Search

Kauai trip report

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2015, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai trip report

As always, got a lot of great tips here and wanted to post a report on our trip to Hawaii.

We originally planned the trip to Hawaii since our triathlon club was doing the Hawaii 70.3 as a team race. This race is held on the Big Island. I debated a little as to whether we spend all our time there or go to Kauai which I've always wanted to see and the latter won.

We flew from DFW to Honululu and after a longish layover flew into Kona on Thursday, May 28th. We stayed in a condo at the Waikoloa beach villas, which was close to all the race stuff. The next day went by the doing all the race stuff picking up bikes, checking in bikes etc. Next day was the race won't go into details - the swim is at Hapuna beach and was pretty amazing the 56 mile bike oes out to Mauni Lani and then U turn and all the way upto Hawi and then back down into the Fairmont Mauna Lani. Some pretty terrific views coming down. The run is over the golf course and some very dreary lava fields, and it was fairly hot and miserable. That done we got on to thevacation part.

Next afternoon we flew into Lihue via Hawaiian airlines. Reached Kauai late afternoon and drove down to Princeville. We stayed in a condo at Pali ke Kua. The unit is in desperate need of TLC and had no a/c but the views made up for it. It did however have wifi and a phone which was nice since AT&T coverage there is non-existent. There is a path down to the beach which we checked out. Then ate at the Hanalei Dolphin. Sat outside so it was apps and sushi only and drinks of course. Liked the stuff, fresh and good. Bit pricey though.

Next morning we did a short run to check out the area, we also found the little path down to the hideaway beach which was pretty neat. Then we checked out the other public beach near the ST. Regis and then ran back to our condo madly in love with the beauty of the place. That morning we did a helicopter ride, and well it was every bit as stunning as we heard. The Napali coast is just jaw droppingly, breathtakingly beautiful. Later we decided to check out the farmers market in Koloa and it was fun. First of all the opening is done with some fanfare, well okay one guy providing as funny opening spiel. You wait in line till he blows the whistle then in we all go. Nice fruit and veggies collection, some of the fruit like pineapples were surprisingly expensive. The mangoes in Hawaii are really good, comparable to good quality mangoes from India, I can never resist so we bought a few. Also tried some mountain apple(I think) and some bananas. We also bought some veggies because they looked so good. Then back home, we learnt the Kohio highway was closed because of some crash. Well boo, so we decided to head into Kapaa and check out the food trucks. Had lunch at Al Pastor, kick ass ahi tacos for me, shrimp for my husband. We also got some fresh coconut juice at a stand there. By the time the wreck was cleared it was 5 pm, we had a taste of what happens when there is only one main road in a place!
Old Jun 7th, 2015, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

The next day we did a Kayak tour with Alii kayaks down the Wailua rivers and then a hike to the falls. This was fun, and happily after some initial bickering my husband and I got along fine for the rest of the kayaking! Phew! The tour was really fun and relaxing. Lunch by a waterfall is always a neat thing for us city dwellers. Later that evening we headed in to Popu and had dinner at Merriman's Fish house. The food and drinks were amazing. My husband had the specil and I had the Mahi Mahi with kale and gnocchi, that gnocchi was light enough to fly off, plate licking good. Followed it up with their malasadas. oink.

Day three was a drive to Waimea Canyon. This is stunning and stands out in contrast to the green verdant island. We hiked most of the Awa Awapuhi trail, the Nuolo trail was closed. Then headed back up to the Kalalau overlook and the lookout further up. Stunning views of the Napali coast once the clouds cleared.On the way back we stopped to check out Spouting horn. We took our slightly stinky selves to Tortilla Republic in Poipu. They had a fried Brussels sprouts appetizer that I am still drooling about.The rest of the food was good, but the app was the highlight for sure.
Old Jun 7th, 2015, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

The following day we had planned to hike the Kalalau trail to Hanakapai beach and then the falls. So we picked up some sandwiches from Foodland got an early start. This trail is just stunning as far as views go. The beach was pretty nice and secluded, the hike to the waterfall involved some scrambling and several water crossings but was a ton of fun. And then to see the 300 foot waterfall, pretty neat. Another lunch by the waterfall. :+ Back to the beach we hung out there for a bit before hiking back up. We spent some time at the Haena beach which is also lovely. Dinner at Hideaways pub which is on;y the Pali Ke Kua grounds.

Next morning was the Napali catamaran tour. We were lucky and it was a calm beautiful day, we were able to go into caves, under some waterfalls. We saw several spinner dolphins which was pretty awesome. The tour was really fun and well worth it. And the views of course, just simply stunning. The snorkeling was nice we saw turtles and some fish, but nothing spectacular. Weheaded back/ Since ti was our last day, we took a nap and then packed. We had also found out about the Haea(Ke'e beach) to Hanalei 8 mile run and decided to run it, can't beat that view, so we went up to Hanalei pier to register for the race, hun out the the pier for a bit, that is also beautiful with the mountains in the back. Dinner again at the Hanalei Dolphin.

Next morning was the race. For the first time they had shut down traffic on that road, so we had it to ourselves. How awesome is that.Very nicely done race, and we both loved every minute. Post race, we checked out headed to the Kileaua lighthouse and then to Lihue and onto Kona to catch our flight back to DFW. (Flights was oor planning on my part) As it tuned out we had a lot of time in Kona and took a taxi into Kona onto Ali'i drive, which as a triathlete is a little bit of a mecca for me.Had dinner there and headed back, sad to leave but having enjoyed every minute.

That is it. Sorry for the long report, but it is just a fabulous destination.
Old Jun 7th, 2015, 08:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the report. We need to go back!
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 08:53 AM

Great report, thanks (and I can't believe you ran an 8-mile race right after a triathlon)!
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

sf7307, thanks. The 70.3 was all done at an easy pace and since my husband and I are runners, we could not pass up the opportunity of racing in such a beautiful setting. It really was one of the highlights of our vacation.
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Kal

The Haena to Hanalei 8 Mile Run/walk is awesome We did it last year and I think indie will agree, it's pretty friggin' dark at the end of the road that early in the morning.

Only thing you could hear out there were the

Goosbumples time watching the sunrise over P'ville from the route, yah?

The people at the Hanalei Canoe Club are also just as awesome.
And I don't care how easy of a pace you did in the 70.3 miler, to go up those hills and encounter the 4, "OF" turns before going downhill is VERY admirable.
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Kal, the run started later than the walk (Which was 6:30), so we were there 6 ish and it was light out, thank goodness. Yes those hills were rough. "OF" turns LOL yes perfect description

I agree the people at the Canoe club are awesome, and that is just a really well run race. Would definitely recommend.
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 06:51 AM
Kal

I forgot that Mrs Kal gave me "head start".
She was a trooper to go out that early with me and hang out.
It was funny to see all the cell phones being used as flashlights in the restroom lines.

We were going to stay for the pancake b'fast but the line was too long and we were moving from the P'ville Condo on down to our regular hotel in Kapaa...and the Bloody Marys at Oly Cafe were calling us.

205 more days.....
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Same here on the pancake breakfast, we had to check out of our condo and did not stay for the pancake breakfast, we did et a dip in the ocean though. Some 206 more days before you go back? Locky you
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 06:37 PM
Kal

Time to start fighting Hawaiian Air for seats!
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 08:13 PM

I'm completely exhausted just from reading your report! ;-)
You're obviously much younger and better fit than me! Good on you!

So glad you enjoyed Kauai. I'm in Princeville right now and no matter how many times I return, the beauty never stops amazing me.
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 09:13 PM

Songdoc. I haven't seen anything from you in so long, good to see your name......waiting for some good writings from you.