Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

biking Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2016, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are bikers planning a trip to Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown in early May for 4 days/3 nights.

We have never been to the area and are in the planning phase. We were wondering if you had any suggestions for "not to miss" ride routes, places to stop along the way for lunch, sights not to miss (we are planning 25-40 miles a day).

I see on May 7th they open the Colonial Parkway to bikes (is this a good option or too crowded ?) and they later Saturday there is Blues, Brews and BBQ festival in Yorktown that looks interesting.

Thank you very much for any advice you can offer!
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 07:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Where are you staying?
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 10:45 AM

Here is some cycling information from the NPS website for Historic Jamestowne which might be useful. I have driven the scenic loop drive that is mentioned in this article and it's one I would recommend you include on your bike trip. There are many informative signs along this loop where you can stop and read about the history, flora and fauna of the area. Also, be sure to include a visit the the Glasshouse at Historic Jamestowne as well as exploring the museum and remaining foundations.

Note: Neither cyclists nor pedestrians are allowed to enter the grounds of Historic Jamestowne before 8:30 am or after 4:30 pm.

See: http://www.nps.gov/jame/planyourvisi...nformation.htm
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 11:20 AM

I assume you mean "cyclists"; my cycling friends in VA get quite nasty when I call them "bikers", since there are plenty of them, too, but they don't wear Italian shorts!

In addition to the loop that Longhorn linked, VA has lots of scenic cycling routes that you can Google.

VA 5, which is the "River Route" along the James between the Triangle area and Richmond passes all the big James River plantations, some of which are more than worth a visit.

The problem with VA5 is that it is not a loop, however nice. If there are only two of you and one car, not so great.

I would google cycling organizations in the Richmond-Williamsburg-Norfolk area and see what you can find out about guided trips or van delivery to good rides. Cycling is very popular in this area.
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 02:03 PM

The Pedal the Parkway is a lot of fun but it only runs on a portion of the Parkway between Jamestown and Williamsburg and only runs from 8-12 in the morning. That stretch of the parkway is gorgeous. The ride is popular but the parkway is wide enough that crowds are not a problem. The rest stop is worth checking out because area restaurants offer free snacks and drinks. They even had chair massages last year. To add mileage, you can continue onto that loop on Jamestown Island that's been described for another 6-7 miles. Somewhere along your ride depending where you start, you can ride into Colonial Wliiliamsburg and down Duke Of Gloucester to play dodge the tourists.

The Colonial Parkway is 23 miles long and runs between Jamestown and Yorktown. There is gorgeous scenery along the entire length and with a speed limit of 45 and an extra lane running down the middle it can be a nice ride except for the fact that it's composed of scored concrete so it can be a tiring ride on a road bike. A lot of people do bike it but I wanted to warn you about the surface in case you were thinking of doing a long ride on it.

Yorktown Battlefield Park has some really nice quiet roads that meander through the battlefields and woods that will give you about a 10 mile or so ride. You can the hop on the parkway to add mileage. Our route takes us from the Park headquarters (the National park not the Victory Center) down 238 towards the Coast Guard station to the historical tour road and the back on Goosley to Cook. Make sure you go down into town for lunch. It's worth seeing.

Your best option for a long ride is our newly finished Capitol Trail. It runs between Richmond and Jamestown. It's a gorgeous dedicated biking and walking trail that runs along Rt. 5. It's 50 miles one way. I would suggest you park at the Jamestown Settlement (where we also park when we're doing Jamestown island) and ride out and back for whatever distance you'd like. We usually go out to Charles City Courthouse where we stop for lunch and return for about a 25 mile ride. I've also done the entire length but we had shuttles out to Richmond. The trail runs through woods and agricultural fields. It's pretty rural but I always feel safe on it. You won't see the plantations from the trail so if you want to see them, plan on stopping.

Bike Beat is a great shop in town that can give you other ride ideas.

Let me know if you have any other questions. If the weather is nice, I'll probably be on that parkway ride myself.
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all!!!!!!!!
Old May 11th, 2016, 12:38 PM

I hope you had a good trip and you missed the rain. The day of Pedal the Parkway was as gorgeous as it gets.
Old May 11th, 2016, 07:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Just adding on to everyone else's recommendation, Rte 5! Nice country road with bike paths. There are several plantations along the way.