Search

Pacific Coast Drive, San Francisco to Seattle

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pacific Coast Drive, San Francisco to Seattle

Hi all!

Next week, my husband and I will be driving from San Francisco to Seattle over 5 days, mostly along Hwy 101. We will be stopping to stay in Eureka, Crescent City, Bandon, and Florence. Then we are cutting over to Dayton via Hwy 18 to stay in a campground before heading on to Seattle. From Dayton, we will take 5 north through Portland to Seattle to catch a cruise to Alaska. We have a full day planned for the Redwoods in there as well. We are looking for suggestions for stops to make in the Redwood area, scenic drives, beaches/scenic lookouts, and restaurants. Also short hike recommendations would be great! We've never been to the Pacific Coast so we are total newbies! We're also looking for weather advice, we are from Florida so our summers are much different, hot and sweltering, not sure what to expect for the Oregon coast in June.

This is a our honeymoon and we are pretty active people- (30's -40s) so we are looking for outdoorsy activities, not necessarily shopping.

Thanks in advance!
-Kristin
Old May 30th, 2016, 12:04 PM

The Avenue of the Giants is 32 miles of redwoods with some development along its length. This is a turn-off for some purists. It is south of Crescent City on US-101.

http://avenueofthegiants.net/

May I suggest Trinidad instead of Eureka?

The weather should be glorious compared to Florida.

(Ex-panhandle resident)
Old May 30th, 2016, 12:13 PM

Are you staying at The Vintages in Dayton? That is really popular! Anyway, There are lots of good restaurants within 5-10 minutes of there, so your biggest issue is narrowing down the choices Dundee is where most are located, and it is less than 10 minutes from there. My personal favorite is Red Hills Market, which has fantastic wood fired sandwiches and pizzas. It is a locals favorite around here, and always busy. Great local beer and wine as well other local products like honey, chocolate, etc. Other great places in town include Tina's, Red Hills Provincial Dining, Babica Hen, and the bistro. In Dayton the Barlow Room is really good and is a sister restaurant of the Joel Palmer House, but I think the BR is better than JPH. If you like wine, head to Seufert Winery in downtown Dayton right next to the Block House Cafe and the Mercantile.

When you are heading out for I-5 north, definitely use the backroads and cut over either on Wilsonville Rd in Newborn or through the area south of Sherwood. That will save a ton of time!
Old May 30th, 2016, 01:28 PM

If you're on your honeymoon, skip Crescent City for Brookings and definitely Yachats for Florence. Romance in the air!
The Newport waterfront is fun and the Aquarium sits on the south bank of the bay.
The National and state parks are combined for the redwoods.Many nice hikes.
https://www.nps.gov/redw/planyourvis...ails-north.htm
Old May 30th, 2016, 05:20 PM

In Brookings we like to stay at the Best Western Beachfront and have dinner at funky Superbly Martini Bar and Grill, and in Florence we like to stay at the Best Western with water view and have dinner at Waterfront Depot.

The BW in Florence does an especially good job with breakfast.

HTtY
Old May 30th, 2016, 05:52 PM

The weather on the coast could be anything but even its warm during the day, it will be cool at night and it is frequently windy. So bring a fleece, raincoat, long sleeved t- shirts are good for the coast too but then you might bring short sleeved tees at well.
Sorry- that's just the way it is on the coast.

South of Creacent City, look for Requa Rd. At the top of the road is the Klamath River Overlook, where the Klamath enters into the ocean. Frequently you will see whales feeding in the area. There is a short trail down to a covered viewing stand.
If you watch the big rock off to the left, you might see whales.
There is also a hiking trail from the parking lot. I have hiked to Hidden Bearch which is about 3 miles.

The historic Requa Inn on that road which would be a great place to stay but at this point like.y already booked and sounds like your lodging is arranged.

In Oregon, just north of Florence is my favorite beach- Heceta Head, also known as Devils Elbow. It's a nice little cove with a scenic trail up to a lighthouse. Beautiful spot to stop, have a picnic, hike to the lighthouse. There is another trail starting behind the lighthouse that takes you to a secluded beach.

Enjoy!