Camp Selection: Kenya Mara Conservancies in late June/early July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2016, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to decide on a camp for our safari in Kenya's Mara Conservancies and would like everyone's feedback on the following questions:

For Camp 1, which camp offers a better "Photo Safari" experience? (i.e. higher probability of big game sightings in last week of June; camp/guides understand special photography needs such as lighting, and photography accessories)

For Camp 1, how many nights are recommended for first time visitors to the Mara? (given our goals and noting we do not have endless financial resources)

For Camp 1, what are some "must activities" at each of the camp options? (aside from game drives)

Below is additional information that may help you respond to our questions:

Time of year:
Last week of June into 1st week of July
Camp 1: 3-4 nights total
Camp 2: 3-4 nights total

Camp 1
Safari Goal: Photography Safari (Big Cats + Big 5 Game + Classic Landscapes)
Camp choices (all in Mara private conservancies):
- Naboisho Camp
- Kicheche Bush Camp

Camp 2
Safari Goal: Rest & Relaxation
Camp choices (all in Laikipia Plateau region in private conservancies):
- Lewa Wilderness Lodge
- Lewa Safari Camp
- Borana Lodge
- Kicheche Laikipia Camp

Activity preferences:
Private game drives (private vehicle; day and night drives; on-road and off-road)
Walking safari
Horseback or Camel safari
Visiting animal orphanage (in Lewa)
Lounging poolside

Thank you!
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 05:52 AM

Hi There,

I have been to every camp you mentioned with the exception of Kicheche Laikipia. You have some good idea so far.

Here are a few pointers to keep things moving toward a decision:
1. I suggest you start with a lodge in the north and then end on the Mara. The logistics and the flights will work better. Also, time is important when you are going as the wildebeest will be pouring into the Mara in late June and July so the later is better. You might catch some early crossings. I had clients at Spekes Camp in late June and they saw crossings.

2. It is very unlikely you will see rhino in the Mara ecosystem so you definitely need to go to Laikipia, Borana, Meru or Lewa Downs to see them. I see that is already part of the plan. Please note that Borana and Lewa Downs have merged so there is a nice, even larger genetically viable rhino population there.

3. All the Mara properties you have listed are on the private Mara conservancies vs. in the actual national reserve. I think this is a good thing especially for photography and exclusivity. In general, the experience on the Mara private conservancies is limited to game drives in a land rover/land cruiser, walking safaris (at some camps) and limited cultural experiences.

4. Great Plains has purchased the horses from Singita Grumeti so there will be horses at one of the Great Plains camps next year and I think Dereck, the owner, told me it would be at the new Toto camp.

5. For a first time safari, I recommend 7-10 nights spent at safari lodges which result in about 14-20 morning and afternoon animal activities. For the typical first time traveler this is enough animal viewing but some prefer less and some prefer more. When I take my own family on safari I plan for ten nights at lodges then add more time like Cape Town, Vic Falls, beach, city, visiting relatives, etc.

6. Lounging poolside: I think you should consider a third stop maybe at Ol Donyo Lodge or perhaps Segera Retreat. But, Lewa Wilderness, Lewa House, Borona, and many other places have pools as well. You can easily lounge in the middle of the day so you can probably accomplish the lounging agenda if you choose a lodge with a pool and simply utilize the pool during the mid-day between the morning and afternoon wildlife activities.

7. Camel: you might want to consider Sabuk, another safari lodge in the Laikipia area.

8. Horses: other than the ones Great Plains are buying, there are stables at Borona and Lewa Wilderness and their guests have first priority to use the horses.

I am really a fan of Naboisho and I probably use it more than any other Mara property but you really can’t go wrong with anything in that area. As long as you have a private vehicle booked you will be able to get very food photos. Have you considered Mara Plains? It is about 1 hour closer to the Mara and Talek River vs. Naboisho in case the migrations start doing crossings and you head into the reserve to catch it on camera. You could combine Mara Plains with their sister property Ol Donyo and use their fly free special to mitigate their somewhat higher cost vs. Naboisho. Ol Donyo has stunning views of Kilimanjaro, stables, private pools for most rooms and top end service. It is a bit light on the animals.

I think something like this might meet all your wickets:
Ol Donyo x 3 + Lewa Wilderness x 3 + Mara Plains x 3
-or-
Borona x 3 + Sabuk x 3 + Naboisho x 3
-or-
I am really a big fan of the Serian product as well. You could do Elsa’s Kopje x 3 + Loisaba x 3 + Serian x 3. You would miss a 5% discount by going to Serian vs Elephant Pepper but I don’t sense cost is the most important factor for you.

Good luck and shout if you have more questions.

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond
Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 08:51 AM

Hi. We are doing a June/July safari with out teens. First off, Kicheche mid level pricing is in effect until July 15. We are doing a fly in for 13 days, 12 on safari. Since we are going with teens we did not want every day to be a drive safari so our plan may not work for youl

Sosian in Laikipia will give you horseback and camel riding safaris as well as walking and fly camping included in the pricing. They also have a pool and a river with tubing. A lot of activities, including lion tracking and wild dogs and night drives. 4 nights here

We are also doing Kicheche Laipkipia for 3 nights. Wanted to fit in the rhino sanctuary, a canoe safari and our first tented experience in a very intimate setting.biking and walking safaris here too.

then we move to Kicheche Mara, which is the only place without night time safaris. walking and local village visit here.

since there are 4 of us, Kicheche guaranteed us our own jeep, which is great given their schedule flexibility. food quality was also important to us, and we have been assured our choices will make us happy there! guide quality is silver and up at kicheche also. lastly, kicheche camps are owned by a master photographer.

more food for thought!
Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 01:49 PM

Sosian ranch is indeed a good value property! They have a sister property called Offbeat Mara which would pair well with it.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond