Accommodation Goze and Ostia Antic

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2017, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be returning to Rome and Malta this Fall and are wanting to take a couple of sidesteps we omitted in previous trips.

While we have been to Malta twice before we have never explored Gozo. We are thinking of spending 3 nights on Gozo before a stay in Valetta. I am considering staying at either the Grand Hotel of the San Andrea Hotel. I would appreciate any comments on these or other accommodations.

After Malta we have decided to explore Ostia Antica before returning home. We are considering 2 or 3 nights here too. I have looked at the Ostia Antica Park hotel as it seems to be the only non-BB type of place. The reports on the hotel are quite good but have read that the village itself is not so attractive. Any suggestions on nearby accommodations? We basically want to stay not too far from the airport and within a reasonably priced taxi ride to and from OA.

Thanks.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 06:53 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Sleeping near Ostia Antica seems to me entirely unnecessary given it's so close to Rome and so easy to get to. It's also a fairly small site and several hours there is more than enough time, delightful though it may be. On another day you might consider visiting the Appian Way (Via Appia), to walk for a bit and visit the Roman tombs beside the road, on the edge of the city to the south. Atmospheric and fascinating.

I think it would be more fun to stay in Rome, maybe near the train to Ostia Antica first, then move the last night to Fiumicino, if being close to the airport is important, better than being in the sticks 3 nights.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 07:05 AM

The Ostia Antica Park hotel is on the outskirts of Ostia Antica, not in the village. I myself, if I were staying for several nights, would prefer to stay in central Rome and take the Ostia Lido train to Ostia Antica. The archaeological site is an easy walk from the station. If you get a hotel near Ostiense station, you'll be near the central Rome terminus of the Lido line. However, staying near any metro station on the metro A line would be almost as convenient.

Another possibility would be to stay in Ostia Lido, near one of the stations, where there are lots of hotels. Since the beach season will be over, it should be easy to find a hotel. You could take the train for a few stops in the Ostiense direction to Ostia Antica. There is a city bus from Ostia Lido to the airport. I've never stayed in Ostia Lido, so I can't give much advice.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 07:16 AM

It's been years since I visited Malta, staying on Gozo--could you tell us where those two hotels are? I think you would be better off checking a review site for specific hotel reviews, but I would be glad to comment on location/itinerary. Gozo is small and beautiful.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 08:14 AM

With regard to getting to the airport in Rome, if you stay near Ostiense station, there is an airport train that also stops there.
Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 04:39 PM
J62

Be aware that the main tourist sight on Gozo, the Azure Window collapased in a storm recently & is now completely gone... unfortunately.

Personally, I think 3 days on Gozo may be too long, but if you do go here are some things I can recommend.

a. visit the salt ponds along the northern coast facing Sicily, from Reqqa point & west.
b. the Ġgantija temples https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ġgantija
c. lunch at the seaside town of Marsalforn
d. Citadel/Victoria
e. hike part of the coastline trail that circles the whole island. - there are maps available online.