Rovinj Vs. Piran in late November

Old May 12th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rovinj Vs. Piran in late November

I am trying to decide between the two for a November trip of Venice, Ljubljana, Bled, and Vienna. I am traveling with my mom who is a photographer (late 60s) and my sister (early 20s). Would love to get input from people who have been to both, or ofcourse from locals?

Rovinj would be an hour detour for us and slightly more expensive in Gooptis, but it seems to be slightly more beautiful. Also I love love love Croatia, and my mom and sister have never been.
Old May 12th, 2017, 12:31 PM

I visited Rovinj many years ago..very picturesque

November , as you probably know, is not the best month to be on the coast.
Don't know Piran, it might be easier to reach from Ljubljana.
Old May 13th, 2017, 01:06 AM

I know both well, Rovinj would be my choice every time for a short visit.
Old May 13th, 2017, 01:12 AM

Another big plus with Rovinj is it is really close to Pula, only 40 minutes by bus from Rovinj. How much time will you have?
Old May 13th, 2017, 09:14 AM

The (probably bad) weather will be the same all over Istria. But what about Porec (Parenzo)?
Old May 14th, 2017, 12:42 AM

Is this a day trip from a particular place or would you stay the night? I like both towns a lot but if it's a day trip from Ljubljana, I'd lean towards Piran simply because of the shorter transit time, especially since the sun sets very early in November - at around 4.30pm. If you're staying the night, then this does not matter. Rovinj is larger, which might provide you more photo ops and it can be a good base to explore other places in Istria, although many would require a car, such as the Istrian hill towns.
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 05:08 AM

Rovinj is stunning and fun to explore but honestly in Nov. doubt I would spend the extra time...Piran we only saw from ferry stop but it too looked beautiful but again the vibrancy is going to be diminished in Nov. The larger cities in your itinerary should be nice but do question how those towns look in Nov. with colder weather and rain. But have not been there during Nov. and of course weather is not to be predicted these days.
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 07:00 AM

We stayed in Piran a long time ago - Tito was in the process of dying at the time. However I have fond memories of the place. Keeping in mind that many years have passed, when visiting Piran we had to park in large parking areas just outside of town. The reason was to limit traffic in its very narrow streets. We would then get a pass for an hour to bring our car and baggage to our hotel.

The town itself was beautiful and charming - truly a picture postcard kind of place. Those were my jogging days so when out for my morning run, I came to the town square and saw what I at first thought was a statue of general brandishing sword. It was not, it was a statue of the the great violinist Tartini holding his bow. Right then I knew Piran was my kind of place.
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We've stayed in Piran and Rovinj and they are both lovely but I'd vote for Rovinj. It is bigger and has better views by the port. More to see and do there and gorgeous architecture. Late November will be off-off-season so not sure how much will be open in either place. Can you possibly go a bit earlier in the year?

Kay