Search

Day trip to Paracas

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip to Paracas

My friend and I are planning a Peru trip for late April. I would like to see the sea lions/penguins etc.
Google gives several companies which do day trips from Lima (leaving around 4/5 am). Mystery Peru, Lima Cabs, Colca Tours, ranging from $180-230 pp. this appeals to me, because I feel like we're already doing enough moving around in 2 weeks (planning Lima, Cusco, Aguascalientes Calientes, Puno, Arequipa )
Has anyone had experience with one of these day trips?
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 10:56 AM

I took the Cruz del Sur bus (there is one that leaves at 3:30 AM and another at 3:45 am, getting you in to the Paracas bus station at about 7-7:30 am. I used the company that is based in the Cruz del Sur station, "The Zarcillo Connection". They were pretty good, new boat, bilingual guide.

The boat tours leave in the morning and are done about 10:30 am=ish.

You can either come back after lunch or continue on and take the afternoon tours to the Paracas peninsula, where you can have lunch at a fisherman's village. Recommended if you like seafood!

I think the price quoted to you must be by private vehicle, given the prices sound outrageous for a bus transfer.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 11:42 AM

I'd do what mlgb did, but that would be a very long day, especially if you went to the Paracas Peninsula after the boat to the Ballestas!! Eight hours bus Lima/Paracas/Lima alone. But it would be much less expensive--around $40 pp round trip.

Instead, I'd take the bus down the day before (Cruz del Sur shows one leaving around 1:30 that would get you there around 5:00 p.m.) Buy your tickets to the Ballestas when you arrive and then stay overnite--a pretty fancy hotel would be around $200 for both of you. Then take the bus back late the next day. Bus would cost around $40 total and the buses are very comfortable.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 02:28 PM

Or you can do what I did,take the morning bus (either 6:40 or 7am) which arrives in time for the Paracas peninsula tour, then spend the night and leave after the boat tour the next day. If you do this, you should be able to catch the return at 11:55 am which gets you to Lima at 4 pm.