December Honeymoon Under $1400

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for ideas for a honeymoon 5-6 days starting December 13th leaving from IAH. Ideally price should be under $1400 total including airfare. Wants include an all inclusive resort, snorkeling, beach time, an adventure park of some kind (he was thinking ATVs and jet skis), and ruins to visit. This is for my brother and his new wife ages 21 and 20. He has never been out of Texas but she has been on all cruise itineraries leaving Galveston, so most of the port cities. I originally planned a week in Belize but that idea was shot down because it was not all inclusive. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 17th, 2015, 03:26 PM

Is that $1400 budget per person or the total for the two of them? If for both it's unrealistic, especially if you are looking for "all Inclusive". If per person then it might be possible but since the couple is traveling at the beginning of "High Season" (starts December 15) their hotel options will be very limited. Their best bet is to look on Airline websites and Travel websites like Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia for "package deals" in Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen and in the Dominican Republic.

Honestly, that budget is very low for a Caribbean Vacation, even for 5 or 6 nights.
Old Sep 17th, 2015, 06:58 PM

Is that budget for the two of them or for each?
Look at Travelzoo and cheapcaribbean.com for specials and ideas, including Mexico. Then call the resorts to compare.

Is the Bride opposed to another cruise? If not, look at vacationstogo. If the budget is the total for both, there are several cruises from Texas at that time that might work. There are even some good deals on balcony cabins in that price range. It would not leave much over for activities, but maybe friends could gift some of those. If they took an inside cabin, they could do it on that budget if someone drove them to the port and saved parking costs.
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 03:25 AM

Cruise might work, but you have to pay for drinks

If $1400 for both it ain't going to happen, if per person, you'll have to go to cheapest destinations, DR, Mexico. Check out Roatan. (easier trip too from TX)

On different note, tell brother to get passport now! It's taking all of at least 7-8 weeks to get

If cruise then just passport card would do, but if spending the night on land then it must be a passport BOOK

PS a cruise out of TX to carribean would also help by not having airfare, they could drive

PSS. Keep in mind starting 15th, most places are already sold out and pickings will be slim
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 05:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
<<If for both it's unrealistic, especially if you are looking for "all Inclusive".>>

No, it's not unrealistic. They should be able to find a six night all inclusive package to Cancun for around $1400 for two people. Just a quick search shows a number of hotels available for around or a little more than that. These are 3.5 and 4 star properties.
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 05:12 AM

Also, there are a number of options in Punta Cana for around $1600 for two all inclusive.
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your replies. The $1400 is total for two people. It was a starting point. I have done a few searches on Expedia and found places in Cancun like the last Tom42 mentioned. I wasn't sure which location I should look at so that it had all the activities they are looking for adventure, beach, snorkeling, and ruins. Which places would you suggest I look at for those activities? I have also been looking at cruises out of Galveston as an option. Thanks again for your help!
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 07:52 AM

I would go a little south toward Playa Del Carmen. Ruins are close by at Tulum, snorkel with turtles at Akumal, swim in one of the many cenote caves nearby. The Riu properties are lower budget, but we enjoyed the Grand Palladium, if your budget allows. We had a nice time there summer 2014.
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 09:03 AM

Just remember that the "package prices" you see on the websites ads usually say something like "From $700 PP" and do not include taxes, service charges/gratuities and/or resort fees and are usually for stays during "Low Season". You may find the basic rate will be higher for your brother's planned dates of travel. So make sure you read the "fine print" as these "extras" could easily make your brother and his wife to exceed their budget.

Keep in mind too that even though a resort might be All Inclusive certain "off resort" activities such as private tours to ruins or certain excursions may require them to pay an extra fee.
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 10:59 AM

Tom, they include air? There's nothing 4 star about them at those prices, even in Mexico!

But if it gets them there more power to them, it's all about the destination anyway
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 12:21 PM

<<Tom, they include air? There's nothing 4 star about them at those prices, even in Mexico!>>

Yes, they do. Here is the Royal Sands for $749 per person. Listed as four star, gets quite positive reviews and looks pretty nice. Have you actually ever researched this? Of course, these prices would be significantly higher at some other times of the year.

http://royalreservations.com/en/resorts/the-royal-sands
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 12:30 PM

<<Just remember that the "package prices" you see on the websites ads usually say something like "From $700 PP" and do not include taxes, service charges/gratuities and/or resort fees and are usually for stays during "Low Season". You may find the basic rate will be higher for your brother's planned dates of travel.>>

That's really inaccurate information as it relates to the travel sites like Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc. What you will see are the prices in effect for the dates you are looking at and it will include taxes and fees.
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 12:41 PM

I haven't looked everywhere, but I'm extremely world traveled. The link you gave looks lovely, with specials comes to $216 nightly plus taxes, but where is the free air?

I know they can try places like Travelzoo.com, even expedia.

Using your link, AI room including taxes $1084
cheapest air $312 pp

Total $1708 $300 over budget, which when budget is that low makes it roughly 23% difference, which is a substantial difference!
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 12:46 PM

Blamona - I only gave the link to the hotel. Expedia is offering that hotel with airfare for $746 per night. When you book air and room together you, the airfare is usually better and the hotel can be offering a special with that particular travel site. It was $749 per person. Which is $98 over the $1400.

(but I do love the line "I am extremely world traveled")
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 12:47 PM

and that's for six nights. If they want to reduce to five nights, more options will open in their price range
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 12:56 PM

they can try cheapcaribbean.com

But warning: just because Apple, CheapCaribbean, they're not what USA considers true 3.5-4 star hotels!

4 Star hotel= top of line Hilton, I would equate these hotels (when rating against US hotels closer to a 2, like a comfort suites type or econo lodge, not a Marriott.

Nothing wrong with it, but they shouldn't expect a JW Marriott (I didn't say Ritz which is still Marriott) at Fairfield Inn prices

Still an awesome deal for start of peak season
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 02:21 PM

Included air is also only from specific airports, so rate will go up from other departure places.

I did once get a hotel room at a resort that included taxes, but when we arrived, we were charged an additional $10.00 each for use of just the outdoor pool. They said we got our room at a discounted price, so facilities did not come with that room. It was not an AI place, so I did not expect meals. I had never been to any hotel where the pool had a fee, except where it was part of a gym. Absolutely nothing online or on the rental form indicated it would be a separate fee, it can happen. Ask about everything.

It also looks like some of the specials for 4 nts go up much more for 5 nts. The OP is going to really have to do some research.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 07:30 AM
KVR

That price for an AI in Mexico is doable. I've done it several times leaving out of IAH. I would start with Cozumel, Cancun and then the Playa del Carmen area. I do caution that at that price with an AI you will get what you pay for. The food is usually not that great and on property amenities will be limited, but the unlimited drinks are worth the price. When we have decided to go that route, we usually eat breakfast and snacks on property, but go off the resort for lunch and dinners.

We tend to go either the first or second week of December as that is where you will get the better price. I would play with dates on some of the travel sites and see what you get.