Changing money upon arrival in Buenos Aires

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2015, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this has been answered, but I didnt find any recent posts on the recommended approach for exchanging money upon first arriving in BA. I am aware of the Blue Rate issue, and the need to bring fresh 100 or 50 dollar bills, but I have some specific questions and would really appreciate some simplification on this. The whole thing has me kinda flumoxed.

1) upon arrival at airport, my understanding is that we can arrange for a taxi at the kiosk with the blue and white stripes before leaving the terminal. If we have not yet exchanged any dollars, how will we pay for this? Will they take dollars? Should we exchange a little money at the airport, even though the rate will be horrible, in order to pay for the taxi?
2) would it be easier if we hired a private car to pick us up at the airport because we could pay in dollars? Or would the driver perhaps take us to a reputable exchange place?
3) we are in BA for only two days ....we will be having a few meals and perhaps doing a little shopping....so we do not need a lot of pesos. We are staying at the Sofitel, where we will join our tour group at the end of the two days. I hate to spend a lot of our limited time worrying about exchanging money. What would you recommend as an easy and safe approach? Is our hotel likely to have a recommendation for a nearby place? Is the hotel likely to do an exchange for us at something better than the official rate, if not as good as the blue rate? If not...should we try to find the Alvear Palace hotel, as explained in fairly recent post?
Old Nov 22nd, 2015, 12:49 AM

When are you coming, nancythe nice?

See my: http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...-argentina.cfm

Today is Election Day here and I'm very busy, so I'll answer the rest of your questions later, but I need to know when you are coming, as the answer could change completely depending on that.

BTW, the Alvear Palace Hotel does NOT change money and whoever said it does is, at best, misinformed.

There is, however, a reputable "blue" exchange place around the block from this hotel.

Have a great time in my town.
Old Nov 22nd, 2015, 04:59 AM

Taxi Ezeiza will indeed take dollars.

I do believe that the Sofitel will either change dollars for pesos, or be able to recommend a nearby jeweler or other place where you can do so.

It would also be possible, given your short stay, to ask at a restaurant if they will let you pay in dollars, and ask them how close their exchange rate would be compared to the 'informal rate'. Still, you will want some pesos for taxis and entrance fees and any shopping you do.

This is not a difficult process - or a tie consuming one. Enjoy your short stay in BA !
Old Nov 22nd, 2015, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

We arrive Friday, November 27. Good to know we can pay taxi Ezeiza in dollars. I guess the question is what exchange rate will they apply. Or maybe we just wont worry about it too much at that point.
Old Nov 22nd, 2015, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Sorry I wasnt clear...I realize the exchange is not done by hotel Alvear Palace, but near there. I have no idea how close that is to our hotel..the Sofitel. I also read the earlier post about the elections, but thought any changes would not kick in until early December. If so, it would only impact us on our way home from Antarctica which will not involve a stayover in BA.

On a different topic...I read it was a good idea to have checked luggage wrapped in plastic to prevent theft. I gather it is possible to have that done at the airport? Do you recommend it? Should we do it for the trip to Argentina as well?
Old Nov 22nd, 2015, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"I have no idea how close that is to our hotel..the Sofitel"

Google maps or the maps app on your phone will tell you.

"I gather it is possible to have that done at the airport?"

It is possible to have it done at most airports, but it is not free. I worry more about the airplane company losing my luggage and anything important - pharma, electronics and change of socks and underwear - is in my carry on.
Old Nov 22nd, 2015, 10:36 PM

You can also get plastic at Home Depot to wrap your own luggage at home before setting out.
Old Nov 23rd, 2015, 01:15 AM

Let's see:

Later today we'll see how the "blue" exchange rate reacts to the election as president of the opposition candidate.

At the airport, you can pay for the transportation to your hotel with your CC using Tienda León or other firms with booths located when you exit customs. At his writing, this will cost you about 600 pesos or 60 dollars. It is the easiest and simplest way to do it.

Taxi Ezeiza charges 450 pesos, but they down't take CCs and should cost you about 45 dollars cash. http://www.taxiezeiza.com.ar/spa/tarifas

The Sofitel is within walking distance of the place mentioned in this hotel review, along some of the most elegant streets of BA:
http://tinyurl.com/pqpj6z3
If you arrive Friday morning, go there after you have checked in at your hotel and change the amount you feel you may spend in Argentina. The Sofitel's concierge may know of a good place closer to the hotel. Check this page http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/ for the prevailing "blue rate" and remember the broker has to make a living. Remember it may be next to impossible to get rid of any leftover pesos if you are not coming back to BA.

About the plastic wrapping, it can help and it will be offered to you at the airport, but do NOT carry valuables or expensive electronics in your checked luggage, plastic or no plastic.

Did I miss anything, nancythenice?

Have a great time in my town and a wonderful cruise.
Old Nov 23rd, 2015, 02:03 AM

nancythenice: There is one thing you must NEVER do upon arrival at our EZE international and AEP local airports and that is boarding transportation which cannot be PREPAID in an official-looking booth INSIDE the terminal.

BTW, unless you have prepaid your hotel stay, you can save a significant amount of money by paying in cash pesos for your stay at the Sofitel, instead of using your CC.

Anything else I can do for you, nancythenice?
Old Nov 23rd, 2015, 04:23 AM

nancythenice: I assume you know you guys should leave expensive watches or jewelry at home.
Old Nov 23rd, 2015, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. This is very helpful. It will be interesting to see how the election impacts everything. Keep us posted!

We have arranged for a walking tour of the city center for the afternoon of our arrival, with BuenosTours, and they recommended the same location for changing our money. The only valuables we will have with us are camera gear, tablet, and phone. Those will be in our carryons. It is somewhat iffy to know how much money to change...we figured dinner for two with wine might be $75? Does that sound right? I wish I had known about all the money issues before reserving at the Sofitel. I did the non-cancellable,pay in advance option because it was less expensive. We will ask them, but I am betting that means they will charge our credit card in dollars.
Old Nov 23rd, 2015, 09:24 AM

The "gap" between the "blue" and the official rate of exchange would allow you to save today a little over 30% on anything which can be paid with a CC.

We hope you'll post a trip report and will expect you to tell us all about BuenosTours.

Camera gear, tablet and phone ideally should be kept as out of sight as possible when walking around BA.

Yes, 75 dollars changed at the blue rate should be enough for a nice dinner.

Ask the Sofitel if they will allow you to pay in cash pesos for your stay on the day of your arrival. I don't think it will work, but you never know.

Have a great time in my town.
Old Nov 26th, 2015, 05:09 AM

One year we went to Paris and it was pouring rain in NY .. when we arrived in Paris and I started unpacking the luggage, I found it was very wet.
When I opened my suitcase, a red guide book had "run" all over a new white sweater ,,, so wrapping the luggage is a great idea for keeping things safe inside / against theft and weather .. and luggage handlers : )