trip to Acadia National Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family is traveling to Acadia National Park for the first time. Looking to stay in either Sorrento or Brooklin. Suggestions?
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 09:50 AM

Stay ON Mount Desert Island.
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 09:51 AM

WHY?
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 10:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorrento is a tiny fishing village. Have you found any lodging choices there?

Your post is too vague, what sort of "suggestions" are you looking for. Are you asking us to suggest one over the other....Brooklin vs Sorrento?
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 11:04 AM

My why was directed at elberko
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 11:10 AM

Until the OP comes back with more input, my suggestion stands.
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 11:16 AM

Well I just thought it would be helpful to all who come to this thread if you backed up such a strong stance with reasons.
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 11:24 AM

The majority of of Acadia is on MDI. For a first trip, it seems logical to stay there and avoid tedious drives, depending, of course, on your length of stay and plans.

I have been to Isle au Haut and the Schoodic Penninsula. I would not stay in either of the places mentioned for a first trip.
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 02:09 PM

I tend to agree with elberko...the best hiking and mostof the activities of Acadia or on Mount Desert Island. I've also been to the Schoodic penninsula, and its very quiet and pretty, but not nearly as much to see and do.

It makes much more sense to stay on MDI, and day trip to those places than to do it in the opposite direction.

Beyond that, I too would like to know what kind of suggestions the OP is looking for? there are quite a few threads with suggested hikes, activities and restaurants. Perhaps a quick search and then some more specific questions would be more useful?
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the tips. we want "off the beaten path" and don't mind driving to MDI. also want to explore Winter Harbor and Schoodic Peninsula. Only bad part is we arrive a few days before the Island explorer starts running for the season. How difficult is it to drive on MDI in June? We have 7 days to vacation
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 10:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not difficult to drive at all in June, just a couple of testy stopsigns with 5 or 6 vehicles backed up in small town road rage.

Early june can be BUGGY so bring the bug spray or don't stay TOO far off the beaten path.

Brooklin is not close to Bar Harbor it's down a different peninsula. So you're driving UP one peninsula for 10 miles then DOWN another peninsula for 10 miles when you want to visit MDI. And these are not fast-moving freeway miles.

If you want off-the-beaten path but a reasonable drive back and forth look at Seawall Motel, Bass Harbor Cottages or Harbor View Motel Cottages. Note that some areas of the islands will not have good cellphone coverage.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 02:23 AM

We stayed in Brooklin for 4th of July weekend this year and although we love "off the beaten path" Brooklin was too far off. It was about a 45 minute drive to Stonington/Deer Isle where I had booked a boat trip around the island (highly recommend the once a year trip with local historian). There are very few restaurants and no "lobster shacks" although there were places you could buy fresh lobster on the entire peninsula. We did not go to Acadia since we were only doing a weekend trip but I agree the drive is too far. June won't be as busy as the rest of summer. We did a June weekend which was very quiet but that was back in 1997 (late June so didn't notice bugs).

Take advice from the Acadia experts. It's a shame Maine has a reputation for being crowded because there are plenty of quiet places to visit even 4th of July weekend. We have spent 4th of July week in Wiscasset/Bath area which is far less popular than nearby Boothbay. You will not have any ocean views in Brooklin although we did find a small, public secluded beach which would have made a great picnic spot (pine forest next to beach).
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Ok, thanks for your help! I will search the western side of MDI near bass harbor, tremont and try to decide very soon
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 08:48 AM

I think you'll be happy with that, shumphrey. I don't think there will be crowds that early, and you'll find plenty of quiet, pleasant areas on MDI.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 09:18 AM

thanks for elaborating elberko - most helpful
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 11:58 AM

we stay in lamoine on the water. ellsworth nearby with good dining and shopping and acadia an easy half hour ride.