Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Car rental Roma Termini vs. Campiani airport

Old Jul 1st, 2014, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from the Amalfi Coast and plan to take train to Rome on a Sunday (10/5/14) and trying to rent a car to drive to Tuscany. Places like Siena and Chiusi not open on Sunday, so car rental at Rome Termini or airport appears to be only option. Should I rent a car at Termini or go to Campiani for car rental?
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 04:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How were you planning to get to Ciampino? If bus, you'd have to check how the Terravision departures fit with your arrival at Termini.

Trains to FCO are twice an hour and take a little less time than the bus to Ciampino. Ciampino is cheaper to get to and easier to navigate, but it's south of Rome so you'd be back-tracking a bit..

Had you thought about what route you wanted to drive? Where are you headed to in Tuscany?
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 04:40 PM

Why not pick up the car at the Naples Airport?
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 04:44 PM

I think you can pick up a car in Salerno on Sundays.
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 04:44 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We had been told told that we couldn't pick up a car in Rome on Sunday but it wasn't true.We were able to get our car in the city Sunday morning. Go to www.autoeurope.com to check if that is still true. We also could have gone to FCO as mentioned above and better located to head to Tuscany than Ciampino..
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Had read that picking up a car in Naples was not easy, so I was thinking Rome. I hadn't figured out the logistics to Ciampino, but it sounds like FCO may be a better option. Seems like Termini and airports are only Sunday options. We are headed to Reggello to an agriturismo for a few days as our base in Tuscany.
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 05:44 PM

Driving in Rome on a Sunday should be a lot easier than a week day - watch out for those no-go zones for private vehicles in nearly all Italian cities now - cameras snap your license plate and weeks/months later you get tickets in the mail as the car rental company gives them your name.

A constant posting here on Fodor's - especially for Florence - not sure the no-fly or no-drive rules are in effect Sundays but if they are stay out. Termini I suppose is in a OK to drive zone but not sure.
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 05:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You should be able to pick up at some of the locations at Villa Borghese on Sunday.

Alternatively, you could take the train to Rome Tiburtina (not TErmini), switch to the Sena bus (10 runs per day - 20€) to Siena (if you are planning to spend a night or two in Siena) and pick your car up the next day.

Another option, take the train from Naples to Florence and pick up at the Florence airport (a few euro bus shuttle - takes about 15 minutes from Florence SMN station).

Without knowing your itinerary for Tuscany, it's hard to suggest the best option.

You could also check the Buonotourist bus from Salerno to FCO. I think there is only one run per day though so the timing might not suit you.

I think it would take you almost as long travel time for Naples/FCO pickup as it would for Naples/Florence airport pickup.
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 06:00 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Villa Borghese = Rome.

Just looked up Reggello which is just a tad south of Florence. I would take the fast train to Florence from Naples (2 1/2 - 3 hours depending on train you select). Take either the shuttle bus or a taxi (set fee 22€ on Sundays + 1€ per bag) to the airport.

http://www.aeroporto.firenze.it/en/p...rport/bus.html

http://www.aeroporto.firenze.it/en/p...port/taxi.html
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 07:15 PM

In case it's not quite clear, what kybourbon is suggesting is picking up the rental car at Florence's airport.A good idea.
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 09:32 PM

I picked up a Hertz car in Naples (rented through autoeurope.com) near the train station and found it surprisingly easy, once I found the Hertz office (a short walk from the station but small so not super obvious). The Hertz garage is only a couple blocks from the autostrada entrance. Might make sense for you to do that too.
Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Based on this feedback, I am going to look into the train from Naples to Florence and rent a car at the Florence airport. We are returning the car there and flying out from Florence later in the week, so that should work out. Since this is our 1st trip to Europe I expect to be submitting more questions. Thanks for your feedback!
Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 03:12 PM

HPBear, Just know that the Florence Rental Car facility "at the airport" is not really... at the airport.

Since you're coming by train into Florence, you might be better positioned to direct your taxi from the Firenze SMN train station to go directly to the Airport Rental Car Facility AND NOT the airport. They are a few miles apart!

As aprillilacs says, there are closer rental options in-town for the pick-up, and you could always drop off at the Airport Facility on return. Good Luck!