Swiss train rates/Zermatt/Wengen lifts

Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swiss train rates/Zermatt/Wengen lifts

Hi, I will run this by the Swiss railroad site for info, but thought I'd see what you'all thought too. We are going form Basel to Zurich next Summer by train for one night in Zurich/short train ride.. Then train from Zurich to Zermatt for two nights. then Zermatt to Wengen for two nights, then Wengen back to Zurich for two nights. Leave from Zurich back home. This is all set, don't tell me to not stop for one night in Zurich, OK?

We also will try to do some mountain lifts/cable cars, etc. in Zermatt/Wengen. I actually don't know what lifts in the mountain area we will take (suggestions?). So the question is....would the Swiss pass make sense or the half fare card or both? there will be two adults. We could pay for the Basel to Zurich with cash, so maybe a 3 day pass might make sense, but it is not consecutive days. I'd appreciate your input. Thanks. Sue (again).
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 09:55 AM

3-day SwissFlexipass may be best+ you can buy the Half Fare Card along with it for 50% off that - use the three 100% travel days for your most expensive trips that are fully covered- all the ones you indicate and then get 50% off everything that moves almost in Switzerland with the Half-Fare Card.

Pretty sure that would be the best best but price an 8-day consecutive pass too and that gives you 50% off on everything else not coverd 100% - no need to buy a separate Half-Fare Card - but if taking Jungfraujoch trains above Grindelwald or Wengen then the discount is just 25% to Jungfraujoch- big difference vs 50% for that on Half-Fare Card.

For lots on Swiss trains check www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com (if you want to talk to an expert by phone call Byron there- I have bought passes from him for years and he will answer any questions even if not buying).
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 10:40 AM

I've done the time-consuming, headache-ridden train price calculations for a Switzerland trip once for a 4 day period. We still came out ahead with the half-fare card over any other pass.

If you're there for 7-8 days, save yourself the headache and get the half-fare card. This is the map of validity: http://www.swisstravelsystem.com/en/...fare-card.html

We went to Berner Oberland (Murren) and used the card all over the cables and lifts. When purchasing tickets online, you have the option of selecting half-fare card reduction on the SBB website.

Good luck!
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 12:20 PM

For the OP I'm sure the maths will come out in favor of the Swiss Pass as they are taking lots of trains to different places.

anyone considering the straight up Half-Fare Card should also look at the Swiss Transfer Ticket + 1/2 off Half-Fare Card- could be a better deal than just the Half-Fare Card - not relevant to OP but for folks going to one place and back from any airport or border station- details check the site I mentioned in my above post.
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 12:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pal is correct: the passes become more economical the MORE you use them.
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 02:26 PM

As the Zermatt and Wengen areas have in common the awesome high Alps I might want to marshall 4 days into the Jungfraujoch area where there is IME a much more variety of things to do than in Zermatt which is basically a dead-end valley with yes the stunning Matterhorn which could be fogged or clouded in for days sometimes - in the Berner Oberland on such days there are other things one can do in poorer weather - which alas is not uncommon in either area anytime.
Old Aug 23rd, 2016, 10:58 AM

I've done the time-consuming, headache-ridden train price calculations for a Switzerland trip once for a 4 day period. We still came out ahead with the half-fare card over any other pass.

If you're there for 7-8 days, save yourself the headache and get the half-fare card.>

I don't think this analogy holds water as you have to know exactly what you are doing in those days- some folks may find a 4-consecutive-day pass to be a good deal depending on where they go and what conveyances they take - others may not.

but to make a blanket statement like that is just not good advice. Most folks moving around like the OP will find a Swiss Pass to be the best deal overall although again it depends on factors -like if staying in Murren in the Jungfrau Region a Swiss Pass covers trains and lifts to get there 100% and if using that as a base - going up and down daily it adds up.

And everyone considering the Half-Fare Card should also look at the Swiss Transfer Ticket which combines a half-fare card with two journeys from a border station or airport to any place in Switzerland and then back to any border station or airport and with it you can buy a 1/2 off Half-Fare Card- this is often better than a straight up Half-Fare Card.

so any blanket statement 'just buy the half-fare card' is IMO poor advice that could cost you money.