Family friendly weekend get away not far from Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family that includes our married children and 3 little boys ages 5, 2/12 and 9 months would like a place to stay for the weekend that would be close to Chicago ( driving distance). We are looking at St. Joesph, Michigan and Lake Geneva, WI. We need separate bedrooms for 2 brothers and a suite for one family and a room for us..Suggestions are welcome.. Any suggestions for any other places? Preferably a place with a beach. natjgc
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 05:25 PM

I would check VRBO. They have lake shore listings in the Lake Geneva area. Getting a whole house might be cheaper than several hotel rooms.
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 07:24 AM

I don't know if this place would be right for your size needs, but I always regretted that I didn't hear about it until after my kids were grown and unlikely to vacation with us. Maybe when there are grandkids!

http://blueharborresort.com/
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 07:25 AM

Sorry, meant to say it's in Sheboygan on Lake Michigan.
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 12:10 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Look at Harbor Country, SW Michigan, right above Indiana line. Nice towns, sand dunes. We used to go over to New Buffalo from Chicago for the day. www.harborcountry.org
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 03:59 AM

"Preferably a place with a beach."

Lakefront (or somewhat close/nearby) houses normally rent for the week - for thousands of dollars. It certainly won't be cheap. How much are you planning on spending?

You need to make sure whichever beach you choose has a lifeguard on duty - or it probably will be posted "no swimming". Rip current dangers in Lake Michigan, you know - particularly the Indiana and Michigan sides. You can see on the various websites (i.e., New Buffalo, Indiana Dunes, etc.) where they give you information on how to handle that type of emergency.

You are probably looking too late in the year for the best choices - the best places were probably booked up last fall into early winter.

That being said, have you looked at an inland lake, such as Lake Wawasee in Indiana - perhaps the Syracuse area? Again, same issues with expense and probably not availability due to your late date planning.
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 06:01 AM

Wisconsin Dells.
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 06:05 AM

More specifically, look for lodging on Lake Delton. You will be close enough to the Dells for easy trips into town but still able to get away from the hordes of tourists when you want to relax.