Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

15-18 day in italy! the most exciting planning phase begins now!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

We have decided to visit Italy next summer (mid june, 2015), and I am super excited! My kids will be 5 and 9 at that time - old enough that I don't have carry diapers and not worry about afternoon naps, but not that old that we can do museums all day

High level thinking so far:
- fly into rome. spend 3-5 days there. rent a car on last day.
- spend 5-7 days in tuscany. stay put in a central location and do day trips to all the pretty towns.
- I am not sure whether to add venice for last 4-5 days or go to coast.

Kids are good with couple of hours of hiking, love ocean, cafes. I know it will be impossible to avoid crowds, but if there are other options with lesser crowds - I am willing to save vanice for another time.

Also, when would be a good time to book airline tickets and hotels?

Many thanks,
m
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 11:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
June should be lower crowds than August. The crtical issue for Venice is the fat ships that bring their fat customers.

Venice is on the coast and you could stay actually on the coastal strip (though I wouldn't).

Generally hotels about 3 months out, but use someone like booking.com and look for the free cancellation dates or perhaps the zero cancellation prices and swallow the loss if you have to cancel. Once you've got the booking price just check their website to see if they have a deal.

For Tuscany I'd look at one of the smaller towns to stay in or indeed an agritourismo (I'm sure my spelling is wrong but google will sort it out) for a longer period these are good value, often with a pool

High level it looks good.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 04:08 AM

You might want to go to the Lakes instead of Venice. Lake Garda esp has a lot of things for kids. Not sure if kids in europe are in or out of school in June - but might be worth a look.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 05:14 AM

Just a general note about Europe with kids. We traveled with a nine and almost 16-year old some years ago over several countries. We found it's good with teens to give them mini breaks from all the travel and sightseeing every three days or so, such as letting them eat pizza in the room while you and spouse go out for a nice dinner, or letting them sleep in one day while you have a leisurely breakfast downstairs or go out for a bit. They also like a drive through the country stopping in little village markets to get stuff for a picnic, or going to festivals. My girls are not very religious, but loved watching costumed parades of people carrying statues of the Virgin Mary on the feast of the Assumption, August 15, a provincial holiday in Bavaria, where we were vacationing at one point of our trip. Google "festivals in Italy" before you go... we're planning on taking in a medieval fest in Assisi in late April.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 05:16 AM

Sorry! Just noted your kids are five and nine! But they do like festivals and markets at any age! Have a great time!
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 05:25 AM

Good for you---that sounds quite doable.

Here are some places to consider in Tuscany. Location is key, so read your guide books before picking a location.

BOB’S FAVORITE DIGS IN TUSCANY
A. RURAL LOCATIONS: All have parking and good food options nearby

1. Relais La Saracina www.lasaracina.it 230 to 300E
Fabulous country home near Montepulciano—helpful owners

2. Cretaiole Agriturismo http://www.cretaiole.it/ Good value for families
Isabella also has 2 apts. in Castelmuzio for rent—wonderful—see her site.

3. Terre di Nano www.terredinano.com 100 to 155
Both rooms and apartments at rural Agriturismo near Monticchiello

4. Casanova di Pescille http://www.casanovadipescille.com/ 100E
Rural B&B 3 KM from famed San Gimignano—we loved the views of San Gim.

5. Fattoria Tregole www.fattoria-tregole.com 110E to 180E
Has both B&B and apartment accommodations. Near Castellina in Chianti

6. Agriturismo apts. near San Quirico— www.poggiolo.info/ About 110E

7. New historic B&B north of Pienza. http://www.camprena.it/index.htm
Site of filming for THE ENGLISH PATIENT About 90E for double

8. http://www.borgoargenina.it/index.html A special rural B&B in Chianti.
The lovely owner, Elena, will make you feel like family. 170E for double

B. IN-TOWN LOCATIONS: For walking convenience to shops & ristorantes.

1. Palazzo del Capitano www.palazzodelcapitano.com 170 to 210E
Very nice small hotel in center of San Quirico—perfect location to explore.

2. Vecchia Oliviera www.vecchiaoliviera.com/ 150 to 200E
Nice 4 star hotel at the gate into lovely Montalcino---has pool.

3. Palazzina Cesari www.montalcinoitaly.com 80 to 110E
Lovely small B&B in heart of Montalcino—great value—2 night stay minimum.

4. Locanda di San Francesco www.locandasanfrancesco.it 180 to 200E
New boutique B&B in a lovely location in Montepulciano—great reviews !

5. Politian apartments http://www.politian.com/ Good value apts. with
minimum stay of 3 nights in Montepulciano---helpful host---85E

6. Palazzo Ravizza www.palazzoravizza.it 170 to 250E
Very nice & popular hotel in Siena with parking.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 06:23 AM

Just a few thoughts:

I love Venice, but I'm not sure about it being a good destination for a 5 and 9. I think I might opt for something near a beach or lake (you said they love the ocean), to give them a break from the usual sightseeing.

What kinds of accommodations are you thinking about? Your stays in each place are long enough to consider apartments instead of hotels, but that's a matter of personal preference.

