Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Perfect Legal?

Search

Paris Perfect Legal?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2017, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can't even agree on whether any of the information you are providing is correct! That's not consolidation, that's cacophony.
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 10:55 AM

Also, please stop calling people scofflaws. First of all, it's a calumny that is not helping you to sound reasonable. Secondly, the fact that these threads come up as often as they do proves that people are trying to find out what is legal and trying to do the right thing.
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
NewBE; I'm with you. It's been the same half dozen people on Fodor's and other sites.

AirBnB are picking up the city tax and THAT'S all potential short term renters should be concerned with.

In addition, 1 1/2 years ago, it was talked about companies like AirBnB once they picked up the city tax, they would relay that info to the City.

Now, 1 1/2 half years later, that may happen.

The city seems to have something brewing for this October to protect the Cities residents.

Don't hold your breath, because MILLIONS of tourists rent these short term rentals and the city wants/needs whatever offshoot income they get.

As of right now, my wife are planning a Paris visit next year in late May or early June.

I was going to consider a hotel. Not now. A short term rental for a week. Just tired of seeing these same people putting a guilt trip on people.

Its been going on now for at least 3 years--same people.

I have spoken. lol
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 04:27 PM

If we get widespread reports of people who book apartments in Paris being stranded with no place to stay and no refunds of their money, then that will slow down and stop vacation rentals.

That's not happening AFAIK so these scare and shame tactics are just being ignored in the absence of any evidence of negative consequences for booking such accommodations.

So the voices will only grow more strident.
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 06:46 PM

The same is true on the US board--New Yorkers laying guilt trips and scare tactics on people wanting to rent apartments in NYC. And I agree, if cities like Paris and New York "crack down" on the tourists doing the renting--which we all know they never will do--then we'll hear about it.

The idea that six Fodorites will save Paris from the dastardly clutches of Air BnB is laughable. As is the fact that these six are more committed to enforcing French laws than the French are.
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 07:29 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
"If we get widespread reports of people who book apartments in Paris being stranded with no place to stay and no refunds..."

There will be refunds, from the credit card companies if not the agencies. However I have no doubt that Airbnb, for one, will make good, as I've seen them do with an alternative accommodation or the money back.
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 08:38 PM

It's just like I said...the same old, same old irate posters.
But that's OK - truth always wins.

And by the way, the only people making others feel guilty are you irate posters.
Old Jun 22nd, 2017, 01:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
<you irate posters> That's a 'truly' interesting comment.

It will be my pleasure to sit down with my adversaries in Paris next year sipping a glass of wine.
Old Jun 22nd, 2017, 11:14 AM

"If we get widespread reports of people who book apartments in Paris being stranded with no place to stay and no refunds..."

Not going to happen with Paris Perfect, they will help you. One of the reason I rent from them is their customer service.
Old Jun 22nd, 2017, 11:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Please, I would love to have the list of the nasty people.
Old Jun 22nd, 2017, 12:16 PM

I'm gong to weigh in to the debate... I've just stayed at an apartment in Paris, booked a year ago and had no issues with it being removed. Was it legal? I asked some questions to the agency at the time of booking and posted the responses here. The conclusion appeared to be it probably wasn't. I was only aware of the issue of legality through Fodors, the average tourist isn't going to have a clue so you can't expect them to know any better... I knew better but still went ahead and booked. I have used this agency many times before and will continue to use them should I go to Paris again. Would I book an apartment through Airbnb? No... But somehow I feel ok about using an agency. I looked at Citadines and they leave me cold. I like olde worlde charm..
Old Jun 22nd, 2017, 12:58 PM

We were hoping to spend our family Christmas holiday in Paris this year. We are three separate families, six adults and one child, who live nowhere near each other, and we rotate visiting each of the three families, but every four years we try to spend Christmas in some place where none of us lives. This year we chose Paris, but I'm having an awful time finding an apartment big enough to house all of us, and also remain legal. I checked out the aparthotel site mentioned by Kerouac, but the <b> only </b> apartment that came up was in Bry sur Marne, not in Paris.

The reason we need an apartment is that we want to spend lots of time together playing cards, opening presents, laughing, talking, and catching up on family news, which we can't do in three hotel rooms. Of course, there are also things we want to see and do in Paris, where all of us (except the child) have visited multiple times. We also like to cook Christmas dinner together, and need a space large enough to all eat together for that one meal. My husband wants his post-prandial Italian <i> pennichella </i> every day, so Bry sur Marne is out of the question.

Is there any possibility of doing this, or should we change cities?
Old Jun 22nd, 2017, 04:40 PM

Paris Vacation Apartments has two units in the same building: both two bedrooms. One has two baths, the other has one bath (with two w/c). Elevator. Be sure to click on the "More Photos" button.

I'm pretty sure the building is on Rue Jacques-Callot, 7th. Very nice location.

This is the 2/2
http://www.parisvacationapartments.c...y-two-bedroom/

This is the 2/1
http://www.parisvacationapartments.c...c-two-bedroom/
Old Jun 22nd, 2017, 07:42 PM

Paris vacation apartments.com (noted above in JeanneBs post) owns the building in the Palais Royal, with four or five apartments. Alex, the owner, said his family bought it after WW II. They're on the rue Montpensier and the gardens. We rented the top floor, three bedroom unit maybe 10 years ago.

PVA is a commercial enterprise; they do not live in the units, but rent them out.
Old Jun 23rd, 2017, 02:26 AM

Iwan2go: I plan to rent one of those Palais Royal apartments (the 2/2). It's on the top floor. Can you tell me, do you enter from the gardens or from Rue Monpensier? We will have a teen girl with us and I chose this apartment because I think we would be comfortable with her going out in the gardens by herself (when she just HAS to get away!).

Being on the top floor, is it dark? Noisy?

Thanks for any info you can provide!
Old Jun 23rd, 2017, 11:22 AM

Well, it sounds as though it's not legal, or is it?

The main problem, though, is that there isn't a table that will hold all of us, and we do want to have Christmas dinner together without eating in shifts.

Also, it's a bit out of the price range I was looking for, although not terribly so. (I foot the bill for all three families.) We don't need luxury, really, just a comfortable place where all of us can eat and congregate.

Four years ago, we stayed in London and had a wonderful time together. We tended to eat out for lunch and buy something at Sainsbury's for dinner.