Rome with a two-year old: Last-minute questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. My husband and I are about to leave for three weeks in Italy with our two-year-old son. We have an apartment in Rome near Piazza Del Popolo for the first week.

Most importantly: We're planning to bring enough diapers for our flight plus a day or two in case of delays, so we'll need to buy some pretty soon after we arrive in Rome. Our apartment is near the east side of Piazza del Popolo. Where can we buy diapers near there? He currently wears Pampers size 5 - any tips on what brand/ size to buy would be appreciated, as I assume they will have different brands.

If anyone has restaurant recommendations near the apartment, I'd love to hear them. Our son is pretty well-behaved, but he is still two, so we're looking for friendly family trattorias or good delis (or bakeries, for breakfast!) rather than Michelin stars.

Lastly, we're trying to avoid making many concrete plans (which is kind of contrary to my nature!) but my husband has said that he'd like to go inside the Colosseum. I know we can buy tickets at the Palatine Hill, but are there any days or times that might be best for us terms of minimizing the time we spend in line?

Thanks!
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 01:19 PM

What time of year are yous going - in less than peak season the wait to get into the Colosseum can be quite short IME - you can also pay for a guided tour at the ticket window or buy from touts out front.
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 01:50 PM

There is a Di per Di supermarket on Via Vittoria (close to Via del Babuino) and a Punto supermarket on the same street (Ara Pacis end) - both are just off Via del Corso which runs toward Piazza del Popolo. The apartment owners/agency will be able to advise you if there is a smaller grocery store nearby. Diaper in Italian is 'pannolino'.

Your son will be welcome everywhere but it may not be easy to get a high chair - although being two he may not need one any more. Visit Via Margutta which is near Piazza del Popolo. There is a nice restaurant there (sorry can't remember its name) but its a buffet style and has great food. Last time I was there it was full of locals and the price was good. It's on the Piazza del Popolo end of the street. Via Margutta is very beautiful and worth a visit in itself.

As for the Colosseum please pre-book tickets using the coopculture website as it will save you getting stuck in lines. Even the Palatine ticket office can have long lines and it would be awful to be stuck in a line with your little boy.

http://www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 02:28 PM

They have the Pampers brand here; I don't know if it's exactly the same, or what the sizes are.
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 06:34 AM

The first time we took our sons to Italy they were 7 and 5 years old, respectively. We planned to do something in the morning and something in the afternoon and then returned to the hotel for some down time. We planned our touring around their schedule and not ours. This proved to be a cogent strategy and made our travel experience more enjoyable.

We also found that having them eat pizza, pasta, and veal were easier because they recognized them. A problem would arise when we tried things like ordering a hot dog in Italy. They came with mozzarella and the ketchup wasn't Heinz. Just sayin'.

Buon viaggio,
'.