Search

Your Feedback for 9 days Hawaii Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your Feedback for 9 days Hawaii Itinerary

Aloha Folks
My wife and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary and I'm planning a surprise Hawaii getaway for her (airfare, lodging and car rental booked). The plan is to spend 9 days in Hawaii split between Oahu and BI (please don't frown yet... I know is going to be tight and challenging =)).

Some background / additional info:
We are in our early 30s (traveling just the 2 of us of course). We love the beach and our focus will be to visit the best beaches spots on both Island (thus the lack of historical/ cultural sights).
We are arriving HNL spend 4 days and then 4.5 days in BI (again, i understand is just not enough time but tickets are already purchased and we need to play with the time we have). Also we are foodies and enjoy local gems, so your suggestions there are also much appreciated.

Without further adieu, here is the plan for May 2015 in Oahu:

May 4
AM: Travel to HNL
PM: Pickup car / Leonards' Malasadas & DH Market & Grill / Leave luggage / Waikiki beach / Dinner @ House w/o a key / Walk in Kalakaua

AM BF @ Cinnamon's / Lanikai Pillbox hike / Lanikai beach
PM: Lunch @ ??? / Kailua beach / Dinner @ Uahi Island grill

AM: BF @Cafe Haleiwa / Laniakea beach / Lunch @Dat Cajun
PM: Snorkeling Waimea Bay and/or Sharks Cove / Sunset beach / Dinner @Opal Thai

AM: Hanauma bay (early) / BF @Koa Pancake / Waimanalo Beach
PM: Maitai Catamaran @ 3pm / Downtown - Chinatown / Dinner

AM: Travel to the BI early / Pickup rental / Drop bags
PM: Lunch / Manini'owali (Kua) Beach / Dinner @Napua (sunset)

AM: Kauna'oa (early)
PM: Hapuna Beach / Mauna Kea summit

AM: BK @???? / Waialea Bay / Makaiwa
PM: Pololu Valley

AM: Check out early / drive towards Volcano / Waimea / Drop bags
PM: VNP until night (Crater Rim / Jaggar / Kilauea) / Dinner @Kilauea

AM: VNP / Check out / drive to Hilo
PM: Akaka falls / Flight back late afternoon

This is the plan so far. Please share your comments/feedback/concerns at least to say I'm crazy =)
Thanks in advance for your help
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 01:14 PM

Where are you staying on the Big Island? I would eat at Napua the day you are snorkeling at Makaiwa. No need to go there twice.

You can switch Kuana'oa and Hapuna if you don't get into Kuana'oa first thing in the morning (get there by 8:30).

You don't have The Beach Tree or Ulu Grille on your list. Two of my favorites. Since you will be at Kua anyway on your first day, I would eat at one of those then and save Napua for your Makaiwa day.

Maybe lunch at Merrimans or Village Burger in Waimea on your way to Volcano. Although if it is a Wednesday or Saturday, hit the Farmer's market in Waimea and eat there. Eat somewhere in Hawi on your Polulu Valley day or at the Da Fish House in Kawaihee

If you are flying out of Kona, give yourself plenty of time to get across the island. We have gotten stuck before.

Have a great trip.
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 01:20 PM

I've got nothing to add, except to say I think it's awesome you're planning this surprise anniversary trip for your wife. Good man!

Hawaii is awesome. I don't think you can have a bad time there, if you try! Have fun.
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 01:42 PM

For the BI, I'd skip Waimea (for the sake of time), and take Daniel K. Inouye Highway (Saddle Road) right to Hilo and Volcano; there's a lot to see in the park before viewing the glow at night and dinner.
AFter check out, if you are in Hilo at lunchtime, The Hilo Bay Cafe is in a wonderful setting with terrific views (and very good food).
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot taitai... great tip on Napua after Makaiwa, I understand we can have a great romantic sunset over there so will try to make it in the afternoon. Also, thanks for the food options near VNP. We are staying. We are staying near Kona airport for the first part of the BI trip (not the best place I know, since we are seeking for the beach, but affordable).
We are flying out of Hilo so shouldn't worry too much about traffic.

Tabernash2, thanks a lot for the encouragement, it is appreciated. I've been planning this for quite some time now. I know i wont be able to make to the "T" but will definitely try.
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 05:20 AM

Some places to try (foodie-wise):

Oahu:
If you like seafood/poke, Ono Seafoods is definitely worth a stop. It's near Leonard's Bakery.
Koko head cafe has great breakfast brunches in Kaimuki.
In Kailua, maybe Prima (italian) or Boots and Kimo (local and american). Although after breakfast at Cinnamon's Boots and Kimos may be very similar.
Pig and the Lady is a very popular fusian/vietnamese/street food place.
There are many shrimp/food trucks on the North shore which are quite good.
Side Street Inn - great food but hard with two people since it's shared plates and portions are huge.
Alan Wong's is our favorite high end dinner.

Big Island:
We liked Big Island Grill (Kona), Hawaiian Style Cafe (Waimea), there's a local place called JJs....somewhere when driving down south (maybe after captain cook?), also Managa Motel in captain cook has the best pork chops and cheap eats, Teshima's for homestyle Japanese, Cafe 100 in Hilo for cheap take-out, Punalu'u Bakery - try their taro bread, Tex Drive-In for malasadas and local eats.

Enjoy your trip and happy anniversary!
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 07:52 AM

"..Lunch / Manini'owali (Kua) Beach.."

Picnic lunch, I presume, as there's no restaurant there. LOVE that beach though.

Some logistics re Makaiwa and Napua... The gate to the parking lot for Napua and Makaiwa Bay doesn't open until 4:00pm, but those staying in the Mauna Lani Resort property have access keys, so maybe you can sweet talk someone. Otherwise you'll have to park in the public access lot, which is about 3/4-mile from the beach and restaurant. Nice walk across the lava beds of an historical preserve and past ancient fish ponds, but not much fun if you're lugging snorkel and other beach gear.

Bamboo would be a good choice in Hawi before/after Pololu Valley.

You had me worried when I read, "...celebrating our 10 year anniversary and...I know is going to be tight and challenging." Like you're setting yourself up to fail. But it appears you've done a lot of good research, and thought things out well.

Congrats and have fun!
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

@Tifa2276 - Thanks a lot for your eats suggestions!!!. We have never tried Poke so looking forward for it at Ono. I too checked out Boot and Kimos but read that has become a popular bus tour stop so decided for Cinnamon's instead. I also liked Alan Wong's menu but for the more or less high end dinner we leaned towards House w/o a Key due to nice sunset views.

@FaceInTheCrowd thanks a lot for your positive comments, definitely this itinerary didn't came out of the blue and I have done my homework for the most part.
Your watchout about Makaiwa is much appreciated... i did read about the 3/4 mile walk from parking lot and the need to arrive early. We do like to walk though so not much of an issue but we'll see.
Bamboo is now in our list for Dinner after Pololu =)
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 05:39 PM

House without a key is wonderful...even if it's just for a sunset maitai with beautiful views, hula dancers and wonderful music. Enjoy your trip!