Where to Stay in New Orleans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband is attending a conference in New Orleans next month, and I am tagging along. We will be at Le Meridien during the conference, but we need a hotel for the weekend after the conference. It will be my first visit to NO.

Unfortunately, it is Octoberfest that weekend, and hotel prices are really high. Just to give you an idea--Hotel Monteleone is $500/night, and Dauphine Orleans is $409. I have found a few hotels that are in the $200 range. Can anyone tell me which would be best in terms of location. We will go out to dinner, but we will not be out particularly late.

Renaissance Inn Downtown (Warehouse District)
Omni Royal Crescent (Warehouse District)
Hyatt Regency New Orleans
Best Western French Quarter
Creole Gardens (Garden District)
Hampton Inn (Warehouse District)
Omni Riverfront (Warehouse District)

Any other suggestions? Thank you!!
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 01:55 PM

I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency later this month. First time to NOLA so can't comment yet!
We are also staying at the Hyatt in the French Quarter for part of our trip.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 02:02 PM

I'm guessing that's the Residence Inn Downtown (since the Renaissance Arts is only a couple of blocks away)? We stayed at the latter a few years ago and would definitely stay there again. We like to be in a quieter area, plus there are many good restaurants around, it's near the WWII Museum and many galleries.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Oops! You're right sf7307. That should be the Residence Inn Downtown. Glad to hear it's in a decent area.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 02:17 PM

I don't know what the rates will be during your visit, but when we were in NOLA after Christmas last December, we found the rates at the Springhill Suites Downtown to be among the most reasonable we found for that time of year. The hotel is in a quiet area, but it was easy for us to walk to the French Quarter and to the trolley stop for the Garden District. The rooms we had for our family were nice and the staff couldn't have been better.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 03:36 AM

What if you did your trip to NO before his conference rather than after? How do the rates look then? Ask the conference hotel if you can get the conference rate for the xx days you want to be there before the PowerPoints start. We hVe been able to get conference rates before and after the meetings on several occasions. Though not in NO.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 09:28 AM

We are also going to NO next month for a conference and we booked back in July. We are staying at the Sheraton. It is a lovely hotel--if it is after the conference you might get some better rates. Have you tried any B&B?
Old Sep 17th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The conference is on Thursday and Friday, so going beforehand would mean missing work.

I have been looking at what I think is the Sheraton on Hotwire. I was ready to book it until I saw what the price is after fees. (I've never used Hotwire before.) So I am still looking at other options.

The nicer B&B's are booked. I've thought about staying in the Garden District, but I'm not sure whether that's a good idea.
Old Sep 17th, 2015, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try "SHEETS" in the promo code field for Drury Inns, the Drury on Poydras Street is a great place to stay and a very good location (check reviews). The Residence Inn Downtown is nice, but the location is a bit more isolated.
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much Clark. I appreciate the suggestion and the promo code. The Sheraton is a little less than the Drury Inn, and in a better location--I think? We are going on an expensive weekend, and I think I am just going to have to suck it up.