Old Aug 8th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping. Real reason to be angry

A recent tipping topic got people ranting. This is shocking

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-10441915.html
Old Aug 8th, 2015, 01:38 PM

The public are stupid to tip using a CC in the first place.
Old Aug 8th, 2015, 03:59 PM

Does anyone know it this is also a practice in the States?
Old Aug 8th, 2015, 04:29 PM

No this is not done by decent restaurants in the US - if they did they would lost their wait staff. What is referred to are the chain places where the wait staff are often students or don't have papers and who have no other options for work.
Old Aug 8th, 2015, 07:42 PM

In an abundance of caution, and since I can't really know if I am in a 'decent' restaurant or not, when using a credit card in the U.S., I charge the bill and write 'cash' in the space for a tip, and then leave the tip on the table in cash.

I have discussed this with many, some who swear that there is no problem and others who swear that most restaurants follow this deplorable practice. Since I can't know for certain, I tip in cash.
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 01:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
tip in cash, but at the table, not at the cash register
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 01:58 AM

Sometimes I find it convenient to add my tip to the bill when paying by card. Before I do, I ask the server if it is actually paid over to them. Here (in Ireland) I have always been told that it is. I should add as clarification that I rarely eat in chain restaurants.

My most recent experience was last Thursday in Dublin. The server told me that she would get the full tip in cash at the end of her shift. That's good treatment of staff, and probably explains why she has been working in the same place for a number of years.

"Administrative charges" are a scam; a couple of lines of code in the computerised system is not a heavy administrative burden.
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 03:55 AM

Wait a minute. You mean, I have to adjust my tipping practices -- via cash or credit card -- to ensure the tip gets channeled to the proper pocket and to combat the quasi-unethical practices of restaurant owners and franchises?

Yes, just what I needed. Another complication to my life, in the form of having to ponder payment form for an ordinary meal out.

Not going to happen.
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 05:52 AM

I know quite a few people working or having worked in the hospitality industry and they told me that many restaurants pool the tips regardless whether given in cash or via credit card. The reason is that they share the total tips among all employees including the staff in the kitchen. This is wise because patrons tip only if the food is good.

But often, not all employees will get their share (especially those ones who leave before the pool is distributed). And also very often, the owner cheats.

Better enjoy your meal and don't think too much about it.

For an entertaining read about the restaurant business:

Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly. By Anthony Bourdain.
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 06:43 AM

Mario Batali got into some hot water over tips. I always tip in cash. Wait staff, hair stylist and manicurist.
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 08:25 AM

Good reason to tip in cash. I occasionally have a pedicure, and I put the tip in the actual hand of the worker. I will tip in cash at the table from now on.