Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

International trip to Zurich, in parts...?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2017, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I consider myself a savvy international travel to Europe, I am experiencing a new problem.
I have arranged my own last 8-9 trips, using the industry website (matrix.ita software.com) to research airfare, direct me to the most competitive airline for booking, etc.

I was dreaming of a quick trip to Switzerland in a couple weeks, without breaking the bank.
When I input PIT-->ZRH, I get $1600 for my dates.
BUT, if I check booking PIT-->JFK, then JFK--->ZRH, I get 'legal' and fully compatible connections WITH THE SAME airline (Delta), for $1100.

Of course I have made sure I have plenty of connection time (so if I have to claim my checked piece and re-check-in in JFK, that's fully doable).
In fact, to save this $500, I will have to endure a 6-9 hour layover in JFK in both directions (I'm willing).

Is this allowable? And if so, why would Delta's site not show it?
Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2017, 11:31 AM

You can call Delta and get the lowdown. I can't imagine it wouldn't be allowable.
Old May 10th, 2017, 05:29 AM

I had similar experience when trying to book a trip from Toronto to Kenya thru Europe. No way could I get the fare shown on matrix.ita by booking with the airline, Swiss Air. Google flights showed a similar fare but when I tried a dummy booking, more than once, it said it was no longer available. There wasn’t enough time between flights for me to risk booking on separate tickets. I ended up going with a different airline which cost a little more.
Old May 10th, 2017, 05:30 AM

If you have tickets, for each flight why wouldn’t you be allowed to fly? (Except of course if you get bumped)
Old May 11th, 2017, 03:55 PM

I haven't had to try it, but ita supplies a breakdown of the flights on a complicated route with the suggestion that the reader can use the info to book. But when it is really complicated, the reasonable approach is to telephone a live agent with the data.