SE Florida 55+ Retirement Communities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2017, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Researching SE Florida for retirement - looking for 55+ with community swimming pool, active clubhouse (don't golf or play tennis), lots of clubs, options, amenities, must be able to keep 2 dogs. Have narrowed down to Boynton Beach, FL - know anything in this area? Can you recommend community to check out? Thanks!
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 04:41 PM

Have you checked out this relocation forum?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/west-...raton-boynton/
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 07:43 PM

At you absolutely certain about an 55+ community? We went through that question about 10 years ago and decided against after a lot of discussion. I know it appeals to many but not to us in the end.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 02:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it might be helpful to know why you have narrowed this to Boynton only.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 03:23 AM

I own a condo in that area and will be happy to recommend a few places.

Would you mind providing a general price range and letting me know if you need new construction or are you ok with an older unit that might need some renovation?

There are several Boynton communities that might suit you.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 03:29 AM

Also, how large are the dogs?

Do you drive and plan to keep driving for foreseeable future?

Have you seen the long thread I began on the topic of Florida condos few years back?

I will give you some names once you clarify some details.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

I am 60 single female with some disabilities. I do drive. The dogs are 2 dachshunds, about 18 lbs each. Looking in BB, because I want active community with clubhouse, community pools, lots of clubs and activities to choose from. Need to wean out communities skewed to 80 yr old crowds. While I am disabled, I get around pretty good, love to travel, drive at night (which is big deal where my mom lives in Kings Point Tamarac). Would be interested in learning to play bridge, mah jong, joining a conservative synagogue, doing literacy volunteer work.

Considering properties in Palm Isles, Palm Isles West, the Valencias, Indian Spring, the Cascades, Tuscany Bay/Ponte Vecchio Hampton Lakes, Royal Lakes. Looking for 3 bed, 2 ba free standing home. Want to stay around $250-275 but would go to $300 if absolutely turn key. Will be bringing some furniture (bedroom and dining room), otherwise nice furniture would be a plus.

Never lived in HOA community before, worried about restrictions. Will I be able to put up dog run? How do people manage with dogs? Will I be required to walk them (only option?), I have walking long distance issues. What is possibility of getting stuck with special assessments? Will people be friendly? (coming from Midwest) Open to making new friends?

Dukey, settled on BB as Boca doesn't seem to have too many communities with amenities I am listing. Delray didn't have as many options as BB in my price range. Frankly, done with screaming kids.

Any suggestions, recommendations would be helpful. Thanks!
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 05:16 AM

Thanks for your detailed reply and believe me, I know, about the challenges.

In terms of the "rules" as to the dogs, and putting up runs, walking, etc., there really should BE a book of written rules for you to consult BEFORE making a decision. If that is not the case I would be VERY wary.

Special assessments: you should be able to get written information about the special assessments history. Again, if they are vague I'd be wary.

As to your "concerns" about some community being "skewed" I can understand that. How you are going to know this in advance I am not certain but hope it works for you.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Well, a suggestion given to me was to request a "day pass" to the clubhouse/swimming pool/cafe and talk to as many people as possible. Granted, this is not scientific research and could be day for only one age group, but any other thoughts on how to figure out age group? Thanks Dukey!
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 06:53 AM

I think talking to a lot of residents is probably a good idea and here's why: the more you talk to them the more likely you are to learn the "real" issues that may be involved. Granted, you're going to get somebody at some point who perhaps is never happy with anything but you can discern that eventually.

I would be particularly interested in any sort of "management responsiveness" in terms of maintenance. I am honetly reluctant to "get into" the whole "age" thing because if there us anything I have learned since moving to South Florida it is that there are people who are a lot older than I am I wish I could catch up to.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 07:13 AM

LBloom, there are lots of local retirement communities here and at all of them prospective members. An have dinner in the central dining room with people who live there.
It's a great way to see who is there and ask questions.
Dogs are anissue at the ones here. Friends have not been able to install a fence of dog run or invisible fence although they were told before they moved in they could. Get it in writing, including the promise to be grandfathered in if the rules change.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Jubi, if I may ask where do you live? Thanks for dog/HOA advice!
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 10:00 AM

Get it in writing,

AMEN AMEN AMEN

Unfortunately at those "dinners" the only others you will meet are the ones who show up.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 02:58 PM

LBloom: Of those you mentioned, the ones that might fit you best are Palm Isles/Palm Isles West, and the related communities built by Oriole which include Coral Lakes and Huntington Lakes. Both of those are a bit further south, toward Delray.

