East United State - what do you reccomend ?

Old Jul 16th, 2016, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
East United State - what do you reccomend ?

Hi ,
Me,wife and our baby girl will travel from 31 of March to 16 of April 2017 around the eastern United States.our baby girl will be 1 year old in March 2017.
Firstlly we will visit NYC until arount 06 of April and then wa plan to rent a car and travel about 10 days outside of the city . our flight back home is from JFK and we prefare not to take internal flight .
It is not our first time in North East USA , our last visit was 2 years ago and we visit NYC for 4 days and then traveled to Hudson valley - seven lakes area , Connecticut and Boston,MA.

We both love nature , landscapes, day trips, lakes, rivers and also learn about USA history and visit unique places .
We are debating whether to go to Finger lakes area and stay couple of days(without Niagra Falls) or maybe drive to Pennsylvania area (see the Amish) , visit at philadelphia,baltimore and Washington DC.
The nature of the trip depends very much on the weather. during this time we know the northern part cold and more rainy.
can you advice us about the top place to be at our trip ?
appreciate your assistance .
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 04:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you like history I recommend visiting Philadelphia. It should be good weather that time of year. You could include the Amish country on that trip.
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 04:50 AM

I would head south versus north at that time of year. You are too early for spring to have taken hold north of NYC - trees won't have leaves yet, grass may still be brown and crunchy and there can be lots of mud.

I would head south to Philly and DC. The latter esp should be a little warmer and you may well get trees in bud - even the cherry trees, which will be gorgeous. There are lots of places for a toddler to run around, esp the mall and you daughter should enjoy the DC zoo - and you might check out options for petting zoos and other activities for little ones.

I would google kids activities in both cities and perhaps look for a chance to visit a farm.

Just be aware that it can still be chilly at night and you have warm enough clothes.
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 07:00 AM

Driving south Philadelphia and/or Washington sounds like the best idea. You can visit either city to see historical sights and also the countryside -- west to Pennsylvania Dutch Country or to Virginia.

Doesn't seem like there's a big need to plan out activities to entertain a 1-year-old.
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 07:22 AM

One thing to emphasize: if you do decide to visit Philadelphia & Washington (and I recommend that you do so), not only do you not need a car, but having one will be an expensive burden. If you know your dates a month or so in advance, you can buy Amtrak tickets for a fairly good price. Do NOT buy train tix at the last minute, however!

You will need a car rental to visit the Lancaster Area, however, but that will only be one day.
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 10:06 AM

While it's true that having a car is a "liability" within the cities of Philadelphia and Washington (because you don't need the car to get around and parking is expensive), with an 11-month old and all the baggage that comes with traveling with a baby, I'd just budget for that cost and definitely drive. I do think Philadelphia, Lancaster PA and Washington, DC is a great trip.
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

I get your recommendation and go south toward Philadelphia and Washington, and national parks in the region. Of course, take into account the trees probably will not fully but at least the water sources will be full after the winter .
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 05:24 PM

Unlike much of the western US the eastern is not a desert. And generally there is not so much snow in the winters that there are flood waters in the spring (or dry riverbeds the rest of the year).
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 07:31 AM

>

Not true. In DC, the trees will be full and the cherry blossom season will have come and gone (although you may get to see the latter blooms).
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 01:33 PM

The National Zoo in DC, don't miss the giant pandas. Admission is free. (Parking is $22 but the zoo is accessible via metro).
Old Jul 28th, 2016, 06:34 AM

Your trip may coincide with the Cherry Blossom Festival at DC. DC is very festive, but also very crowded, at the time. More information here:
https://washington.org/DC-guide-to/n...ossom-festival