Planning 14 days in Turkey

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My plane tickets are booked for mid-September and I have reservations for the first 9 nights.

Istanbul 4 nights
Cappadocia 3 nights
Ephesus (Sirince) 2 nights

This is where I'm stuck...

??? 3 nights
Istanbul 2 nights

We would really like some relaxing time by the water, and I originally thought we'd spend a few days in Kas, but I just can't figure it out and doesn't seem to be an easy three day trip. So I'm now considering taking a ferry to Rhodes for 3 nights and flying back to Istanbul for our final nights. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 07:17 AM

You tell us that you booked flights from Istanbul to Nevsehir/Kayseri - Izmir and that your final destination in Turkey is Istanbul.
In my eyes, it wouldn't make any sense to backtrack from Izmir/Efes to the South if your final destination lies in the North.
As to the "ferry to Rhodes" I just wonder where you would board it.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

I've only booked my international flight, not flights within Turkey. I'm considering taking a bus to Marmaris to catch the ferry.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 10:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want to get to Rhodes just for the beach, I suggest that you continue to Datca peninsula to Bozburun or Hayit Buku past Marmaris, taking a minibus from Marmaris. You can then fly back to istanbul from dalaman airport.
As far as I know, there are no direct flights from Rhodes to istanbul and the Athens connection could take a whole day.

An easier Greek Island option is to take ferry to Samos from Kusadasi, near Ephesus, saving you long traveling time.

Similarly, if you rent a car at ephesus, you can pick any number of excellent resort areas to the Nort and South of Kusadasi while also visiting interesting historical sights like priene, Didyma, etc./
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great suggestions oc!! I googled Bozburun and it looks like the type of place we would enjoy. I'm off to research the rest.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 04:27 PM
kja

If you can, it might be worth considering going straight to Cappadocia, so you don't have to "waste" time getting into and out of Istanbul twice,

FWIW, I spent 4 days in Cappadocia and did not see everything that I wanted to see there.

I like otherchelebi's idea of visiting one of the waterfront areas near Kusadasi.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 05:39 AM

Hi there,
i recommend a self drive tour down to south west coast since Rhodes dont have direct flights to Istanbul neither Kos but only Mykonos. In between Bodrum and Dalaman airports, you are able to visit Dalyan, Caunos, Kayakoy, oludeniz and patara. daily boat tours are fun to valley of the butterflies etc...
feel free to ask help,
Kadir
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the additional suggestions and advice!

I agree that it makes sense to go straight to Cappadocia, but I know I won't feel like getting on another flight that day.

Can you recommend any specific waterfront areas near Kusadasi?
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 04:11 AM

Marmaris is a very nice destination and it's around 200 km from Ephesus
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 12:42 PM

Marmaris is fine if you like noisy overrun places with rather high prices
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
If you want something peaceful, look at Cirali. An easy 1 1/2 hour drive from Antalya which is connected by air to most airports in Turkey. See my trip report & others for details.

Ian
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 06:53 AM

"Can you recommend any specific waterfront areas near Kusadasi?"

There are endless sandy beaches south and north of Kusadasi.
May be you have a look at the maps o booking.com
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 08:02 PM

wtm, I have another idea: I stayed in Bodrum and drove (round-trip, same day) to Ephesus. It was a lovely drive with very little traffic and lots of places to stop for breaks, lunch, etc. It was perhaps three hours each way, but the shortest three hours I've ever spent with all the beautiful views.

We stayed at Ephesus for about 3 hours-- great place, but 3 hours was enough time for us (especially under the hot May sun.) So it would depend how much time you would need based on your interest level.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. Ian I have looked at your trip report several times and appreciate all the information. krgystn how did you spend your time in Bodrum?
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 10:23 AM

Wtm003,

Usually I advise people to go straight to their furtherest destination and put all time in their departure city at the end, so I did go on to Cappadocia, and would not do it again. We had about a 3 hour layover, not enough time to do anything except get more exhausted waiting around the airport. We realized after we did it, it would have made a lot more sense to get into Istanbul and have a short nap and nice walk, a great dinner and get oriented to the city.

So, this is the one exception, IME. Splitting your time in Istanbul is good. Also, you can stay in different parts of the city. We got to stay in only one and wished we could have experienced two different areas.

Ephesus is one of the most beautiful archeological sites anywhere. Interesting and stunning. Take water, sunscreen and a hat.

Are you doing the hot air balloon flight in Cappadocia? That was one of my favorite travel experiences.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sassafrass. I don't like heights so most likely no balloon flight for me. I'm sure it is beautiful though.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 03:01 PM

Oh, Wtm003,

I have real difficulty myself with being in tall buildings and bridges, and feel positively ill at the top of cliffs and on mountain roads, which I avoid. A helicopter makes me jittery.

To be honest, I tried not to look directly down just in case, but the balloon flight was completely different. You hardly feel any movement. DH was worried I would freak out. Instead, it was so magical, I wanted to go right back up as soon as we landed.

You know yourself, but if you could manage it, it is spectacular.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 08:40 PM

wtm, I did a Mediterranean trip starting in Antalya and stopped in a few places for 2 or 3 nights (including Kas and Fathieye), ending in Bodrum. From Bodrum dropped the rental car and flew to Istanbul for 5 nights, then flew home. In Bodrum, enjoyed the first afternoon walking around the town, second day to Ephesus, third day castle, beach and just hanging out. Great trip!
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Good to know and glad you enjoyed the balloon flight so much Sassafrass.

That sounds like a great trip krgystn and a good itinerary for hopefully my next trip.