Regent Seven Seas Navigator?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are considering a 12 day Eastern Mediterranean cruise in 2016 on the RSS Navigator. We are experienced travelers, but novice cruisers. While the cruise looks wonderful, I am concerned with the negative reviews of the ship/cruise line that I am seeing on Cruise Critic. For those of you with experience, can you provide me with your comments regarding this line and/or ship?

Many thanks.
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 11:15 AM

We used Regent for our cruise from Sydney to New Zealand and it has spoiled us for life for any other cruise line. It was perfect in every way. We loved the all inclusive element, never having to worry about having the second glass of wine, or which restaurant to frequent. We could have our meals any time we wanted and with whom we wanted, or alone. Every meal was like having a fantastic restaurant experience and we are foodies. Even at the deck buffet we could order what we wanted, including made to order Pad Thai, and I could specify the ingredients I wanted. Our balcony cabin was nicer than many hotel rooms we have stayed in and the marble bathroom with tub and shower better than ours at home. The negative reviews could have been from frequent cruisers who have maybe become a little jaded in their travel experiences. If you like a small cruise ship with personalized service and tremendous food you will love it.
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Maggi. May I ask when you took this cruise and what ship you cruised on?
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 04:14 AM

Paul, No advertising on Fodors.
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 08:04 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OrlandoVic - instead of posting on all of Paul101's posts -- triangle them. Otherwise you are topping all his posts . . .
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 01:47 AM

We have been on Regent 4 times - once on Navigator to Alaska. We are very spoiled. While expensive, we love the all inclusive. It is often difficult to spend your on-board credit.

In contrast, we took an Oceania cruise last year. Same parent company but not all inclusive. The bars were DEAD, not much conviviality. We just completed our last Regent cruise a few weeks ago, and the bartender would see us come through the door and start making our cocktail! Cabins are spacious, service is good.

The only negative I have is that Navigator is smaller than her sisters and due for sprucing up which is scheduled for next year, I believe. The decor is a bit dated. There is also a significant aft vibration. Our cabin was more forward and we did not feel it at all.

I'll check back if you have specific questions.
Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 01:34 PM

I would like to second the positive comments above. I've been on Navigator twice, to Alaska and an Iceland/Norwegian fjords/North Cape. Both were fantastic cruises. I didnt mind the smaller size of the ship (I've also been on Mariner and Voyager which are bigger). The cabins are as big as those on Voyager. Haven't cruised on her since 2005, so not sure how she's holding up. The vibration is a problem if you are aft but we had one of the window cabins( no balcony) toward the front and had no problems. The Navigator has been chosen by Regent to do the World cruise in 2016 and from what I understand its sold out!
Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 05:06 PM

Iregeo2, we were on Voyager Australia & New Zealand January 2014.
Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 09:05 PM

My wife and I were on Navigator this past spring: Vancouver to Anchorage on our first cruise ever. We were on the eighth deck, roughly mid ship or a bit forward and had no problems with engine vibration -- slightly noticeable, but not bad.
A smaller cruise ship was what we wanted, and Regent really spoiled us. It is true that some public areas looked the least bit tired, but our concierge level suit was fine, furnished comparably to a good hotel.
Passengers were generally affluent, informal and friendly. The crew was great: friendly, obliging and right there if you wanted anything.
Regent is expensive, yes, but it was truly all-inclusive and impossible to go dry or hungry. Meals, wine and spirit selections were excellent. Onboard entertainment was generally good, with very good educational lectures, and we enjoyed every shore excursion we took.
We usually travel independently and we're not easily impressed, but both of us agree that the cruise on Navigator was one of our best vacations in many years.
Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 10:17 PM

Kvick, which of the offered tours did you take and did you think they were good ones? I've heard that you can pick tours on any of the stops right at the dock. Did you pay extra for any tours?
Old Oct 24th, 2015, 05:50 AM

I'll be general, as my recommendations for Alaskan trips won't help with your Mediterranean cruise. Trips in Alaska were mostly about scenery and wildlife, and Alaskan weather is always a factor. Regent can't guarantee wildlife or weather, so keep that in mind if it seems to apply to your cruise.
We did some standard trips and some at extra cost. We enjoyed some more than others of course, but the most enjoyable were not necessarily the ones at extra cost. None were bad and none were chintzy. Guides and any food were good.
My advice is to pick the tours you want whether they are at extra cost or not. After all, how often will you do this?
Go through your choices carefully in advance and pick your tour ahead of time if possible. Nearly always you can choose a tour close to the last minute, but it's not impossible for a tour to be completely full if you wait too long.
Also, remember that a tour can stretch longer than expected. You're not going to run into trouble with the ship leaving, but Regent recommends not scheduling return from one tour too close to departure of a second one. Their recommendation for Alaska was to leave a space of four hours if I remember correctly. Because of that, it might not be possible to do every tour you wish, so choose carefully.
Old Oct 24th, 2015, 08:08 AM

Thanks kvick. Actually we ARE taking the Alaska cruise (not Mediterranean). If you have time to be more specific to that area I'd really appreciate it.
Old Oct 24th, 2015, 08:09 AM

Kvick, I am not the OP, who is going to the Mediterranean. I'm sorry, I don't want to highjack this post.
Old Oct 24th, 2015, 11:51 AM

Maggi, I'll be back tomorrow. Preparing for a dinner party tonight and have no time right now. I'll also have to try to remember all the side trips we took.
Quick note -- I don't think Navigator will be cruising to Alaska in 2016. I think it will be Mariner.
Old Oct 25th, 2015, 10:54 AM

Maggi --
One excursion we greatly enjoyed was the Mendenhall Glacier Explorer trip. Great scenery. I think that originated from Juneau.
We also especially enjoyed a floatplane flight out of Juneau over five glaciers, This was at extra cost, but well worth it if you don't mind flying in a small plane. I don't know about getting tours right at the dock, but we arranged this trip on ship just the evening before.
Although the ship itself usually cruises Tracy Arm fjord, I'd recommend taking a smaller boat -- I believe at extra cost -- from the ship to do it. The glacier at the head of Tracy Arm had recently calved an iceberg, and Navigator was unable to safely enter the fjord, although the smaller boat could.
Farther down on the list, although still worthwhile is the crab feast in Ketchikan: all you can eat Dungeness crab after a boat ride with a demo of small-trap crabbing and calling eagles down to the water. Good photo op if they can get an eagle close to the boat.
From Skagway we did a raft trip through an eagle preserve, which I think would be most interesting in mid June or later, when the salmon are running and there would be eagles fishing in large numbers. No whitewater; I think it might reach your knees in most places.
We saw bear and sea otters, and walked beach and forest with a naturalist as part of a jet-cat wildlife and beach exploration. That I think originated in Sitka.
Hope this will be helpful to you. There's a lot of options to choose from, and they're not always the same from year to year.
Old Oct 25th, 2015, 07:18 PM

Wow, those are amazing suggestions! I really appreciate your taking the time to reply. Thank you so much!