Search

NEW ZEALAND

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEW ZEALAND

We re considering a trip to New Zealand (1st choice) and Australia next May 2015. Our plan is to allot 3 weeks to the trip (can be longer but 3 is preferred).

From the standpoint of NZ, how long would one suggest we allocate to NZ and how would the time best be allocated between the northern island and the southern ?? We are into wines, outdoor sights, food. Used to independent travel as opposed to group tours.

Appreciate insight.
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 01:11 PM

We spent 6 weeks driving around NZ (both islands) and still didn't see everything but did see/do a lot. We'd go back in a heart beat! Spent half our time in the north island and half on the southern island. We spent 2 to 4 nights in each location and drove no more than 3 to 4 hours to reach the next destination (stopping to see other "sights along the way"). We started in Auckland, made our way to Wellington, flew between Wellington & Nelson, then drove to Christchurch and flew to Queenstown where we drove around the southern end of the south island. Last day we flew back to Auckland to fly back home.

We also did three weeks in Australia - it's a hugh country and that was not nearly enough time to see all we wanted to see.

My point, with just 3 weeks stay allotted for the trip you should just stay in one country.

Both are unique in their own way. Choose one and enjoy it!
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 01:16 PM

I also meant to say, of all the trips we've made in the last 30 years (all over the world) - the trip to New Zealand was by far the best one ever.
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 01:33 PM

Having lived in Australia for several years and having visited NZ a number of times, I totally agree with the advice that you should spend those 3 weeks in either Australia or NZ--don't try to visit them both.

For 3 weeks in NZ, I would recommend spending 1 week on the North Island and 2 weeks on the South Island.

For 3 weeks in Australia, I would recommend you choose no more than 4 destinations.

I know a lot of people try to visit both Australia and NZ in 3 weeks and if you decide to do this (despite the advice from me and RoamsAround), then allocate 1 week to one of the New Zealand Islands (either North or South) and 2 weeks to Australia. For those 2 weeks in Australia, limit yourself to 3 destinations.
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 03:23 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
<From the standpoint of NZ, how long would one suggest we allocate to NZ<

Two weeks South Island, one week North, or in a perfect world, all three South Island!
Old Sep 26th, 2014, 04:59 AM

If you only have 3 weeks I'd suggest concentrating on the SI. We spent over 4 weeks touring the South Island and still didn't have time to see everything. Our route was counter-clockwise starting in Christchurch, west on the TranzAlpine train with a stop at the Wilderness Lodge in Arthurs Pass, down the west coast to Fox Glacier, Te Anau and Doubtful Sound, on to Queenstown and Wanaka, back up the east coast to Kaikoura and all the way to Nelson, and then back to CC, with lots of stops in between along the way. While we had a few "one night stands" we tried to base ourselves for at least 2 or 3 nights in each place. A friend who lived in NZ suggested a book titled "Driving Scenic New Zealand." It took us to some interesting stops we would have missed otherwise. Enjoy!!