Alhambra day tours from Port of Malaga

Old Apr 18th, 2016, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alhambra day tours from Port of Malaga

(NOTE: I also posted this on the cruises forum, was not sure if it would reach all the people with experience in this area)
We are taking a Cruise this fall and trying to line up shore excursions. Who knew that for the port of Malaga, almost all tours (other than the ship's overpriced tour) would be sold out for our port date more than 6 months before the date for Granada/Alhambra. We are arriving at 8am and will be in port until 9pm, We are on a wait list for Spain Day Tours, reasonably priced small group tour (10-18) for about 94 euros each for 8 hours to Granada and tour of primarily the Alhambra. Also found a private tour that for the 6 of us is 136 euros each with VIPMalaga. The only difference I can see between the two (other than group size) is that you travel with SDT on a bus and then break down into small groups and after Alhambra visit the Alcazar for lunch. With VIP you travel by minivan/small van and after Alhambra you go to the San Nicholas Viewpoint for view of Alcazar and lunch.
Both get good reviews on trip advisor except there are substantially more reviews for SDT and only a few for VIP. Everything else I found was either full or outrageously priced.
Just wondered a couple things.
1. Do waiting lists for tours ever work out? They said they will try to get more tickets , or the possibility of cancellations.
2. Has anyone here had experience with VIPmalaga?
3. Will we get more out of a private tour versus a shared for the Alhambra?

Any input would be appreciated, I have booked the VIP just in case and basically have June to make a final decision if the SDT should come through with openings for the 6 of us.
Thanks
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 12:15 PM

test
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 12:18 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath on the waitlist.

I took a day tour and used Malagaholidays, booking on their website. They charge 67 euro per person, but the group was fairly large and on a bus. However, it was mainly transportation, more or less, as we were left alone for several hours in Granada to do as we wished upon arrival. I had lunch and visited the cathedral, as I recall. And at the Alhambra, the tour site assigned their own guide, anyway. They were good.

So it suited my purpose as I like to do things on my own, so would not have wanted to be in a group for lunch, etc. The guide at the site was good enough, I'm not that picky.

Sounds like you are paying a lot just to have a van transportation rather than a bus.
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 12:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
see my post on your other thread . . .