Late flight into Strasbourg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2015, 11:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I managed to book 6 round trip tickets (3 adult, 3 kids) from Stansted into Strasbourg for under £100! Of course, that means that we are flying into Strasbourg at 9:30pm! I have booked a car with Enterprise but their office closes at 10:15 according to the hours they listed in my confirmation email. We have taken a late evening flight with Ryan before and ended up delayed a couple of hours, which happens more the later in the day you fly... I am wondering if it would be smarter/possible to book a hotel near the airport (with shuttle service?) for our first night to avoid problems picking up the car.

We fly into Strasbourg on Tuesday 22 Sep and back to London on Sat 26 Sep (both late flights). I was planning on using Gengenbach area as a base to see Alsace & Black Forest. Any thoughts or experiences that might be relevant?

We are 2 adults, 1 sprightly grandmother & 3 boys (14, 11 & 8).

Thanks!!
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 01:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You might like to just check if this runs that late (or later) http://strasbourg.aeroport.fr/EN/Pas...tle-train.html

I'd not trust Ryan-liar one inch on anything. But with the kids I might go with the car option. Lots of hotels on the road into Strasbourg.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 02:56 AM

Whatever happens and whatever you do, the evening will be wrecked.

What I would do: I would book one night in a cheap hotel near the aiport (Kyriad, Ibis, Best...) and take over the rental car next morning.

Gengenbach will make a perfect base. It is a cute town, has good access to the Vogtsbauernhof open-air museum and to Triberg and is also very convenient to reach Alsace.
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Ryan-liar, lol... We have experienced an "evening" flight with them that ended with us getting home at 3am... I have tempered my expectations, but for £10 my complaints will be small.

I knew flying in that late there would be no sight seeing, dinner or anything else fun that night/evening.

Would a taxi hold 6 people? I've reserved a rental car, but if we arrive really late public transport might be an issue too... As best I can tell the aeroport shuttle/train stops running just after midnight...
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 08:50 AM

There are a few taxis that hold 6 people - but I am not sure if you can get one late at night. But two taxis for 3 or 4 kilometres to an airport hotel won't break the bank.