back that evening. I'll give the information about the drive through VT on the way back to my husband as he is the navigator. The more I keep searching the more I'm determining that this really should be a much longer vacation- but we will have to fit in what we can.

We do love food and will look up the restaurants that were mentioned. Again- thanks so much for all your thoughts. We have our room, car and flight booked so we are just waiting a few more weeks until we can head out.
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 06:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Portland restaurant:
https://www.lolita-portland.com/gallery/

Harpswell restaurant:
https://www.dolphinmarinaandrestaura...estaurant.html

Ocean and hiking:
http://www.damariscottariver.org/preserves-trails/

https://visitmaine.com/organization/...53E72AF048924C

http://www.bates.edu/harward/bates-m...in-shortridge/

IMO, low tide is the best ocean side hiking time

http://me.usharbors.com/monthly-tides/Maine-Midcoast