Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lyon: where to have an authentic bouchon experience?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2016, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be there for the first time in mid-September, and would like to have at least one lunch (maybe Sunday, maybe mid-week) in one of these traditional restos. Any recommendations or experiences welcome. Thanks.
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 07:53 AM

Hi SemiMike, I hope someone will weigh in with specific info but if you google the map of Lyon, find Cathédrale Saint-Jean-Baptiste in the old town. Look north (?) and see Rue du Boeuf. The guide I read suggested that area is good for that type of food.

Google again 'Office du Tourisme et des Congrès du Grand Lyon' you will see it on the island to the SE of the Cathedrale (Place Bellecour). Lots of great info and tours available if you need more info.

Then look to the right (SE?) and see Rue des Marroniers. It is good for restos (per my hotel clerk). Look for La Mère Jean. Reviews say very authentic and that you need to know French.

DH and I were not looking for bouchon food so I hope this info is accurate. We stayed on the Isle at Hoetl Residence--few cars so it was nice. We had to cut short our trip so my info is not as complete as it could have been.

Please report back about your experiences and have a great time.
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 07:56 AM

Vieux Lyon = Old Lyon in case you don't read French.
Old Aug 27th, 2016, 01:16 PM

I don't have any specific recommendations as I don't really care for or eat typical Lyon cuisine which is what a bouchon is (serves tradition Lyon cuisine). They are supposed to be small, cozy establishments but some are furnished rather plainly in a fairly modern manner, in fact. It's the cuisine that is how some call themselves bouchon. But there is an association that gives a label of authentic Lyon Bouchon, if you want to look for that, there are about a zillion of them.

I presume you know what that type of cuisine is (lots of organ meats, head and muzzle of animals, sausage, andouillette, tete de veau, etc). The typical dessert is good (apple tarte).

There are a lot on rue des Marronniers mentioned about, and also quite a few restaurants, including bouchons on rue de la Merceriere, also. The tourist office's list looks fairly good, you can pick one that is convenient
http://www.en.lyon-france.com/Restau...tional-Bouchon
Old Aug 27th, 2016, 01:29 PM

oh, here are the certified ones

http://www.lesbouchonslyonnais.org/e...-authenticity/