Visiting my daughter first week of March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2015, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. My daughter will be studying abroad in Copenhagen mid-January-mid-May. The only time we can visit is the first wee of March. We will have 6-7 days. We could go to Copenhagen but I was thinking she would have more fun going somewhere else, maybe somewhere a little warmer and with more daylight. Barcelona and the coast of Spain are possibilities. Any other suggestions? Some place easy for her to get to would be preferred.
Thanks.
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 08:38 AM

For a guarantee of moderate temps at that time of year I would head for southern Spain or Italy from Rome and south (but not the coast). Sicily weather should be good but 6 or 7 days isn;t time to see that much.

You might also get moderate, but not warm, weather on the French Riviera and there is a lot more to do there than the beach (it will be too cold for swimming).
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 09:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> . . . and with more daylight. <<

Just FYI - Warm is fine -- but by the first week of March daylight is not really an issue.

March 5 Sunset in Copenhagen is @ 6:00 - in Barcelona @ 6:45
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 10:25 AM

Go to Andalucia - Seville, Cordoba, and Granada. She can easily fly into Malaga, as can you. What fun !
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

If we were to go to Spain and fly into Malaga we would skip Barcelona, right. On a completely different note, what's Iceland like then? Would it be ridiculous to visit that time of year? Northern lights? Hot springs, etc.
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 11:40 AM

Yes, flying into Malaga, you'd miss Barcelona, but don't worry, it won't disappear. You mentioned "warm". Iceland wouldn't be warm. You have a very short time for this trip. Make the most of it.
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 11:49 AM

My daughter and I visited Seville for her spring break during that time two years ago, and loved it. Lots of sunshine, and a couple of days were very warm. On our day trip to Italica I wanted to stay in the shade. That was an easy Easyjet flight from London, so flights might make a difference.
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Stokebailey,

Did you just stay in Seville or go elsewhere too.
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

What is Marbella like? Are places close enough that we could stay in one or two towns and do day trips?
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 08:42 PM

Sevilla would be a better location if you are looking on visiting the area and having a good base. Marbella is just a destination resort.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 12:16 AM

3000 year old Malaga city itself is genuine Andalucian atmosphere, lots of sights, excellent museums, cafes, terraces, tapas bars, restaurants, theaters etc etc.

"Malaga - Spain's best kept secret": http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...pt-secret.html

"Picasso's city of hidden treasures": http://www.theguardian.com/travel/20...-breaks-travel

"Málaga, Spain’s Self-Appointed New Arts Hub" http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/25/ar...-arts-hub.html

From Malaga it's easy to go to Cordoba (50 mins), Granada (90 mins) and Antequera (40 mins): http://www.andaluciacoastandcountry....era-spain.html

Weather statistics for Malaga first week of March says average highs 66F and 7 hours sun pr. day. (wetteronline.de)
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 12:22 AM

... and just found this from Daily Mail: "Welcome to Malaga, the new Barcelona!".
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...tinations.html
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 02:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Malaga is wonderful old town with a great museum and easy access to Airport and trains to Seville and Cordoba.

Marbella is the grotty place up the road where northern european ex-gansters, garage owners and Arabs who find Saudi to hot/restrictive hang out.

Somewhere there must be someone pushing Marbella on the unsuspecting North American market, I wish they would stop.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. So maybe we could use Malaga as our base and take the train or drive places for day trips. Only problem is that Malaga isn't easy to get to from Boston.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 04:22 AM

I'm quite confused by what you want as you had 2 older threads asking similar questions. I had thought you were flying to CPH and then flying onto somewhere else within Europe that was warmer.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 06:33 AM

Big international airport in Malaga. http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Ae...a-del-Sol.html
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 06:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think New York to Malaga (Delta) is possible or you could go via Dublin, Paris, Zurich or Munich
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 07:54 AM

I found Malaga easier to get flight connections than Seville, in fact. I think Boston isn't as easy a starting point as say, New York. You won't find any flights nonstop, of course, to there or Seville (or probably anywhere in Spain, I can't, and I live in Washington DC, I can't get a nonstop to anywhere in Spain).

There are plenty of flights to Malaga from Boston with one stop, same as to many other destinations in Europe -- Air France/KLM/Delta,Aer Lingus or Norwegian through London or Swiss through Zurich.

So I don't understand that comment. I don't think there is anywhere in Spain you can fly nonstop from Boston, so one stop is the norm to Malaga or many other cities in Europe from Boston.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'll look into flights on these airlines.
Old Jan 30th, 2016, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

We have finally made plans-very different from when I first started thinking about it? We will fly into Barcelona, meeting my daughter there, and will stay three nights. We will have two full days plus the afternoon we arrive. I want to see the Picasso museum and some of the Gaudi sights and do lots of walking/exploring. Anything else we shouldn't miss? Any great restaurant suggestions?

We will then take the train to Montpellier France and rent a car and will drive to the Cote d'Azure. I thought we could spend one night in Aix-en-Provence but am open to staying somewhere else along the way. We would then have two nights in the Riviera before leaving from Nice.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -