Black Cab Tour in Belfast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2016, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're taking a day trip (wish it was for a longer period of time, but this is what fits
our schedule) from Dublin to Belfast that includes the Titanic museum. We have
approx. 2 hr 'free time' when in Belfast and was thinking of taking the Black Cab
tour, which I've heard is very good. Comments one way or the other - to take the
tour, or spend the 2 hrs in Belfast, visiting city center and enjoying some lunch before
heading to the Titanic museum.

Thanks to those who have done one or the other, or better yet, both!
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 06:49 PM

I have taken the Black Cab Tour in Belfast. Unbeknown to me it was a "political" tour. Meaning, the driver explained the trouble that had happened in the past, the murals depicting the terror, and the wall that still stands between the catholic and protestant sides of the City. It was very interesting, learned a great deal but not quite what I expected.
Old Sep 30th, 2016, 12:37 PM

I had the same experience as 'Scotia'. I thought the tour was worthwhile. We had originally wanted to hit a few pubs but our tour times from Dublin to Belfast were changed around so that we hit Belfast at 10 on a Sunday morning. Needless to say, very few pubs and shops were open so we took the Black Cab tour instead. I can't remember the cost but I think our driver charged us 15 euro each(4 of us) for a 1 1/2 hour tour.
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 07:27 PM

We took Paddy Campbell's Belfast Famous Black Cab Tours and found it very informative. It provides context for this dynamic city and helps to put it into perspective. I thought this tour did a great job of combining both culture and history, while being fun. The division between the Republic and the U.K. is still a hot topic today and an important part of understanding Ireland's place in the world. Original tour cost was £30, I believe, but we asked our driver to take us to Millstown Cemetery, the Sinn Fein HQ, and the Rock Bar. He also then dropped us off at the Titanic Museum afterwards for a total cost of £50.

Well worth it and I would highly recommend!
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 10:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
We have done on our with Black Cab NI and it was very good. Just did a Wild Rover tour from Dublin and we had our choice of Titanic or Black Cab so did it again. First tour was with a Catholic cabbie, second with a Protestant. Very different. I asked him some questions and he was honest. It is still a simmering mess. Very interesting though. He took us places a Catholic wouldn't and the Catholic cabbie took us to other places. Wild Rover took us to the causeway and bridge. My friend's really wanted to go so we did the trip. They all want to go back now and explore.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 11:03 AM

It's nothing more than slum tourism.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 01:06 PM

BS, it is history and very interesting. What is slum tourism?
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 02:38 PM

I believe "slum tourism" is when tourists patronize certain places or locales that exploit the hardships of a people or region. (ie., tours of the favelas (slums) in Rio de Janeiro.) Not certain that I would put this in the same category.
Old Oct 13th, 2016, 05:44 AM

If you decide not to do the black cab tour then tour the city hall and stop in at the crown pub. I don't in any way think of this as slum tourism. It is history and if you go to Dublin you will see many things for the anniversary of 1916. Irish History just like German history and why people pay their respects at Holocaust memorials.
Old Oct 13th, 2016, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses! We decided to take the Black Taxi tour, and found it very informative. We knew
it was a political tour in advance. The guides we had
explained things in detail, including the murals.
Was surprised how many murals there are! It saddened me,
however, to know these conditions still exist, and the
gates to these communities close each night. Found that
somewhat unsettling.

I would highly recommend this tour to anyone thinking of
taking it. And the taxis are not necessarily black any
more - ours was purple!

If ever back in that area, our time will be devoted to
seeing Belfast as it looked like a beautiful city. We
also visited the Titanic Museum, which is a must see!

We used Paddy Wagon tours out of Dublin, and the cost was
49 Euro/ea including Titanic Museum admission (had 2+ hrs there). The Black Cab tour was a separate charge, which
was just under 9 pounds sterling, which we thought very
reasonable.
Old Oct 14th, 2016, 04:00 AM

So glad you took the tour. It was interesting and our protestant guide said there are still weapons and anger and hatred. He said they are trying to redirect the youth. I have a friend that did her internship in Belfast for lawyer Pat Finucane. He was slained in his home. She loves NI and encouraged me to go. He was a great civil rights lawyer and died a horrible death.
We had a red cab this time and I would so love one of those! Great dog transporter.