Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

8 nights in Dubai...need advice regarding Dubai/Petra combo.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2015, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plan:

We have booked 8 nights in Dubai and would like to use part of that time to explore outside the UAE. Our top choice is Petra, but we need counsel from someone who knows the ins and outs of that add-on.

Our research so far, through phone conversations with Emirates Airlines, has informed us that we can get an Arabian Airpass from Dubai to Amman for a very reasonable price. But it looks like awe would then need to go by bus or use private driver to Petra...about an 11 hour drive? Yuck on the 11 hours!

Suggestions? We have looked into Airpass to Istanbul and Cairo as well, but Petra seems the most interesting. We arrive in Dubai Dec. 1, returning Dec. 9. We are looking to spend the weekend in another location, probably Dec. 4-7, 3 nights.

With the 11 hour drive, is Petra out if the question? We can extend our trip at a cost of $200 each if necessary. Worth it?
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 02:22 AM

Hi, I am not super experienced on travel in Jordan, but live in Dubai and did a 6 day trip to Jordan about 4 years ago independently with my husband, just booking hotels via trip advisor.

Firstly, I do not remember it being 11 hours from Amman to Petra, but maybe. We hired a taxi. Can't remember how much, maybe about USD50 for the day for the car between us??? If the journey was long, then we stopped enough for it not to feel that bad. It is a days drive though. On the way down I remember stopping to see some amazing views, and had a look around Karak castle, so that broke the day up....don't remember the trip back! Do not remember it being a horror!

We did not stay in Amman, except for last night before flight back. We stayed in Madaba...just because it was closer to Dead Sea and related sites, and is a small town that you can walk around...very local. Has a famous mosaic map! The trip to the religious sites round there was interesting, and we aren't religious at all. Can be done In 1 day.
Dead Sea is a must, but might be cold in December...
But do not go into Israel on any tours...you will not be allowed back into Dubai if you have an Israeli stamp in your passport.

Petra will be cold in December I think...especially if you go in early before the crowds. We went in height of summer, and it was busy then, let alone when the weather is more pleasant. If you are happy to do long walks there are enough different ones for a 2 day pass, don't miss out going to the sacrifice area or the Monastery/Treasury...whichever is the one you have to walk a long way too...

I have also been to Cairo and Istanbul, Istanbul is at least 4 hours from Dubai, much further than Amman. Personally think Cairo/Luxor and Jordan were more amazing, but Istanbul is nice.

Hope that helps. You have lots of time to investigate and organise. Enjoy!
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 03:54 AM

To get to Petra, you have the choice of flying into Amman or Aqaba. From Amman to Petra is about 3-4 hours by taxi and from Aqaba to Petra is about half that time. Amman to Petra is about USD 100.
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 05:37 PM

I visited Petra in Dec and found the weather lovely. But I suppose if you are accustomed to Dubai temps, it might feel cold to you. Make sure you schedule at least two or three full days in Petra.
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 09:10 AM

While I've flown Emirates often to Africa, no side-trip. However, if price for Air Pass is competitive know that the AMM airport is outside the city, were we had arranged on our way to Cairo a stop thru Jordanian Tourist Bureau (I'm sure there are other tour outfitters), who provided driver/vehicle to Petra - drive time was maybe 4/hrs (if that) and we didn't stop at other sites along the way. Once at Petra we picked-up a Petra guide for our visit... we stayed only 1/day. Departed late afternoon for nearby lunch and return drive to AMM arriving at dark (about 9pm). Next day we did sightseeing in AMM and areas/temples/ruins north of AMM before onto CAI.

December weather - well, it is winter and it wouldn't surprise for some snow, but who knows? It might be lovely. Weather is weather.

To me it makes no sense to fly DBX to AMM and then flight to Aqaba and then another 4/hrs drive north to Petra. Who knows how long you have to wait for a flight connection when you can already be on your way south if skipped the Aqaba flight. We also skipped Wadi Rum... not interested in sleeping in tent in the desert at night... cold!

The road south from AMM to Petra is good black tarmac (believe called Kings Hway) so easy enough. You can stop at sites along the way and though we didn't besides these were off on a different road.

Then once at Petra, depending on # of days your have, I'd spend 1=2/nt at nearby hotel... believe it's either the Movenpick or Kempinski (someone advise if I'm in error as it's been quite a number of years) right outside the Petra entry site. Staying o/n you can visit Petra at night and again first morning next... then head north or sightsee within the area.