Search

Weekly Stay in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2016, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weekly Stay in NYC

I'm looking for suggestions on weekly stays in Manhattan, specifically for the Columbus Day week in 2016. Prices are pretty high ($1800) - any ideas appreciated.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 06:32 AM

If you are asking for advice on Airbnb type places? They are basically illegal in NYC unless the owner/renter is also present in the apartment. And there are many scams to boot.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 07:51 AM

There are a lot of cheap hotels in Long Island City, Queens, which is between 1 and 3 subway stops from Manhattan depending on the line, and all the Queens-bound lines converge that one station.

I generally recommend the Country Inn & Suites Long Island City, which is close to the subway, offers free breakfast and Wi-Fi, and is a good, clean, and comfortable place to stay. You can often get it for $130 or less. But after October 1, high-season prices are prevalent in NYC. There are certainly other chain hotels in Queens, and they almost uniformly offer the best bargains in NYC.

If you are a single, there are small, cheap rooms with shared baths at several hotels that can be cheap indeed: The Pod Hotel, The Jane, The Larchmont.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 08:31 AM

Agree it would help to know how many you are and what bed configuration you need (if 2 can you share one queen bed).

$1800 for 7 nights is only about $220 per night (plus taxes) which is very modest for that time of year. How much do you want to spend?
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 01:25 PM

>

No, they're not.

Judge by the NYC standard.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 08:02 PM

Hotel rooms are expensive in Manhattan: $1,800 for a week in October would be on the low end for a clean room in a well-managed hotel. I think you will enjoy your trip more if you bite the bullet and book at a descent place rather than to try to save money by staying at a marginal property.

Location is important too. If you find a hotel that appeals to you, check back here for opinions about the convince of its location.

HTtY
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 03:18 AM

mdurmer: October is a lovely time to visit NYC and as others have said that is not a lot of $ for the time of year.

1) how many people in the room
2) the exact dates of your visit
3) Your budget

A suite type hotel where you have a little kitchenette is very handy for snacks, drinks and breakfast. IMO stay in the city because it is nice to be easily able to go back to the hotel for a short rest etc. during the daytime or activities.

You need to book somewhere very soon that you are able to cancel and keep on looking for something cheaper if need be.

With more information you will get more help and suggestions from this board.

Sandy
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 05:37 AM

"Weekly" means every week.
"Weeklong" means for one week.

Are you looking for a weeklong stay at the time mentioned or do you have regular business (or other reason for a stay) every week for a certain number of days?
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 04:14 PM

SambaChula, that was my first thought too from the post's title, but if you actually read the post ( usually a good idea before commenting) it was VERY clear which was the OP's plan Sorry it was too complicated for you.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 07:42 PM

"Weekly" means every week.
"Weeklong" means for one week.

So what? Who cares? We can read.
Nitpicking not necessary. Give it a rest.

HTtY
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 07:44 PM

Samba also raised problems were there were none on a posting of mine.
Old Feb 19th, 2016, 04:24 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Look at the Staybridge Suites but you'll need to up your budget.
Old Feb 19th, 2016, 05:38 AM

IMD, move on. The post you are whining about reviewed some restaurant you assumed anyone worldwide clicking into the United States forum here would recognize without any introduction beyond a mention halfway through of NYC somewhere. More than a bit of NYC-centric thinking. Someone who can't write a review with all the pertinent facts shouldn't complain when that is pointed out by a reader. Dragging your whining onto another thread entirely is unseemly.
Old Feb 19th, 2016, 06:07 AM

Please keep comments on point and stop sniping at each other. Personal attacks violate our TOS.
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 05:41 AM

I live on Long Island and while I often drive into Manhattan for day trips, I'm not sure I'd recommend staying on Long Island for a week visit to NYC. The LIRR and subway commute will become tedious and I'm not sure that you will find a hotel inexpensive enough worth the cost of the commute. Then there is the whole getting to the train from the hotel thing. I am staying in Manhattan tonight but realize that February is a rather cheap month for hotels. I got a deal at Yotel for $130, that includes taxes and fees. I'm not a huge Times Square fan but thought for the price I'd try it. If you look around different sites, you can find a deal, though in October, you'd be paying more. Still, scour the internet, see if any friends get hotel discounts through their job, etc. If you decide to visit Long Island, that's great, but there is so much to do in Manhattan and Brooklyn I think you are better off finding a place there. Good luck!
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 06:21 AM

writealiving, the only reference I see to Long Island is to Long Island City, queens--which is a short subway ride to/from Manhattan.
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 09:17 AM

Usually when I go to NY I stay with friends or family so it's in locations like Jackson Heights, Queens; Park Slope, Brooklyn; Jersey City; or above 181st St Manhattan.

Last month I wanted to spend 5 or 6 days and for various reasons couldn't stay in any of those places. Since it was January, hotel prices were really low so I treated myself to the Hotel Belleclaire on 77th and Broadway - considered by most to be a great location. And it was, I loved it. But it really wasn't all that different from staying in any of the places I usually stay. I certainly wouldn't spend a hundred or so more to stay on the UWS than in Queens (or any of the other places).

In January the Hotel Belleclaire (I highly recommend it) was only about $85 a night (plus tax) but the week the OP is looking at in October the price is more like $220. The Country Inns and Sweets suggested above is $130 that week. I've never stayed at the Country Inns but assuming its clean, the location is good enough that there's no way I'd spend $100 a night more to stay in the middle of Manhattan.
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 01:13 PM

Abram,

You're right. I saw Long Island mentioned on a different thread.