Driving to Vancouver from Calgary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2015, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am driving from Calgary to Vancouver during the 3rd week of August.
I am really scared of driving through the mountains, but must take daughter to university out there.

Can anyone suggest the best( least scary) route to take.

We are starting out from Ontario and going first to Calgary for sons wedding.
Old Aug 1st, 2015, 11:44 AM

First of all, deep breath! You will be fine. Rule 1 (in my opinion): do not allow yourself to be intimidated by drivers who want to go faster than you, and as a result may (or not) be riding up your bumper. Going through the mountains, there will always be opportunities for them to pass you. The highway, especially in the mountains, is designed to have passing lanes wherever possible. Having said that, try to keep to the speed limit whenever possible. As someone who has driven through the Rockies, I do make an effort to be patient with other drivers, knowing that I will be able to pass them at some point. However, going 50 km /hour will add to your stress, because it won't take long for a line up to build up behind you.

The most efficient way to get from Calgary to Vancouver will be as follows:

From Calgary get onto the Trans Canada (Hwy 1); just east of Kamloops there is a section of HWY97. Just follow signs directing you to Kamloops and/or Hwy 5. Get onto HWY 5, which will get you to Hope, BC. Hope is an arterial town for several Highways, including the section of the Trans Canada leading to Vancouver. Once in Hope, pat yourself on the back for making it safely through the mountains. This is great place to top up your gas tank and fill your tummy. There are several eateries, including Rolly's and The Home restaurants. Once your back on the road, welcome to Metro Vancouver traffic. I've been told we are a bunch of crazy drivers here.

Good luck and welcome to Vancouver.
Old Aug 2nd, 2015, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

I know I should be able to do this!

Is the entire 12 hour drive dangerous, as in only 1 lane each way only.

I know I should stop reading some of the stuff on line, but the Rogers Pass seems to be the worst area. I wish I new how long that particular section is. Also someone mentioned that there is a alternative 2 way highway that can be used at least part of the way.

Is that true, or just wishful thinking on my part?

One last question, about how much does it cost in gas driving to Vancouver.
I'm trying to convince hubby to fly there with my daughter and then fly back to Calgary. I just have to justify the cost.

I'm certainly sounding a little paranoid even to myself......lol
Anyway thank you for your help.
Old Aug 2nd, 2015, 07:45 AM

Kathee! Please calm down - it's not like the route suggested by jspoke is a dirt road!
Hwy 1 is the Trans Canada Hwy & as such is mostly 4 lanes all the way. The only place you need to be concerned is @ the snow sheds because people tend to slow down entering them the first time & the folks behind don't appreciate that. Just set your mind on having an enjoyable day travelling with your daughter.
I would suggest you overnight somewhere - Revelstoke, Salmon Arm, somewhere close to halfway as it's really a long day otherwise & you don't want to get into Vancouver traffic tired.
Gas - you'll probably burn maybe $100 enroute. Not a significant cost.
Just relax & enjoy.