Search

Solo travellers in Chile

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2015, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solo travellers in Chile

Hello folks.

Is anybody else planning to be travelling solo in Chile between Sept 25th and October 11th? I will be going to Atacama, Pucón and Santiago. So, in case there´s anybody out there who is planning to do the same and might be interested in having a travelling companion for some time, at least to be able to have your pictures taken at such beautiful places without having to resort to selfies, I would be very happy to meet you.

Best Regards,

Aline
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 11:28 AM

Visit or stay at most any hostile in Chile and you'll find dozens of people who're in the same situation. Half the fun is finding a complete stranger you connect with and spending the best day of your life with them.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

That is true indeed, but as I do not know anybody who might be replying to this e-mail, whoever did reply would be a complete stranger anyway Thank you for replying.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 05:06 AM

I think it is a better idea to wait until you arrive to link up with people. A stranger standing in front of you is a lot easier to read than an invisible one on the internet. Just my take on it.

Take one of the walking tours where you just tip (average US$10 suggested) of Santiago when you arrive as they are not expensive and a good place to meet others. Any of the tours in San Pedro will bring you into contact with others to share other tours. Pucón the same. All are tourist destinations so will have a lot of people moving around the same places you are.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 05:50 AM

> A stranger standing in front of you is a lot easier to read than an invisible one on the internet. Just my take on it.

Not just your take, it's a simple fact.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 09:35 PM

I got a local guide and felt completely happy as I did the tour at my rithm and with a local tour guide in chile. I don´t know if it is allowed to recommend so I won´t write it here.
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the tips. You are all quite right. How about tours? Thought of getting them only after I get there, For those who have been to Pucon and Atacama, do you think that would be wiser than booking them ahead of time? I imagine there will be lots of options, from people on the streets offering packages to transeunts to local tour agencies. What would you recommend and what should I watch out for? Thank you.
Old Aug 24th, 2015, 06:29 AM

You can pick up tours in San Pedro de Atacama (Atacama is the name of the whole desert) and Pucón while you are there. There are any number of agencies offering tours. Booking ahead will be more expensive. I doubt anyone is allowed to tout their tours on the street in either place but I would definitely not take a tour from anyone doing it. Go into an agency and ask questions. You can often get a discount if booking more than one tour with the same company.
Old Sep 5th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Would anyone be able to recommend any, or has had a bad experience with one or another which should be avoided? Thanks.
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 07:05 AM

I travel often to Santiago for work and highly recommend the free walking tour (do that for the first day) and the Uncorked wine tour to the Colchagua Valley.

http://freetoursantiago.cl/portada.html
http://www.uncorked.cl/tours/tours_detalle_es.php?ID=19

Most of the other travelers on both tours were solo. Also, when in Santiago, make sure you go to Valparaiso. I went for the day with colleagues, but overnight would be better.
Old Sep 8th, 2015, 07:37 AM

Crosscheck's recommendations for those tour companies would also be mine. Both are the best of their kind.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much Crosscheck and Huentetu. I really appreciate it.