My relative lives in Palm Isles. You can get a nice private house there for very much under $300,000. A 2 bedroom apartment with den and two bathrooms and screened terrace goes now for about $200,000, more or less. Those are two stories high measuring about 1800 sq ft. . The houses are single floored.
Stoves are electric only, or induction.

They allow dogs and my relative, in fact, has one small dog, as do many residents. There are dog runs nearby (outside the community) but you have to drive to them; you cannot let the dog loose on the property unless you have a fenced yard in a private home.

Palm Isles is in very good financial shape. There have been no assessments in the 8 or so years my relative has lived there.

They have indoor and outdoor pools--two centrally located main pools and a few smaller pools. They have a 600-seat theatre with live shows and taped lectures and programs from 92nd Street Y. There are tons of clubs and dozens of free exercise classes. Many people play bridge and other card games. There are many organized excursions, but no transport to stores; you would have to hire a driver for that. There are many of those, and UBER as well.

There are people in their 80s who moved in when the place was built in the 1990s. Many of these people have moved on and there is now a mix of residents ranging from 55 to 80s.

There is a cafe on site. there is a mandatory buy in of a cafe card, for $180 annually. One can use this at the on-site cafe or at a nearby Kosher-style restaurant.

There are two shopping centers within walking distance but few people walk to them.

Maintenance at Palm Isles is in the range of $500 per month and taxes are low, about $2,000 per year, give or take..I would have to ask about that.

People tend to be quite friendly. The communities of Oriole, with Palm Isles being one of several, were marketed toward teachers when they were built and there are many retired teachers living there. Some people still work but most are retired. Some are snowbirds but most live there all year long.

The Valencia communities are more pricey and have a different feel. I do not think the value there is tremendous but they are very popular and more are spring up every year. Tuscany is one you might take a look at; this is further south towards Delray. Ponte Vecchio and Aberdeen also might suit. Cascades as well. None of these can boast the range of activities that the Oriole communities have.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 03:02 PM

There are no dinners for prospective residents at the places I mentioned. I think those dinners are more common as actual assisted living places, at least in the part of Florida of which I am familiar. At Palm Isles, for example the cafe is not open for dinner. The best way to take a look is to visit with a real estate agent, or see if you can find someone willing to share the in-house listings for apartments and houses for sale.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 06:15 AM

"Maintenance at Palm Isles is in the range of $500 per month and taxes are low, about $2,000 per year, give or take..I would have to ask about that."

As a general rule your annual property tax will run approximately 2
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 06:16 AM

PERCENT of the purchase price. Homestead exemption will lower assessed-for-taxes value.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 06:36 AM

This reminded me of that movie Boynton Beach Club with Dyan Cannon and Sally Kellerman, which was pretty good. I decided to see it again from Netflix. If you haven't seen it, you might enjoy it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0439478/
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 07:04 AM

Christina, thanks!! I would love to see that now that I have a place in the area.

Another benefit of that (Boynton) area of SE Florida is that there are two airports within an easy drive: Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale. The third international airport, Miami, is about an hour's drive. So all that helps when you travel, or when your family/friends visit.

The big downside, as I think I mentioned, is the necessity of driving to shop, visit doctors, etc. For those who do not like to drive, or who do not like to drive at night, it would be very important to find a place with lots of in-community activities.

I just came back from a few days visiting a friend who rents each winter in South Beach, Miami, and was thrilled to find that we could walk to so many shops, restaurants, and the beach. If we did not walk, UBER was about $5 within the area. But buying there is far more pricey and not what LBloom is looking at. And there were no activities within the apartment complex, save for a gym and pool. I certainly liked it a lot, though!!
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 03:16 PM

For those who do not like to drive,

they often take taxis

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -