Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon trip to Europe - Would love your recommendations

Honeymoon trip to Europe - Would love your recommendations

Old Aug 12th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kawh: I hope those extra layers are good for us both

janisj: I really like your advice; maybe I'll stick to 3 cities in 15 days. This will give me enough time to travel and explore.

Paris is a must, so I'll be spending a few days there with some personal photographer

But really, you'd prefer Venice over Rome?

suze: well, Lac Leman looks nice. If the hotels are cheaper here, I'll definitely pick this area on others.
Old Aug 12th, 2016, 06:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>janisj: I really like your advice; maybe I'll stick to 3 cities in 15 days. This will give me enough time to travel and explore.>But really, you'd prefer Venice over Rome?
Old Aug 13th, 2016, 03:25 AM

In Venice stay at Lido! Even in september. Commuting to Venice proper is easy, and you'll have an additional beach holiday. The hotels great.

Having a daily vaporetto trip through the lagoon is no hardship, and arriving to Venice from the lagoon is a miracle, every time.
Old Aug 13th, 2016, 08:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Lac Leman IS gorgeous but "cheaper"? probably not.

I would stick to Venice proper myself. I love to walk around in the central area without having to take a boat to do so.
Old Aug 13th, 2016, 10:47 AM

I loved commuting, and I loved Lido. Never expected that, but I did
Old Aug 13th, 2016, 11:29 AM

With 15 days total,why not do the whole trip in Italy. We have been twice & not even scratched the surface
Dont miss Venice. We only had 1 day there & dream of going back.
Its your honeymoon-relax & savor Italy. September is a perfect time.
Best of wishes
Chris
Old Aug 13th, 2016, 11:39 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>With 15 days total,why not do the whole trip in Italy.
Old Aug 13th, 2016, 03:30 PM

agree with menachem - the Lido is a great place to stay and you can get like I have nice rooms for a fraction of the price in Venice proper- and as menachen says an easy commute - buy a boat pass.
Old Aug 29th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

janisj: nice, i'll take my chances with Venice then

menachem: will keep that in mind, thanks

suze: that's what i want too; those boat trips look really cool but I don't want to be staying in the water a lot!

BeniciaChris: i hope you get to see italy again soon! things are favoring september for me right now.

PalenQ: i'll check out these boat passes to see if they really are money-savers or not. thanks.
Old Aug 29th, 2016, 12:32 PM

You'd better get going with reservations. September is one of the most popular months in Europe. Prices are high and places fill up fast.
Old Aug 29th, 2016, 02:36 PM

I would take a day trip from Sienna to Florence. Sienna is a much better place to stay.
Old Aug 29th, 2016, 05:11 PM

I can't believe you think you are doing this trip in a month from now. You are VERY late to make any arrangements unless you have unlimited funds and can afford to stay in whatever hotels still have rooms available.

Strongly suggest you start making definite plans right away so you aren't shut out.
Old Aug 29th, 2016, 09:34 PM

Hi anonyzious,

Like suze, I love Montreux and the Lake Geneva region, and I visit often, usually for two weeks.

However, you should be aware that this is not the Switzerland of the towering peaks and the cozy mountain chalets. Lake Geneva is in the French section of Switzerland, and its towns more resemble the French Riviera than they do a mountain town in terms of architecture, ambiance, cuisine, etc. There are some mountains behind Montreux and across the lake in France . . . but there are no towering peaks that are nearby.

If you want to see the mountains, you could head to Gstaad (at the border of French/German speaking Switzerland) or Wengen/Mürren/Lauterbrunnen in the Jungfrau region. You could also head to the Engadin Valley (Pontresina, Scuol, St Moritz), but that's pretty far out of your way.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 10:44 AM

If you want to see the mountains, you could head to Gstaad (at the border of French/German speaking Switzerland) or Wengen/Mürren/Lauterbrunnen in the Jungfrau region>

Or closer to Geneva is Chamonix France an awesome Alpine resort on par with the others swandav mentions - and France is much cheaper than Switzerland across the board.

direct buses from Geneva take just a few hours.
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

StCirq: well, you've got me worried now, I hope i do get good deals on those hotels.

Jill: sienna looks nice, but i don't think i'll have the time sadly

nytraveler: on it sir! i'll maybe delay it a week or two if need be, to save some money

swandav2000: actually what i want to see mostly are towering peaks. it fascinates me. i'll check out these places. thanks!

PalenQ: is chamonix a national park? i am thinking of seeing one in any of these countries
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 02:58 PM

PalenQ: is chamonix a national park? i am thinking of seeing one in any of these countries>

maybe not officially but practically - no or little development in the Mt Blanc Massif around town -so yes.
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 05:14 PM

No sure what made you think I'm a sir - no way. And still think you've left it VERY late.
Old Sep 2nd, 2016, 01:28 PM

swandav2000: actually what i want to see mostly are towering peaks. it fascinates me. i'll check out these places. thanks!>

the Jungfrau Region is by far the best for a lot of towering peaks IME:

https://www.google.com/search?q=jung...w=1745&bih=868

And easy for the tourist to get around - so many mountain trains and aerial gondolas going off in every direction - hiking paths for all degrees of difficulty and foot wear. Head there and fulfill your dreams more than IMO anywhere in Europe.
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

PalenQ: junfrau region looks epic; I'll do more research on this one.

nytraveler: just a manner of saying, apologies if you found it distasteful. Regarding being late, well, as this is my first time, my visa is still being processed, and I don't know after how long exactly will I get it. Most probably, I'll put a space of around one month after my visa approval to start my vacation so as not to waste too much money just because of being late.