Orange Pre-Paid SIM cards | questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2017, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an Orange pre-paid SIM card from my previous trip to France. A couple of questions:

I am planning a trip to Spain in May and have some questions.

(1) How do you refill the card? You can apparently do it online, but my account apparently does not have an email address associated with it — and can't really do it from the US using SMS messages from the card, as it would incur charges.

(2) If I can refill the card, would I be able to use the French number in Spain?

(3) Does Orange.fr have a customer service email?
Old Feb 4th, 2017, 08:45 AM

How old is the card? Usually if they are unused for some time, often 6months, they are cancelled and can't be refilled.
You could still be paying roaming charges on the card depending on Orange's scheme. Roaming charges don't officially end until June.
Old Feb 4th, 2017, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

The card was purchased in September, 2016
Old Feb 4th, 2017, 10:42 AM

It's no longer active unless you have kept it recharged. If not, then you'll have to purchase a new one.

We actually haven't used a sim card since T-Mobile started offering its travel program.
Old Feb 4th, 2017, 12:25 PM

It's de-activated and can't be recharged. You'll need a new one.
Old Feb 4th, 2017, 12:26 PM

I did not have good luck with Orange on a SIM card purchased in Paris. I was assured that it would work in France and Spain, but upon crossing the border I received a text in Spanish, which I could not read, that informed me that I was then out of network. I inquired at an Orange shop in Segovia, and was informed that Orange France is not the same company as Orange Spain. At least their Spain shop gave me the straight facts, as I paid waaaay too much for the SIM card in Paris.
Unfortunately, I have Verizon in the US, and their travel rates for phone/data are making me re-think the value of having Verizon at home.
Old Feb 4th, 2017, 12:58 PM

I use Orange, purchased in France, all over Europe. Every time I visit another European country (including Spain last September), I immediately get a message from Orange (in French of course) saying welcome to ________ and letting me know of any extra charges, which are always negligible. This is been true for the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Hungary, Slovakia, and Italy.

After June 30, 2017, there will be no roaming charges applied anywhere in the EU, but if the OP is traveling in May that of course won't be true.