Top 5 Hikes in and around Sedona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for some suggestions on some hikes in and around Sedona in the later part of April. Do you have any favorites?? We are a group of friends from college, celebrating our 40th birthdays this year (and taking a 4 day break from our kids!). We are all in good shape and feel comfortable with strenuous hiking, but just would like some advice on some beautiful and fun hikes around Sedona where we can enjoy our time away. Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 05:49 PM

I'll assume that you're familiar with desert hiking, and with moderate elevation changes. If not, just holler.

One of my favorite hikes is Bear Mountain. It offers great views of the surrounding countryside. The hike is only about five miles (round trip), with an elevation gain of 1,900 feet. However, there's some up-and-down hiking, as well as a little scrambling, so it's a little bit harder than the numbers might indicate. Call it a moderate hike.

West Fork Trail is commonly listed among the top hikes. It follows the bottom of a narrow canyon, alongside a small stream -- which you will cross several times. It's a very different hike from most in Sedona. At 6.4 miles and a 400 foot elevation gain, it's an easy hike -- quite a bit easier than Bear Mountain.

Cathedral Rock is a popular, short hike. Mostly it's an easy hike, but it's steep in places, and some scrambling is required. Round trip distance is about 1.5 miles, with an elevation gain of 600 feet. Views are excellent.

Doe Mountain is a short, easy hike. In this case, the top of the mountain is a mesa, with good views from many points. Round trip distance is 1.4 miles; if you circle the top of the mesa (and you should), add another 1.3 miles to the total. Elevation gain is only 450 feet,

The Fay Canyon Trail is short (2.2 miles round trip), flat (300 foot elevation gain) and easy. It's moderately scenic, but nothing great. Why do it? Well, at the end of the trail, there's a large rock slide. If you like, you can scramble to the top for views of Fay Canyon. If you want to go further still, there's a path of sorts that leads around the side of the mountain.

Have fun!
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, lgott. All of those hikes sound great! As I've been researching, I keep getting information about Cathedral Rock, which I think we'll do, but I wanted to hear about some other ones also. We also had some Oak Creek Canyon hikes recommended to us...which involve a some water, I guess, and would be fun too. Thanks again!! I'm going to forward this info to my friends and we'll start deciding!
Old Apr 8th, 2016, 02:28 PM

West Fork is definitely a good one, very different from most in the area.

I also enjoy the Bell Rock/Courthouse Butte hike, about 4.5 mile loop, just a little up and down.

Boynton Canyon is another favorite, out and back, 6 miles total.

I like Baldwin Trail from Red Rock Crossing. It meets up with the Templeton Trail, so you can make it longer.

There are something like 200 hiking trails in the area, so lots to choose from. This website may help.

http://hikearizona.com/traildex.php?ID=42&RID=9
Old Apr 8th, 2016, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Mike! Those sound like some great ones. And the website is great too. Part of the problem is there seems to be so many great hikes, and so your recommendations are super helpful. Thanks again