Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Barcelona-Avignon by train -- what would you do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2015, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be leaving Barcelona for Avignon on a Saturday in September. In Avignon we plan to pick up a car and drive to our rental in St Remy, about an hour.

So here's the issue...there appears to be only 1 non-stop TGV between these two points, it leaves Barcelona a little before 5 and arrives in Avigon about 8:45PM (just under 4 hours). Our other choice is a a train that leaves at 9:25AM with just one change in Valence, arriving at 3:45. The actual time on the train in the latter case is actually pretty similar, there is a 90 minute layover in Valence.

I don't really mind the train change, although non stop would be easier (obviously we'll have luggage).And the extra half day in Barcelona would be fine. My real issue is that the non stop is half the price...70euro/pp instead of 150. there are 2 of us, so its a not insignificant amount of money.

I'm really not crazy about arriving at 9PM and then having to drive on unfamiliar roads in the dark to find a small apartment, and check in around 10PM (which may or may not be an issue ...have not actually booked the place yet).

What would you do? take the longer, more expensive but earlier train?
Spend an extra half day in Barcelona, save the money, but arrive in St Remy late and find your way in the dark?

Anybody have any other suggestions?
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 11:54 AM

Take the earlier train and arrive at your destination a little earlier in the day.
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 12:00 PM

I'd take the cheaper train not pick up my rental car that day and take the shuttle train right into the city then a taxi to hotel or taxi right from Avignon-TGV station.

It seems funny that changing at Valence - which is north of Avignon I believe and waiting there 90 mins can be about the same time but checking it out it does - maybe have a nice look around Valence.

Schedules on www.bahn.de - the German Railways pan-European schedules show for the last August Say - 29th: (Assume may run in Sep)?- Sat Aug 29 there is a train leaving Barcelona 13:25, changing at Nimes to a regional train, arrivng Avignon Centre - in town t 18:21 - did you check this out- could pick up rental car at Nimes too.

Schedules show more than just those two trains - bahn.de/en anyway.

Cheers! I agree arriving that late sucks - but for 70 euros I'd do it and have a dssplurge meal the next night.
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 12:10 PM

I would look at the apartment situation first. If 10pm or possibly even later arrival can be accommodated by additional late check in fee, then the direct vs. change train choices is an accounting issue. However, apartments usually have drop dead check-in time after which there is no provision for later check-in. If this is the case, the 8:45pm arrival train is a dead on arrival solution and removed from your consideration if you want to go straight to St-Remy. Of course, there are many other variations.

Look at all the possible train routes. For example, many trains from Barcelona stops at Nimes, which is a stop BEFORE Valence. If car rental arrangement from Nimes is acceptable to you, from Nimes to St-Remy is not much longer than a trip from Avignon while you chop off unnecessary Nimes-Valence-Avignon leg of the trip you are looking at.
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 12:18 PM

10 PM check in for an apartment could easily be a no-no. I have rented apartments that add 30 euros or so for check ins after 7 pm, and won't even accommodate a 10 pm arrival.
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 12:22 PM

Remember the fare shown isn't per person, it's the total for all passengers selected.
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 01:46 PM

Remember the fare shown isn't per person, it's the total for all passengers selected.>

You talking about train fares? What are you talking about, please and with respect? OP said the fare 70 and 150 was per person?????
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 02:08 PM

Vueling non-stop BCN to MRS; 50 Euros per person; leaves 10:00, arrives 11:10. Pick up rental car at MRS. Short easy drive to St. Remy. Book as early as possible to get this great price.
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 02:19 PM

Taxi to the apartment and pick up the car the next day, from either Avignon or Nimes.

Departing the train in Nimes would be a great choice IMHO if that is not too late for the apartment. Don't know where car pickup is though. You have to account for time to do that.

Flying into MRS is also a very reasonable choice. The airport is easy to navigate and so are roads.

My last choices would be paying extra to arrive early, or arriving really late and renting the car that night.
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 03:03 PM

Yes it seems that all train stop at Nimes from where you can take a local train right to Avignon-Ville and arrive much earlier - could pick up rental car at Nimes. For lots of details on trains check Man in Seat 61 who posts above his commercial site www.seat61.com and for general info www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.rickseteves.com.
Seems no need to go to Valence - get off at Nimes, assuming the train stops there as all do it seems.

Flights look viable too it seems as given above. www.whichbudget.com tells you all the airlines serving any two airports as does www.skyscanner.net.
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 03:13 PM

Zorrosf has the answer.

The train creates significant risks as far as picking up the rental car and getting into the apartment.

You also have to remember that buying supplies for the apartment is not going to be easy to do on Sunday.

The earlier you get there on Saturday, the better off you are.
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, there are lots of good ideas here. I will particularly look at whether we can get the rental car at Nimes.

While I understand the advantages of the flight, my husband hates to fly...just getting him to Europe on a plane is difficult, and convincing him to get on those tightly packed, discount European airlines is going to be a non-starter.

Once we've zeroed in on an apartment, I will see about late check in.

Staying a night in Avignon is a possibility, but most rentals are Sat-Sat, so that could be impractical, unless we find one okay with 6 nights.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 02:48 AM

Just make absolutely sure the car rental office is open on Saturday evening (and Sunday, for that matter).

You cannot assume that they will be.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 06:07 AM

An evening arrival via TGV might well find the car rental agencies closed. To be clear, TGV trains have their own station on the edge of Avignon while local trains arrive at the old station in town.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

amazingly, the Hertz office would be open late enough on a Sunday....but closes about 10 minutes too early on Saturday

Avis, on the other hand, is open till 10:30PM, so that should work. Europcar says they are open, but have an * "extra charges may apply"

so probably I can work out the rental car if we go that route. but I lean more and more to finding a way to arrive earlier. Or maybe staying the night in Avignon. One of those should work for me.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

interesting...when i searched using Nimes as an endpoint instead of Avignon, I got a direct train in the morning, leaves at 8:25, arrives just before noon, and is at the lower price point. That may well be the answer! Now off to look at rental cars in Nimes instead of Avignon...
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 10:31 AM

Nimes is bigger than Avignon so cars should be no problem. And check out Rome's amazing Roman relics like a stadium. Nimes has a unique look and feel - broad tree-lined boulevards and intimate tiny lanes in the town center. Often overlooked IME by so many gems in this compact area.
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, actually the Avis in Nimes has a cheaper price on a mid-size automatic than I've seen in Avignon by almost $200, so this could be a double win for me. the drive to St Remy seems similar as well.

And I love Roman ruins, so checking those on the way out of town would be good too. thanks for the tip.
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 11:41 AM

When you read an airline review like this http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...g-airlines.cfm it is probably to your advantage that you husband hates to fly when there is an alternative
Old Jul 16th, 2015, 11:14 AM

And I love Roman ruins, so checking those on the way out of town would be good too. thanks for the tip.>

Nimes may have the best IME but Arles has a nice Roman Theatre and there is of course the famous Roman aqueduct - the Pont du Gard well west of Avignon.

With a car also a nice drive is into the fabled Camargue - stop at a Mas offering horse rides into the wilderness to see the fabled wild horses and flamingos of the Camargue - not far from St-Remy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -