Search

Skaftafell without a guide

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skaftafell without a guide

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a stopover in Iceland in March 2016. We are only going to be there for 3 days. We will be based in Reykjavik.

I was wondering if it is reasonable, for a day trip, to head to Vatnajokull Park (Skaftafell area) and do a self guided hike. I have read that there is a visitor center there and have read about hikes such as to Svartifoss, Skaftafellsjokull, and the Skaftafellshedi loop. Obviously we would have to have a plan B if weather wasn't right.

Has anyone done this? Any tips? We are both in good shape, decent hikers. Would doing it this way make for nice scenery, or is it better off to go with a tour? Also, is there any public transportation from Reykjavik to Vatnajokull Park or do you have to drive.

Thanks in advance for answering!

Andrea
Old Feb 19th, 2016, 08:55 AM

I haven't been yet (planning for May) but my understanding from my own research was that it was doable as a day trip and that there are a whole variety of hikes to choose from - I'd bring rain gear regardless as I know even a sunny day can change quickly
Old Feb 19th, 2016, 09:37 AM

I would definitely drive. It's a long drive, but you do pass some incredible scenery. No chance of staying overnight anywhere, huh?

The park website has hiking info, but there's actually a map right outside the visitor's center that shows the direction for some of the hikes, including difficulty level. We did two while we were there: the "easy" hike to the pond in front of glacier (which is mostly but not completely flat, but requires walking on rocks and gravel) and the walk to Svartifoss, which is labeled as easy for all but the elderly. I actually found it more strenuous than advertised because there were a number of uphill stretches, but it's certainly not hard for anyone in decent shape. Oh, but it was so misty when we were there that the sight of Svartifoss was really disappointing.

For something that's more of a "once in a lifetime" the guided glacier walk was obviously more expensive but we found it quite fun and worthwhile.
Old Feb 19th, 2016, 02:26 PM

We took a tour - it was a 5 hour drive each way or so, including short stops at waterfalls along the way (both ways). I personally hate driving so I was happy to have someone else do it. I also wouldn't want to put in 10 hours behind the wheel, while jet lagged, and try to hike. Too much for me. I also liked having a guide on the bus for loads on information about Iceland, and on the hike (plus gear like crampons were provided). It is doable - but maybe not desireable. I am usually a DIY sort of traveler, but for this activity I was happy to handover the details to a tour company.

Gas is super expensive - so you'll want to factor that in, as well as the cost of the rental car.

We booked through Icelandic Mountain Guides. The glacier hike was absolutely the highlight of our time in Iceland, so I do recommend making the trip one way or another. The hike itself was 3-4 hours on the ice.