When to book airfares is tricky these days. We've had decent luck at finding affordable fares if we started our search about 90 days prior to departure date. A lot depends on what you're willing to commit to and whether you're taking out travel insurance. After that, we work on accommodations, using the theory that you can always find a decent (if not perfect) place to stay, but finding a good airfare for your date can be difficult.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 07:00 AM

I think your kids -- and almost all kids -- would be fascinated by Venice. A city with no roads! Canals instead! No trucks, no cars, but waterbuses and water garbage scows and water taxi speedboats!

Search previous posts for suggestions of where to go in Venice with kids. Off the top of my head, I'd suggest a waterbus in the lagoon to the islands of Murano (glass-blowing) and Burano (just small and cute). And a visit to the Squero di San Tommaso, the gondola workshop.

My son and I did a walk where we wandered around getting lost, stumbled onto the Arsenale. Venice isn't that big and there are frequent signs directing you to the main sights, so you won't get really lost.

Venice is crowded spring, summer, and fall. It's best to stay in Venice proper, explore the city in the morning and evening and do your excursions during the afternoon.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 08:35 AM

I agree that Venice is a great destination with kids. And I'll go against the flow and say that a stay on the Lido might be best with small children, who would certainly enjoy playing on the beach after a day in Venice. Just make sure you stay near a vaporetto stop. There are vaporetti that go directly to Murano from the Lido. I suggest you also go to Burano while there, a very pretty little island in the lagoon. I also really like Torcello, although there isn't much to do there. There's a beautiful old church, in ruins now, but it's a bit of a walk from the metro stop.

You might consider Umbria and Le Marche as alternatives to Tuscany. They are equally beautiful regions, and have much less mass tourism. I may be prejudiced, living in Le Marche, but I think the scenery is more beautiful here and the cuisine is much better. However, you'd have to do a little more research precisely because there's less tourism.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 11:49 AM

Ladydem,
These may help
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...o-and-rome.cfm

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the wonderful info. I will have to dig into details at night when I am not in the office

Glad to hear that June will be less crowded compared to August. That was one reason why we picked early part of the summer. It's especially difficult to manage kids in crowded area.

Lake Garda, Dolomites - I should look into these. I have to admit that I am just starting my research so I am fairly clueless at this point. I have heard from friends about Lake Como, Cinque Terre (and pictures look stunning!) …not sure if worth exploring.

We are thinking of staying here (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...i_Tuscany.html) for the middle part of the trip. I hope it's a decent choice to explore the area.

Based on all the suggestions here, I am thinking that I should look for a coastal/lake town for 2-3 days after Tuscany, and then end the trip in Venice (1-2 days) and take a flight back from there. I will anyway have to find a bigger city for the return flight.

Your suggestions are really wonderful. Please keep them coming.

Thanks,
m
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 03:34 PM

After Tuscany I think that Garda/Dolomites is ideal for your scenario---ending in Venice. Hard to beat that time of year.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 09:51 PM

June is less crowded than August in terms of competing with European visitors. However, the steady rise of tourists from Asian countries seem to be filling the period once considered less busy. Make no mistake, June is a high season if not the highest. You are competing for accommodations and flights with fellow foreign tourists. If you are from the US, June is a high air travel season for leisure travelers due to families traveling at the same time out of the US.

Regarding timing of hotels and flights, read between the lines of the recommendations. The recommendations are based on different itinerary likely taken during shoulder or off seasons - different route, different time. Start looking at both accommodations and flights now. I have not seen hotel availability/price or flights to get any better by waiting until spring. When I had to travel in June, I felt January was already late making hotel and flight booking for a June trip.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 01:59 AM

Welcome to Fodors Shally
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 06:08 AM

Actually I think Shallycamp is an advertiser. Having recently joined only to push this one website.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 06:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As to booking hotels and when. I will also be in Italy next year (spending four nights on Lake Como) and I have already booked our hotel there.

Is it necessary this far out? IMO, it is not and often if you do try to book that far ahead you'll get the "no rooms available" message when in fact the hotel simply hasn't decided the rates, etc. You can always email a hotel directly and ask about when they will allow booking for a particular time period.

This is, of course, probably only "necessary" if you are dead set on a particular property. The budget thing and all that I cannot comment on.

You say you want to rent a car and IMO it would be helpful to have one for <B>some</B> parts of Tuscany. Am sure you know that it would only be good for one thing in Venice: parking it!
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 08:07 AM

Mimar, time will tell.
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 09:15 AM

Ladydem,
I think the Dolomites/Lake Garda would work better than Cinque Terre (which you said friends had mentioned). CT is great for views and hiking, although some of the easier hiking paths have been closed in recent years do to landslide damage. Visiting the towns by train or ferry is certainly nice, too. (Cars are no advantage in CT.) But I think for young children, especially in the event of rain, CT would not be particularly fascinating.

Lake Garda would offer more activities for kids (Gardaland, for one, and boating) and Verona is a short train ride away from Peschiera del Garda.
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 06:32 PM

I loved Lake Garda and I think kids would, as well. I don't see kids really enjoying Venice as much.
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 06:39 PM

Oh, your kids will love Gardaland! Take them there, it will be fun for you too, so very Italian. Sirmione is a darling town, my 11 year old was almost in tears when we visited for the day so sad we didn't stay in one of the resorts there.

This last time my kids were 11 and 13, so older than yours, but that trip report (not quite finished but close) is here: http://rovingrichards.com/travel/italy-2014/. The trip before that they were younger than yours but still the report might be helpful and that's on our old website at http://www.markandmonica.com/Travel/italy.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -