Carnavalet Closures - Still Worth Going?

Old Sep 21st, 2015, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carnavalet Closures - Still Worth Going?

While we have been to Paris numerous times, we have never visited the Carnavalet Museum. This time I was planning on finally getting there, but note the following information on their website:

"Due to security maintenance, the following rooms from Middle Age to XVIIIth century are closed : rooms of the Renaissance, rooms of the XVIIth century, rooms of the aldermen, the gallery Sévigné and the rooms Louis XV."

This sounds like a lot is closed! Could those individuals who actually have visited please weigh in on whether this sounds like something we should still make a special trip to see this visit, or whether we should wait for another trip? Also I have always read it touted that this was a "free" museum, but now you need a 5 euros ticket? Thanks in advance! K.
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 03:38 AM

I think it would still be worthwhile. My favorite part is the French Revolution floor. I don't recognize the above as that.
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 04:49 AM

The official website says that a 5 EU entry is voluntary and would go to support the museum. We've never paid to get in to see the permanent collection. You have to buy a separate ticket for temporary exhibits.

This is a good museum even when lots of rooms are closed. They are trying to update security, handicap access and improve signage without closing permanently so the direction normally takes different rooms out of rotation during the year. If you only wanted to see the things that are closed skip it and go elsewhere.
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 08:35 AM

It's never been one of my favorite museums, anyway, so I would never make a special point to go there. I think it depends if you are especially interested in those rooms that are closed. All city museums are free, don't know what you are reading, the actual website says it is a suggested donation. There are fees for special exhibitions, of course.
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 08:52 AM

I've been to the Carnavalet many times and am grateful to the city of Paris for making it available for all. However, the last time we were there a couple of years ago, there seemed to be problems we had not encountered before. Here's what I wrote in my trip report:

<<I was disappointed to find that one of the exhibits that I especially wanted to see again was in a room that was closed. There was a sign that it would be reopened at 2:00, so we waited until 2:15. When no one showed up then to reopen the room, I went down to the entrance to inquire and was told to wait fifteen minutes more. Twenty minutes later, another museum staff person told me that the area would not be reopened that day at all because too few employees had come to work. Someone else disagreed and said it would probably be reopened at 3:00. It had not reopened by 3:30 so we left. It was somewhat disconcerting to see this in a major museum.>>

I wonder if the city has budget or staffing problems now. What do they mean by "security maintenance"? And now they are requesting donations. There's voting going on right now regarding the city's budget and I hope that, as seems to be too prevalent, the arts and culture aren't taking the most hits.

Having said this, though, I would still strongly advise a visit to see whatever happens to be on display. It's a wonderful museum and I hope they are getting the support they deserve from the city. And I would happily donate €5.
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 09:07 AM

All city museums are free

What other "city" museums are you talking about, please. The Orsay is a city museum, I think, as opposed to a national museum like the Louvre, and hence the different closing days--Monday and Tuesday.
Old Sep 21st, 2015, 10:02 AM

City museum = municipal museum. Permanent collections free, temporary exhibitions not so much.

http://next.paris.fr/english/museums...-museums/p8229
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 12:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing everyone.
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 06:28 AM

Darn! We're going back to the Carnavalet and had hoped to see more than the Revolution and a few other things that we saw last time.

But the collection of Revolutionary material is worth the price of admission (and more) by itself.
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 06:47 AM

sandyh - thanks for the great link! Some of these museums I know and some I don't so there is something to be discovered! I note that I didn't see anything about admission on the website for the Musée Cognacq-Jay and I went there 2 weeks ago (thinking if was free) and there was an admission charge!
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 10:22 AM

The Carnavalet is one of my favorite museums and since I often spend quite a lot of time in the Marais I tend to drop in, see a bit of the permanent exhibit (love the old shop signs and the miniatures of the quarters) or whatever the current special exhibition may be, and move on. Just sitting in the garden is also worth while, IMO. All easy to do since there is no entry fee although the occasional voluntary donation is welcome.
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 11:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Gretchen, this is a list of the municipal museums operated by the city of Paris and free to the public to view the permanent collections:

http://next.paris.fr/english/museums...-museums/p8229

The Musee d'Orsay is a national museum.

http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en/collect...ions/home.html
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 03:25 PM

I think there is yet another delineation--I had always heard that city museums were closed on Mondays and National museums on Tuesday (or vice versa). And these posts now speak of "municipal" museums.
It's just something to keep track of for days to visit. I think the Orsay is closed on Monday and Louvre on Turesday so not sure why. Versailles is closed on ____.
Thanks.