Search

Paris France

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2016, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris France

Good day fellow Fodorites,
my wife and I are visiting Paris for the first time in May. We are staying at the Lancaster Hotel for 5 nights. Looking for suggestions on what to do, where to eat, and if anyone has stayed at this hotel what was the experience like.

regards,
Chris
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 05:35 AM

Hi
Your hotel is very well located and being a 5 stars I am sure the staff will give you any useful info about where to eat and what to do - don't hesitate to ask at the desk.
In the meantime I d recommend reading a touristic guide about Paris.
Have fun.
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 06:22 AM

Near the Jussieu metro stop there is an excellent hobby store specializing in French-language Dungeons & Dragons materials. I usually buy a new figurine every time I am there.
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 09:43 AM

Have you read any guide books? What did you think of when you decided to go to Paris.

I know what I like to do when there - but don;t know you at all so it's very hard to make a reco.

If you can provide some info on your interests it would help a lot. As for restaurants - it really helps to have a specific price point and what you expect. Do you want fine dining, cheap and cheerful, casual neighborhood places, any specific cuisines?
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 10:25 AM

Haven't stayed there but I know that hotel has always had good reviews and is very popular, so it will be fine.
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 01:19 PM

Never stayed there,we always rent apartmenrs.
We will also be there in May,our 10th visit.
email me
[email protected]
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 01:46 PM

Don't forget the doll museum and Deyrolles.

What guidebooks have you read?
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 03:57 PM

Guide books and travel reports here are GREAT sources that would help YOU decide what you would like to do.
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 03:57 PM

Guide books and travel reports here are GREAT sources that would help YOU decide what you would like to do.
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 04:21 PM

TTT
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 04:45 PM

So much in Paris to do and see. Everyone has their list of favorites.

I would think the Promenade Plantee and Luxembourg Gardens would be lovely in May. For museums, I like the D'Orsay, Marmottan and L'Orangerie.

On a sunny day, Ste Chapelle for the stained glass. For a wonderful view of Paris (and to burn off all the calories), climb the towers at Notre Dame. A less crowded church that is the burial site of French royalty is St Denis.

Vaux Le Vicomte might also be a nice short excursion out of Paris.

I enjoy all the wonderful food shops around the Madeline church and always have to buy some fresh Maille mustard to bring home.

On our last trip, we took our first food tour in Paris with Paris by Mouth. Totally loved the experience and they have different tours in different parts of the city.

I love to spend some time on Isle St Louis. Lots of charming restaurants, Berthillon ice cream and small boutiques.
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 07:13 PM

I just wanted to add that Table du Lancaster is pretty great. Chef Julian has 2 well deserved Michilen stars. The bar is great too. If you're lucky they will have one of your Wednesday jazz nights while you are there.

I don't like to spend much time on the Champs Elysee, but do go to the top of the Arch de Triumph. I also think a trip to Giverny is a great idea.
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 10:41 PM

The OP, per another of his posts, is willing to shell out up to $1000 per night for a hotel, more than 95% of us can, which he picked the Lancaster (would not be my choice btw) and he wants us to give him ideas of what to do and where to eat. I guess reading a guidebook, perusing these pages is too beneath him. Why do research when you can just throw out a question and pick the answers that fit you, right?

WoW
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 10:45 PM

The OP, per another of his posts, is willing to shell out up to $1000 per night for a hotel, more than 95% of us can, which he picked the Lancaster (would not be my choice btw) and he wants us to give him ideas of what to do and where to eat. I guess reading a guidebook, perusing these pages is too much work? Why do research when you can just throw out a question and pick the answers that fit you, right?

WoW
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 11:24 PM

tss another communist here.
probably OP has no time to research, he must earn money.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 02:38 PM

coolcamden, to be fair, the Lancaster isn't 1000 euro a night. And it's a lovely little hotel, much more intimate than equivalent 4 and 5 star hotels like George V.

I have no problem with someone asking for advice like this. If you're not into answering, just don't bother posting on this thread.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 03:06 PM

6 weeks to Game of Thrones!
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 03:27 PM

Wow.. had to look that up.. the cheapest rooms do indeed start at 630 EUROS .. and go up .. up up.. lol Must be nice.. jealous.. but not my type of area.

I would suggest op explain more about what sort of thing they like to do, I can suggest bike tours, museums, and wandering.. but am useless at helping with boring stuff like shopping
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 03:47 PM

Hi, Chris-What a wonderful trip! Remember, if you had absolutely no plans and just walked around Paris, it would be a lovely trip. Paris is beautiful, and there is something to see, drink and do around every corner. Walk along the Seine, Notre Dame at night, the Musee D'Orsay, the Orangerie-all wonderful, and include strolls. The Louvre is great-but busy-and yet a must. Don't forget a neighborhood market or two-just go to a site on the internet for daily markets in Paris-they are so much fun to experience-buy or don't buy-you will be enchanted. One of my favorite restaurants is in the 15th, on the other side of the Champ de Mars-LeCasse Noix. A true little bistro-I have eaten there many times. Just call and make a reservation, and after dinner, walk by the Eiffel Tower and see the lights! Magical! I have also had the assistance of Lisa Burros Hutchins at yourparisexperience.com. She is an American with a great story of starting her business-check her web site and see if you believe a phone call to her would help. She has assisted me 3 times-extremely awesome when it comes to Paris-she knows EVERYONE! Remember-enjoy all you see and do not worry about what you don't see! Paris is a true joy! Your hotel is in a wonderful location, and they are sure to assist you with whatever you need!
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 04:12 PM

I second Belinda. If you have nothing positive to say, go on to another thread.

I have gotten so much good advice on this forum from more experienced travelers and residents of the places that I travel too. There have been times when I was already at my destination when an emergency developed, and always got practical solutions here.

So please, give the poster some solutions and point him in the right direction so that he can come back with questions. No need for snide, envious remarks. Just move on...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -