Need advice for visiting Oahu.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have spent most of our Hawaii trips on Maui. Is there an area on Oahu that is similar to the choice of condos, beaches, variety of snorkeling, beachfront walkways etc that is similar to the Kihei-Wailea and Ka'anapali-Kapalua areas on Maui? Thank you for any replies. Brad
Old Nov 16th, 2014, 09:14 AM

I've never been able to find a comparable unit to our Maui Kamaole condo on Oahu. We like low-rise, low-density, and newer construction. We visit in winter, so are looking along the southern shore. Maybe there's more variety north? Maybe at higher rates?

Last time we stayed Oahu we stayed at the Ilikai -- big rooms
Old Nov 19th, 2014, 12:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No, there's no tourist area on Oahu similar to what you describe on Maui. Most people stay in Waikiki/Honolulu.
Old Nov 19th, 2014, 04:23 PM

The only place I can think of that's similar to Wailea is Ko Olina in that they're both planned resort areas but it's still developing. Right now there's a high end condo complex, a Marriott timeshare, Disney's Aulani and the JW Ihilani which will close next year for renovations and be rebranded as a Four Seasons when it re-opens at the end of next year. There's a beach walkway that connects the four lagoons and there are plans to build more condos and two empty lots for future resorts. Dining is a bit limited though getting better.
Old Nov 20th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. The Ko Olina area looks interesting. Just bought the Oahu Revealed guidebook and there's so much we haven't seen from our two brief visits. Our decision will be if we want to just relax and snorkel etc. then back to Napili on Maui or if we want to drive and see a variety of sights, say, every other day then Oahu would be great. When I'm asked which of the four main islands is the best, I reply "they're all different and they're all great". Mahalo.