Trip 6 to Rome and Amalfi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2016, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and my husband (in late 30s and a good shape) are planning a trip to Italy in mid October. The flight is to and from Rome and we would like to go to Pompeii, Vesuvio, Sorento, Capri, Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. I would like to dedicate 3 days to the area, but from everything i read i'm still not sure if i should go to Sorento and do all the trip there by a rental car or by public transportation, We are arriving to Rome at 1:30 pm and would like to continue straight to Sorento (although i'm thinking about adding Pompeii and Vesuvio). Can somebody please help me with all the pros and cons? Or may be a better itinerary? Any suggestions will be welcome.
Thanks in advance
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

I meant 6 days...
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 04:40 AM

Last September, we took a shuttle bus from Naples to Sorrento.
We stayed at the Hotel Miramare which proved a terrific base for a day excusion to Amalfi, Poisitano & Ravello.

Lots of great restaurants & we walked into town from our hotel.
We did a day excursion to Capri.
Took the local train to Pompei.
Stayed 6 nights.
Stayed longer than planned, loved the area & hotel.
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 05:42 AM

Maybe split your stay between Sorrento and one of the Amalfi Coast towns? Use Sorrento as your base for Capri and Pompeii (and Sorrento itself), then say Positano to visit Amalfi, Ravello, and explore Positano as well.

I spent 5 nights in Positano in May and loved the area: 1 daytrip taking on all the towns wouldn't be enough time in my opinion.

Are these full days? How many nights do you have? Is it possible to increase your time even by a day or two?

I would envision something working like:

Day 1: arrive Rome 1:30 PM, transfer to Sorrento
Day 2: Sorrento exploration
Day 3: day trip to Pompeii (and Vesuvio?)
Day 4: day trip to Capri
Day 5: to Positano, explore town
Day 6: explore Ravello and Amalfi
Day 7: return to Rome, fly home

If you could add time, maybe add an extra day on the Amalfi Coast to relax and enjoy?
Old Aug 31st, 2016, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I have 6 nights. The thing is that i wanted to be at Rome for 3 days before or after the visit to Sorento and Amalfi road. My question is if i should rent a car and go from the airport directly to Sorento (may be through Pompeii) and travel there by car or use public transportation all the way (or a part of it).
Old Aug 31st, 2016, 04:10 AM

The drive from Rome to Sorrento isn't bad, mostly highway. You don't say where you're flying from, but my only concern would be about making the drive when you're jet-lagged. As for stopping at Pompeii on the way: That sounds like a very draining first day when you combine the drive with the walking at Pompeii. But maybe I'm underestimating your stamina.

You can take the train to Sorrento. It involves taking one train from the airport, then changing trains in Rome, then changing trains in Naples to go to Sorrento. It's easier than it sounds, and you'll get a chance to relax on the train ride.
Old Aug 31st, 2016, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

I am flying from Israel so its a pretty short flight
I am wondering how complicated and inconvenient it will be to travel by car in the Sorento and Amalfi area, due to the road condition and parking prices as appose to public transportation in that area?
Old Aug 31st, 2016, 04:52 AM

The road to Sorrento isn't bad. South of that, to the Amalfi Coast area, is no fun: narrow, winding roads that will intimidate someone who's not accustomed to driving that terrain. And parking is brutal and expensive.

I don't recommend it.