Stockholm 4 days in November

Old Oct 21st, 2015, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stockholm 4 days in November

My husband has a business trip and we are piggybacking 4 days/nights in Stockholm the first week in November (5th - 9th). We have a flat in Norrmalm. We are planning on visiting the Vasa Museum, Ostermalm food market, Galma Stan, Storkyrkan Cathedral & the changing of the guard at the palace. I am not sure my 3 boys are interested in seeing the inside of the palace, though it might be a nice respite from the cold!

Would love to do a boat tour of the archipelago - any commendations on that? It appears our only option is a noon tour on Saturday or Sunday:

http://www.stromma.se/en/stockholm/s...ur-with-guide/

Does the route look good? Are there other options I am not seeing?

I know it will be cold and potentially rainy. Dark early... We will be prepared for that (and the prices...). Anything else I am missing? Other areas we should check out?

We generally prefer to shop & prepare dinners at the flat, but would like at least one good dinner out. Not fancy or Michelin starred - but good Swedish food. I have read Pelikan is good, but is it appropriate for kids? Not ill behaved kids - just normal 8 & 11 year olds. I also read La Neta is good for mexican, Vigarda for burgers & Beijing 8 for dumplings. Anyone have experience with these?

I was considering a free walking tour (the one where you tip afterward accordingly). Good idea? Would love to hear anyones input. Thanks!!
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 08:34 AM

Definitely look at the gorgeous town hall - where nobel prizes are awarded. There are several interesting museums including a historical one with lots of viking remains.

Ordinarily I would suggest a visit to skansen (combined zoo and folk museum where docents demonstrate traditional aspects of local life) but I'm not sure of the opening hours in November and/or how many demonstrations there are.
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 09:34 AM

Second vote for city hall.
Pelikan is a fine choice and dining with your kids should not pose any issues. Indeed, from their website:
But our Chef is hoping for to recreate the kind of Sunday meals at the Pelikan that he remembers from his childhood. The menu has to be worth its price and affordable for families with children.
At Ostermalms we had a great lunch at Lisa Elmqvist. Enjoy.
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips! Anyone had any experience with the "free" walking tours?
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 05:30 PM
kja

That cruise should be fine, but it might not be your only option -- when I was there -- MANY moons ago -- one could just go to the harbor and pick the cruise that suited your needs best. If being flexible works for you, it might be worth trying that, but with a family to consider, booking the option you found might make most sense....

Skansen would, I think, be worth considering:
http://www.skansen.se/en/calendar

Would your children be interested in any of the options at Drottningholm? Or in Gamla Uppsala?

Enjoy!
Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 01:06 AM
Original Poster

I had assumed that the choices on the cruises were now much more limited (on the website) because we are headed into November. The weather is getting colder and there aren't as many tourists. I will wait until we are a bit closer to check the weather forecast before I book anything.

Skansen looks to have a good bit going on. The glass blowing sounded amazing, but that isn't on the calendar while we are there

Drottningholm Palace is only open on Saturday & Sunday starting in November. Not sure how interested my boys will be in wandering the palace & grounds. The Town Hall is closed one day we are there and closes early the other days. I will have to plan carefully.

I considered Galma Uppsala - but it is 1 1/2 hrs on public transport - so I'm not sure we want to spend 3 hrs getting to & from one location if we are only there 4 days (really 3 full days). Though I'm not opposed to hiring a car for a day... Plenty to do & see! Thanks again for are the help!
Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 04:26 AM

Vasa Museum in Stockholm is pretty awesome.

Also can catch a ferry from nearby over to the photography museum and the area surrounding which is pretty nice and has lots of good restaurants and cafes