Another Afternoon Tea question!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 01:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My extended family will be in London early June and an afternoon tea at a good hotel is on the agenda.
A friend sent me this link offering a champagne AT at the Athenaeum with a 25% discount. The price looks good, but how is the whole experience at the Athenaeum, would you recommend it? Look forward to your comments, thanks

https://www.travelzoo.com/uk/local-d...da&dlocId=1719
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 02:12 AM

I haven't done that one but this is a good site to see further options.

http://www.afternoontea.co.uk/
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 02:38 AM

I went a few years back and enjoyed it. The hotel is modern and non-descript on the outside (the picture on your link is misleading as it implies an older building) but they'd done quite a good job of creating some ambience inside with wing back chairs, potted palms etc.

The tea itself was fine - finger sandwiches, scones, cakes, a glass of champagne - not one of the cutting edge themed ones you often see these days - but it was one of the more affordeable.

Have you looked at the actual hotel website because that will probably give you the menu and poss some photos of the interior.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 04:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jamikins, thanks for that link as we may be in the mood to finally do this. I love the way they hype things with phrases like, "In the heart of <B>exclusive</B>Mayfair" which I gather makes the tea taste better and the offerings more tastefully created somehow.

I don't know, "department store" or not there's just something about Fortnum's somehow but whatever.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 05:07 AM

I thought the same, RM67 - picture makes it seem like a charming hotel, which it is not (not on the outside, anyway). Tea is probably perfectly nice, and price seems ok. But there are so many places that do good tea/cakes/sandwiches. I don't know what kind of 'experience' you are looking for.

My favorite place to take people who want an afternoon tea is the Wallace Collection. 26 pounds if you want a glass of champagne with that.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. Jamikins, I have been looking at the afternoon tea site but it lists dozens of places, which makes it rather hard to decide. Yes, the Athenaeum is one of the more affordable places but this will most likely be a one-time experience, so we're fine with splurging.

How about the Woleseley, it seems to get good reviews. And of course the usual suspects Ritz, Savoy, Dorchester, etc. So many choices it makes my head spin!

A couple more questions, how far ahead does one need to book? We'll be there on June 3, a Saturday, is it likely to be more crowded over the weekend? And is your card charged up front or do you just give the CC details to make the booking?

Thanks again!
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 06:46 AM

The Wolseley is great - lovely restaurant.

For most restaurants you cannot book yet; they have a 1, 2 or 3 month limit for booking in advance.
Use www.opentable.co.uk for bookings.

If they require a cc nr it is to guarantee the booking; in case you do not show up without cancelling they will charge. I've never had a restaurant charge me before. If they do that, I wouldn't book.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 07:07 AM

I'm invited to a Beauty and the Beast themed afternoon tea at the Kensington Hotel later this month. Not my choice of venue but the menu does sound good. £35 + 12.5% service, deposit required for booking £10 and there is a cancellation charge.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 10:33 AM

I've always heard about afternoon tea at Hotel Goring near Buckingham Palace... definitely in the splurge category:

http://www.thegoring.com/food-drink/afternoon-tea/

I love The Wolseley -- been there for breakfast several times and never disappointed.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 12:31 PM

Wolseley is a great choice.

For a splurge, my favourite is the Mad Hatter Tea at the Sanderson. Best sandwiches, original treats, fun, and the desserts aren't too sweet. Pricey but great experience.

Definitely reserve for a Saturday as soon as you know. The more popular places book up on the weekend.

The credit card info is just used if you don't show up unless otherwise stated.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 01:34 PM

Ducky, we also love afternoon tea at Fortum and Mason. No, it's not a hotel, but the ambiance is nice and the spread for tea is wonderful.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 01:52 PM

jamikins, I'm so glad to hear you say that - I just booked the Mad Hatter tea for my trip at the end of the month! I'm excited.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 01:59 PM

Jent103 I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 03:48 PM

I had afternoon tea at both Fortnum and Mason and the Capital Hotel in December. Both were beautiful, however, I preferred the Capital Hotel. I had heard so much about F&M, but it seemed as though everyone had that same idea as it was very busy and felt rushed. The Capital Hotel was much less expensive. It was a more relaxed and intimate setting with attentive service. The top tier treats were very festive. I know that you are not visiting in December, but I've attached the link for the Christmas tea just so you have an idea of their creativity - http://www.capitalhotel.co.uk/christmas
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 03:58 PM

We've been to a few over the years and we lloved the Orangery set in a 1704 garden pavilion in Kensington Palce Gardens .
orangerykensingtonpalace.co.uk
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 04:10 PM

How large a group will be joining you at tea? Some hotels and tea rooms cannot accommodate very large groups. We were 6 at Brown's Hotel some years ago and I don't think they could have handled a group of more than 8.

Enjoyed the Wolseley. It's a beautiful building and the food was good but it was noisy (might be good if your group is exuberant). People did not dress up there as much as some tea rooms.

Mad Hatter Tea sounds wonderful!
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 04:33 PM

I didn't have a good experience at the Orangery. There were a couple of "yummy mummies" eating and talking to each other while their children ran around the place being rowdy. It is a big room and sound carries.
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for taking the time to give me your expert advice and tips. We'll be six of us, so will most definitely reserve, end April/early May I guess. This is to celebrate my niece's college graduation, so I want it to be an elegant afternoon. The Mad Hatter sounds perfectly wonderful, will ask my niece to borrow Alice from her local library as I'm not too sure a girl born and brought up in the US knows about the Mad Hatter!

Thanks again
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 08:34 AM

We've done Brown's, Claridge's and the Chesterfield Mayfair. All very enjoyable.
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 09:26 PM

My niece is about the same age and knows about Alice and the Mad Hatter. She had a Mad Tea Party for a birthday in her late teens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -